• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Define Open Carry in North Carolina

rek_xds45

I want to start open carrying with an IWB holster with my shirt tucked in to see the grip of the gun... Is this allowed in North Carolina or does it need to be in an OWB holster?? Reason being for using IWB its more comfortable and easier to get into and out of my vehicle... You may say just get a CCW which I will in the future but money is tight its not a requirement because NC allows open carry... thanks!

Some info I found on wikipedia but it doesnt list which states allow what..

Open carry
The act of publicly carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight.
Plain sight
Broadly defined as not being hidden from common observation; varies somewhat from state to state. Some states specify that open carry occurs when the weapon is "partially visible," while other jurisdictions require the weapon to be "fully visible" to be considered carried openly.

WalkingWolf

I want to start open carrying with an IWB holster with my shirt tucked in to see the grip of the gun... Is this allowed in North Carolina or does it need to be in an OWB holster?? Reason being for using IWB its more comfortable and easier to get into and out of my vehicle... You may say just get a CCW which I will in the future but money is tight its not a requirement because NC allows open carry... thanks!

Some info I found on wikipedia but it doesnt list which states allow what..

Open carry
The act of publicly carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight.
Plain sight
Broadly defined as not being hidden from common observation; varies somewhat from state to state. Some states specify that open carry occurs when the weapon is "partially visible," while other jurisdictions require the weapon to be "fully visible" to be considered carried openly.

IMO it clearly is open carry, but be warned humans interpret things different from others. And some of those humans wear badges. That said I don't think I have ever heard of a problem with IWB OC in NC.

Personally I find IWB uncomfortable, one of the reasons for OC is comfort. Another reason is deterrence, and a IWB is less visible than a OWB.

bc.cruiser

Although it is just a picture, the two girls on the right at the top of the page are examples of IWB OC. I have guns that go into a clip holster into either a front or rear pocket and only leaves the handgrip showing; these are all OC as the handgrip is plainly visible (if you notice), and I do not have to uncover anything to draw them.

tiedie

Although it is just a picture, the two girls on the right at the top of the page are examples of IWB OC. I have guns that go into a clip holster into either a front or rear pocket and only leaves the handgrip showing; these are all OC as the handgrip is plainly visible (if you notice), and I do not have to uncover anything to draw them.

IMO it clearly is open carry, but be warned humans interpret things different from others. And some of those humans wear badges. That said I don't think I have ever heard of a problem with IWB OC in NC.

Personally I find IWB uncomfortable, one of the reasons for OC is comfort. Another reason is deterrence, and a IWB is less visible than a OWB.

Both answers are correct. I know I don't have to tell you this. But don't put a coat on or cover that handle it will become concealed.