• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chris Johnson (Jets RB) Arrested For Open Carry in FL

yankees98a

"Jets running back Chris Johnson was charged and booked in his native Orlando, Florida, on Friday on a second-degree misdemeanor charge of open carrying of weapons/firearms, according to the online records of the Orange County Clerk of Courts.

Orlando Police Department Sergeant Wanda Ford confirmed to NFL Media that Johnson was arrested Friday night.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the 29-year-old was pulled over for rolling through a stop sign, per a source close to the player. The police officer asked to search his car. Johnson cooperated, as he had nothing to hide. The police found his licensed and registered firearm under a book bag under his seat instead of locked up in the car.

The running back just capped off a disappointing season in New York with the Jets.

The timing is obviously not fortuitous for Johnson, who will have a new general manager in the coming weeks; one that will decide whether to bring him back."

Total BS.. Sounds like he stupidly consented to a search and helped the cops fill their quota. Will the gun groups help support him in this case?

Last edited:

Lord Sega

[snip...] "charged and booked in his native Orlando, Florida, on Friday on a second-degree misdemeanor charge of open carrying of weapons/firearms," [/snip]

Sounds concealed, not OC, to me. No mention if he has a CCW.

[snip...] "The police found his licensed and registered firearm under a book bag under his seat instead of locked up in the car." [/snip]

A Florida lawyer site states that "The most common arrest for carrying a concealed firearm in Florida is when a hand gun is placed under a seat in a car without the hand gun being placed inside a snapped holster. This is generally against the law because the firearm is not “securely encased”. (underline mine)

Not locked, just securely encased. LINK

IANAL and I am not in Florida, so please correct me. I don't see OC here, I see concealed but not carried. Not sure that even if he does have a CCW if the car carry must still be securely encased if off body.

Eagerly awaiting a Florida expert to join in the discussion.

sudden valley gunner

Doing a search I see two different reports.

That the officer saw the fire arm or the officer found the fire arm.

No victim, no crime. Wonder if they even charged him with the failure to stop?

Kopis

Does state law require a gun to be in a holster/range bag at all times? whole thing sounds strange. Why not just tell him to get a holster?

conandan

There is no law that requires you to inform LEO'S that you are carrying. However the LEO'S will tell you that you do have to inform and some will give you a very hard time if you don't. You do have to tell them if they ask if you have any weapons on you or in your vehicle.

You do not need a Concealed license to carry in your vehicle as long as it is securely in cased and not readily accessible.

Securely in cased is in a retention holster, glove box, or anything you have to open or unlock, velcro strap or button to push.

Last edited:

Kopis

conandan,

So if you DO have a FL CCW or other recognized permit, is your firearm required to be in a case? What is the law on long guns?

conandan

conandan,

So if you DO have a FL CCW or other recognized permit, is your firearm required to be in a case? What is the law on long guns?

If you have any ccw that Florida accepts it does not need to be in a case. Or securely in cased, that's the term Florida uses.

I do not know the laws on long guns other than they can't be loaded when transporting in a vehicle.

conandan

I did a quick look through 790 statues. The only thing I found so far was you have to show your ccw upon demand from a Leo. 790.06 I believe it was. And as said above. You do not want to lie and say you don't have a firearm. They will make it very hard on you if they find it.

In Florida you really don't have much to worry about with a firearm in your vehicle. As long as it meets the securely encased standard, if you do not have a ccw.

twoskinsonemanns

I've had this situation happen to me. Pulled over for tag expiration (not 100% sure but my belief and agreed with by the DMV drones that my little sticker indicating the year the tag expires was stolen).
Anyway it went like this:

Cop: Your tag is expired.
Me: Here's my registration it clearly is not expired.
Cop: You must have forgotten to put the little sticker on your tag. Do you have any weapons in your vehicle?
Me: What?
Cop: Do you have any guns or other weapons?
Me: Why are you asking me about guns?
Cop: For both of our safeties.
Me: I'm not answering your question.
Cop: Ok so that means you do have a gun. (he literally said exactly this)
Me: What's the point of asking? If I was a criminal I would just lie about it.
Cop: We are trained to tell if you are lying or not.
Me: I'm not answering.
Cop: Look just answer my question and I won't write you a ticket and you can be on your way.

Kopis

I've had this situation happen to me. Pulled over for tag expiration (not 100% sure but my belief and agreed with by the DMV drones that my little sticker indicating the year the tag expires was stolen).

Cop: You must have forgotten to put the little sticker on your tag. Do you have any weapons in your vehicle?
Cop: Look just answer my question and I won't write you a ticket and you can be on your way.

Bolded your statement. Criminals would just lie. Just like they wouldnt obey a "no firearms" sign. It's all rather silly.

sudden valley gunner

If you have any ccw that Florida accepts it does not need to be in a case. Or securely in cased, that's the term Florida uses.

I do not know the laws on long guns other than they can't be loaded when transporting in a vehicle.

So on the surface by the reports he wasn't breaking any law, including "open carry"?

I did a quick look through 790 statues. The only thing I found so far was you have to show your ccw upon demand from a Leo. 790.06 I believe it was. And as said above. You do not want to lie and say you don't have a firearm. They will make it very hard on you if they find it.

In Florida you really don't have much to worry about with a firearm in your vehicle. As long as it meets the securely encased standard, if you do not have a ccw.

I thought Florida had a court case that showed this means only when lawful to do so. Like surrendering ID papers.?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

That would be a great exchange on my dash cam. I'll even take the ticket to introduce it in court.

Please tell me you've since acquired a dash cam!

Last edited:

OC for ME

How on earth is you knowing, one way or the other, making anyone safer? You should believe that I am armed so why ask in the first place?

The height of arrogance, or is it just a Pavlovian response?