Thread: Automatically directs to another link...

Automatically directs to another link...

NO Idea where to post this so hope this is the right place to put it.

On certain forums, I'll be in the "main section" and it'll automatically go to an ad. I'll go back to the forum by hitting my browsers back button but it'll send me to the ad site again. It doesn't give me an option to go back to where I came from. It has done this in different forums (WV Events being one and General questions another). I've scanned/etc my laptop however the only place this happens is on this forum.

Any ideas?

Banned
    http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html

you can d/l hijackthis and then search the web regarding anything specific you see or post the hijack log and folks might be able to help further...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentMom View Post
    NO Idea where to post this so hope this is the right place to put it.

On certain forums, I'll be in the "main section" and it'll automatically go to an ad. I'll go back to the forum by hitting my browsers back button but it'll send me to the ad site again. It doesn't give me an option to go back to where I came from. It has done this in different forums (WV Events being one and General questions another). I've scanned/etc my laptop however the only place this happens is on this forum.

Any ideas?
    I do not experience problems with either.

Suggest scanning with Spyware Terminator - see freeware, and/or Malwarebytes anti malware. You would seem to have critters.

See items #7 & #8: http://en.softonic.com/s/spyware-terminator-2014
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Hmm weird, I've had at least one similar occurance. I am confident that I do not have malware, but had chalked up my experiences to misclicks or something. It is interesting that another is reporting similar site behavior. It could just be coincidence, or perhaps not. It hasn't happened to me in a while.

Normally, thoroughly scanning the client PC for malware would be the correct course of action but user has already scanned and is confident that this forum is the only place this occurs. It is at least plausible that something is up with the site. Potentially a malicious advertosement is being loaded. Many of the ads appear to be targeted thus a malicious ad might only be shown to a small percentage of user base depending on how it was categorized. just me speculating.
    Advocate freedom please

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I had several experiences of this exact nature today. I would not dismiss it too quick Grape. It happened only on this site and from a very protected company PC. (protected meaning they don't trust me to d/l anything and have over site to install anything. Chances of it being malware on the PC end very very small.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I had several experiences of this exact nature today. I would not dismiss it too quick Grape. It happened only on this site and from a very protected company PC. (protected meaning they don't trust me to d/l anything and have over site to install anything. Chances of it being malware on the PC end very very small.
    Not dismissing anything - only suggesting that the base be covered.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Y'alls' DNS servers are subject to corruption and hijacking of IP addresses, the reason that I avoid my ISP's server and any untrusted commercial enterprises' - read particularly G00gle. If you intentionally specify an invalid URL/IP do you get a simple error or are you redirected to some commercial site? Follow the money.

Administer your own local HOSTS file for commonly used web sites and specify your trusted DNS in your servers/routers/browsers.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Not dismissing anything - only suggesting that the base be covered.
    I've never seen a re-direct on/from this site.

Although sometime when I do a search I get directed to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I've never experienced that on this site, but I use Firefox with AdBlock Plus and have since I built this computer. I'd recommend using both. With AdBlock Plus you avoid those irritating redirects. The only downside, if you frequent sites like YouTube, is that it also blocks their ads by default. Most people probably don't care about that, but I spend a lot of my time on the computer watching specific youtubers, and I want them to get whatever small amount of money my views awards them. With the ads blocked, they don't get that money. So I'll usually disable it when I'm about to watch their videos.

But on to the original point, if you want AdBlock, go to the menu bar of firefox and click on Tools > Addons and just search for it, then install it. Just a hair easier than making an anti-gunner mad.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    doing it from a different PC. This is where it's directing me. fyi

http://lemode-mgz.com/fd/5678/specia...y.org&dtd=3106
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    doing it from a different PC. This is where it's directing me. fyi

http://lemode-mgz.com/fd/5678/specia...y.org&dtd=3106
    Has been reported to the Administrator.

I will do a scan of the forum server to see if there is any identifiable malware but we are on the latest version and locked down pretty tight.

In the meantime, please keep reporting any issues here.

Thanks.

John

Thanks, a scan found nothing... Hmm...

Google admits that it is their problem.

https://productforums.google.com/for...B1-25-false%5D

"Thanks for sending us this information. I've forwarded it to the AdWords malvertising team for their ongoing investigation. At this point, the redirect issue is known and our engineers are currently working on a fix as we speak. It appears to be one source that is changing destination URLs. Hopefully a permanent fix should be delivered today or ASAP. "