• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looks like Feb 25th is Missouri Supreme Court Hearing on Amendment 5.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Just listened to the 32 minute hearing. From what I have heard I don't see the court siding with Dotson. The plaintiffs requested the election results be set aside and a new one called. But even by the plaintiffs own words there would be a constitutional issue with timing. Frankly I don't see the court wanting to go down that road. Also based on the Justices questions it doesn't bode well for dictator Dotson.
Never rely on the questions asked by the justices. I have seen to many judges tell you the world is round as they kick you off the edge.....

kcgunfan

Seems like the justices had a beef with the time window to challenge the ballot language, but feel it needs a legislative remedy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dkangel

Seems like the justices had a beef with the time window to challenge the ballot language, but feel it needs a legislative remedy.

They did discuss the time windows. However even with the short timeframe they had time to do the appeal but it fell short due to the plaintiffs own actions and there was no collusion was going on (the female justice agreed with this 12:10-12:14). Furthermore even if the judges thought the time window was short no laws were broken and the defense very clearly articulated the time window has been on the books for a very long time.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Der Kommissar Dotson is no fan of the 2A/Art I, Sec 23, no matter the language. This (his) challenge should fail because the summary is not the issue when the full text of the ballot measure must be available at each polling place. Odd that that was not mentioned...unless I missed it being mentioned.

kcgunfan

It was mentioned, and questions asked about absentee voters such as overseas military. The response was that the full text was posted at each polling place and properly posted on the SoS website.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Der Kommissar Dotson is no fan of the 2A/Art I, Sec 23, no matter the language. This (his) challenge should fail because the summary is not the issue when the full text of the ballot measure must be available at each polling place. Odd that that was not mentioned...unless I missed it being mentioned.

Yes, it was discussed. It was even mentioned that it was in the NEWS papers. Dotson admitted that the full text was distributed far and wide.