Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your first gun you shot and how old?

What was your first gun you shot and how old?

When I was 15 it was 1991 I shot a smith and wesson model 681 for the first time. Having never shot a gun in my life I was not sure what to expect. I walked in to the range a scared teenager and came out an avid firearms lover for life.

What is your story?
    Full Supporter of the second Amendment!

Be careful seeking advice on Forums pertaining to law. Bad advice is often given from people who do not know or understand the law. Always read the law yourself and if you do not understand seek legal advice from a qualified legal expert. Following online advice can land you in legal trouble.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    13 yo shot my uncles 12ga shotgun. Parents freaked.
    5 years later....
    18 yo. 22LR rifle bought from walmart in the weeks between turning 18 and moving off to college.
    My parents freaked.
    9 years later...
    my kid shooting the same 22LR when he is 6 yo.... heh heh heh
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Banned
    M65 ... 9 yrs old

Probably Dad's Ruger 22 pistol when I was 8.

Could have been Dad's Winchester Model 12 at the yearly turkey shoots at his work, but I don't remember how old I was when I started going to those.

Centurion
    Seems to me the first gun I fired was a .22LR rifle---- I have no idea how old it was as it was borrowed---- OH, I was probably 13-14 years old and it was in done in KOMMIFORNIA! I also went to the local hardware store and bought 2 boxes of .22LR ammo all by my lonesome without a parent or any other supervision!

No, I did not shoot out my eye!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

22lr at South Houston indoor gun range when I was 8. 12 ga in High School duck hunting16-18 y/o. Remember first time I shot a Marlin bolt action 10ga Goose gun - 19 y/o - the cow patty off the back porch of the duck camp was vaporized...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Daisy110 bb rifle at 6 years old 😄

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MNMGoneShooting View Post
    Daisy110 bb rifle at 6 years old 😄
    You'll shoot yer eye out !

Honestly do not remember, probably a bb gun at around 6 or 7 yo. I was shooting a 22 single IIRC around 12.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Daisy Red Ryder BB gun at 6 yo - didn't put my eye out, but did smash my fingers by pulling the trigger with the lever not closed....only did that once.

.22 cal rifle at age 8 - JrNRA matches followed.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I was given a bb gun at an early age, maybe 8 or 10 somewhere around there. I was hunting some with the old mans 22lr semi auto at age 13 ! As most country folks we had a dog. At least twice a week that old dog would tree a possum in the middle of the night ! The old man would come in and wake me and my brother saying old Nero has got a possum treed yall take the rifle and the flash light and shoot the possum out of the tree for him so I can get some sleep !!! That really got old but I sure miss it now, especially old Nero that dog was like my brother !!! Opps , sorry I got carried away !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Daisy Red Ryder BB gun at 6 yo - didn't put my eye out, but did smash my fingers by pulling the trigger with the lever not closed....only did that once.

.22 cal rifle at age 8 - JrNRA matches followed.
    I'm pretty sure I got my first BB gun at 6 or 7 years old as well.

First gun I ever shot was actually a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. I was 8 or 9 years old. Sat down legs forward, rested the gun on my knees, and squeezed the trigger. It rolled me backwards. Haha. Dad couldn't stop laughing.

Got my 30.06 for my 12th birthday.

First pistol was a Walther PPK replica Gamo pellet pistol when I was about 11 or 12. I loved that thing.
    Last edited by The Truth; 01-11-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

First shotgun: Iver Johnson single shot 16 ga. At age 9
    First rifle: Harrington & Richardson Model 865 Plainsman at age 9
    First handgun: Black Powder Navy .44cal kit gun at age 11

All were my dads. My dad passed them down to me and I still own the shotgun and rifle but the revolver was stolen back in the 80's. As far as the .gov is concerned, all were lost during a freak boating accident.

About 8 years old, Mosin Nagant (probably M44, or another of carbine-length). As I NOW understand, it wasn't just me being weak that made it impossible for me to cycle it.
    Didn't really get into guns though, seeing as nobody we knew was really into the shooting sports, but a seed was planted. Wasn't until I went off to college that it became a full-blown passion.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    13 yo shot my uncles 12ga shotgun. Parents freaked.
    5 years later....
    18 yo. 22LR rifle bought from walmart in the weeks between turning 18 and moving off to college.
    My parents freaked.
    9 years later...
    my kid shooting the same 22LR when he is 6 yo.... heh heh heh
    Reading this put a huge grin on my face.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    My dad had me shooting a little "smoothbore" pump-action .22 rifle (an old carnival "gallery" gun) when I was about 5-6. About 2 years later, he had me shooting his Natl. Guard M-1 Garand.

I was hooked.
    "Smoothbore" carnival guns are the modern day equivalent of muskets and share the less than tack driving accuracy of their predecessors. They were fun though - you paid your money and took your chances on a kewpie doll.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I was about 13 in a foster home. The first day I was there, my foster father handed me a single shot, break action, .22lr rifle. He showed me how to use it, how to clean it and took me out back to his home made target range.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Age was seven. My Mother gave me a .22 rifle and we shot in the "range" in the cellar. I spent a lot of time with that little rifle. I even took it to school and refinished the stock in woodshop. Hard to believe what has happened to new jersey.
    Got my first pistol at eighteen. US Navy issue Remington Rand .45 cal 1911. That pistol saved my life more than once.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

14yo. .22lr revolver in the hunting woods of the Okanogan, WA area.

Next time was in 2006; shot xd-9, glock 27, and something I forget.

Then in March 2013 I went with some friends to shoot. Since then, I've tried to go to the range or shoot once a month. I think I'm 10.5/12 over the past two years.

My wife had a .22 rifle before we met, and since 2013, we've lost 1 .22 rifle, 4 9mm, and 2 .380s in horrible boating accidents. This year I really hope not to lose- in another boating accident- a 1911 .45 and a rifle.

My Grandfather's Remington Fieldmaster Model 121 Takedown Pump .22 rifle. Not sure how old I was, but I know I was younger than 9.

My Dad's 1966 Derringer in .22Mag, loaded with snake shot, back in 68. He gave it to me before I went under a four-row cotton picker to check the machine prior to the days use. Shot a snake and I think I was more scared of the Derringer than the copper head snake (about a foot & a half long if I recall, he looked about 10' long) I ran into under the machine and shot with the Derringer.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

BB gun when I was young, don't remember what age. 22lr at Boy Scout Camp.
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

First rifle was a Winchester model 61 of my grandfathers back in 1957. As a youngster of ten, I spent many hours hunting the fields and woods of eastern Johnson County, Kansas. I can remember being able to visually watch the .22 shorts leaving the bbl. and in flight for maybe 10 yards or so back then, as the muzzle velocity was so low on the old .22 shorts (or maybe my eyes were so much better). Probably a combination of both.

First handgun was a Ruger old model flattop .357 mag. in early 1958. It was a cool spring evening when a friend of the family brought the (then fairly new) old flattop to our farm to shoot. It was getting dark and I remember vividly the muzzle flash of the 158gr. lswc from the 4 5/8" bbl in the evening setting sun and the smell of the gunpowder.

First shotgun was an old double barrel external hammer damascus steel 12ga. This was not too bad to shoot, even for a youngster as the loads were light and the shotgun was heavy, though I do not remember the brand or bbl. length.

Stevens 410 gauge single-barrel shotgun @ age 6. By age 8 I was squirrel hunting by myself on our hillside home.

.30-06, forget the make/model, bolt-action rifle @ age 10.

Both weapons was a christmas present at each age.

Growing up in eastern Kentucky, in the hills, back in the early 90s, no one really cared that kids 8, 9, 10, etc would hunt with live-fire weapons, by themselves. Because our parents taught us what to, and not to do, and hell, when my Dad was at work, and it was squirrel season, turkey, rabbit, etc, my mom would give me a box of shells, and tell me to go play, and not to shoot the neighbor's cows. Just like when my parents was that age, their parents would send them out to play all day, with knives, guns, cars, whatever, ya know? Kids my age and older in Kentucky, and other gun-friendly areas, and rural areas, we'd be told to go out and play, and we'd not come home until dinner, but we knew we was safe, our parents knew we'd be safe, and we didnt have a care in the world.

Kids these days, oi, they spend too much time on the computer, and consoles, then when they dont have an outlet for their kid-ish energy, their parents put them on dope meds under the guise of ADHD.

Even though I'm gay, I do have the prospect of having a kid sooner or later, blood or by law, but I know I'm gonna make sure they know what I knew about guns, at 6 they'll get a shot gun, 10 a rifle, 15 a pistol, just like I did; I just hoep that when they do, that it'll be without having to get such things from a black market, or from a mobster, or whatever, cuz I have an odd feeling that when I have kids who come of age, the things I enjoyed in my youth, will be all but gone.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

BB gun don't really remember it much about it.

The first gun I shot that I remember was 43 years ago. My Christmas present a H&R Topper 158 .410. Still have it.

What was your first gun you shot and how old?

.22 short Remington clone of Browning .22 semiauto. Probably around 10 years old or so. 20 gauge single shot shotgun, about 14. .22lr Colt frontier scout single action revolver, about 15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast