• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

flashlights in Tulsa

Glock 1st fan

Ive read where people have asked about flashlights. Recently i went to oklahoma police supply in Tulsa and to my amazement the technology has came down in price while the quality went up.

How many of my fellow okies have trained with a flashlight? If you havent then you should check out special ops on admiral or oklahoma police supply on admiral.

I personally carry the fenix brand flashlights and if you chose this route you wont go wrong.

Consider it an investment that could easily save your life in a critical situation.

The Truth

Why carry such a humongous, antiquated 6-D MagLite when you can carry something a quarter of the size and 3X the brightness?

Fenix, Nitecore, and Surefire seem to be the best options for tac-lights. Insane brightness (1,000+ lumens) or downright batsh!t crazy brightness (3,000+ lumens) can be had in a reasonable sized flashlight now if you're willing to pay the price.

I use an advertised 500 lumen light now (some no name junk), but it seems more like around 300. I've been thinking of upgrading for a while now. I'm still trying to find a good hybrid light that has exceptional throw without sacrificing too much on the flood aspect of the light.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why carry such a humongous, antiquated 6-D MagLite when you can carry something a quarter of the size and 3X the brightness?

Fenix, Nitecore, and Surefire seem to be the best options for tac-lights. Insane brightness (1,000+ lumens) or downright batsh!t crazy brightness (3,000+ lumens) can be had in a reasonable sized flashlight now if you're willing to pay the price.

I use an advertised 500 lumen light now (some no name junk), but it seems more like around 300. I've been thinking of upgrading for a while now. I'm still trying to find a good hybrid light that has exceptional throw without sacrificing too much on the flood aspect of the light.

Had the Maglites for 20 years and they work fine AND they can ping someone pretty good over the head.

Glock 1st fan

Had the Maglites for 20 years and they work fine AND they can ping someone pretty good over the head.

Oddly when I started my career back in 1996 (Worked a few different places but do the same work) I was like most young men in blue in that I wanted a big flashlight to ping with, I wanted a big gun with a lot of bullets just in case and I had a belt to make Batman Jealous as well. Fast forward 18 years and I am singing a different tune. I am thankful for my Glock which is far lighter then most if not all Stainless firearms on the market and I now carry one pair of restraints on my person and more in a bag I leave in the car or at the desk.

I no longer want to carry 20 magazines but instead carry the standard 3 with more in my bag just in case. I have discovered through the years that when you add a ballistic vest, 2 pairs of handcuffs, Stainless steele firearms, high cap mags, pepper spray, taser, asp baton and what ever else you can cram on you that your back starts barking at you through the years and so does little things like your knees and so forth.

As a person carries alot of equipment for his job youll notice he starts to shed weight and seeks lighter and smaller gear.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've used em all my life too, but the technology has taken over and I am now a bright LED convert.

Once you've blinded them with your 3-zillion lumens strobe, how are you going to deal with them? That hefty club can be used for lots of stuff besides bashing in heads. And it does not come with those "teeth" on the front of the bezel that chews your pants pockets all to heck.

Handheld landing lights are great for lighting up stuff and people and starting campfires, and their run times have increased greatly.

But sometimes you just want/need something to thwack into the palm of your hand to convince another person that altering their decision and reversing course would be a good idea, without needing to worry about someone complaining that you drew a gun on them while all they were doing was soliciting money for the disabled nuns' retirement home's party for blind orphans.

stay safe.

The Truth

Once you've blinded them with your 3-zillion lumens strobe, how are you going to deal with them? That hefty club can be used for lots of stuff besides bashing in heads. And it does not come with those "teeth" on the front of the bezel that chews your pants pockets all to heck.

Handheld landing lights are great for lighting up stuff and people and starting campfires, and their run times have increased greatly.

But sometimes you just want/need something to thwack into the palm of your hand to convince another person that altering their decision and reversing course would be a good idea, without needing to worry about someone complaining that you drew a gun on them while all they were doing was soliciting money for the disabled nuns' retirement home's party for blind orphans.

stay safe.

:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Arin Morris

I carry a Streamlight MicroStream. It's not a weapon light, just a small single AAA battery flashlight that works well for general purposes.

Kopis

I have a fenix and a friend who owns a lighting story gave me a streamlight. It's wayyyyy brighter than the fenix but they're both more than adequate. Great EDC item especially during winter. they're so bright, you could easily stun or surprise an attacker.

djdavis75

I have several Olight flashlights, including two M20SX 500 lumen, one I have mounted on my M4. They are great little lights, bright and easy to carry around.

I also have the SR90 which is basically a spotlight. I can light up the corner of my property 250 yards away, no problem.

We've bought various models as gifts for family members and everyone loves them. All of the new LED lights are amazing, even brighter than the ones I have now.

Elm Creek Smith

At work, I carry an EagleTac P20A2 in my cargo pocket next to my S&W Model 37 Airweight Chiefs Special pocket holster. I carry a SureFire G2 Nitrolon in my jacket/vest pocket off duty. I train with them when I shoot, monthly.