Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: How best to carry in Nevada (non-resident)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    24

    How best to carry in Nevada (non-resident)

    I was born and raised to 13years old in Henderson and Vegas, we left at that time. In 2014 both parents retired and returned to Henderson. I visit my parents several times a year in Henderson/Clark County, I have a Missouri CCW which is not recognized by Nevada. I've been carrying concealed for 4+ years. How best could I approach this situation? Go about the process to get a Nevada non-resident? Open Carry even though its not for me personally? (to be clear I support it 100% for everyone...but I've never done it, yet.) I considered other states with non-resident CCWs like Utah or Florida but those aren't recognized by Nevada, either.
    I can fly with my firearm, no problem and shoot with my Dad but the real point of bringing it, is too carry it.

    Thanks
    Last edited by VinnAY; 01-13-2015 at 11:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    487
    You are on the right track. If you prefer CC, get your nv permit rolling. OC until you get your card.
    ---
    Carry On

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    You will need (at least until the law maybe changes this summer) the permit to conceal recognized by Nevada, and like you say, none of yours are. Sorry about that. You can start the process here on your next visit (it must be done in person, and the training must take place in the state) but it will take four months to receive your permit and you can't conceal until it is issued.

    If it is easy for you to get the nearby Kansas permit, that will be recognized in Nevada.

    Open carry is alive and well in Nevada, even in metropolitan Las Vegas. There are very few places that will ask you to leave because of it. You can go it alone, or let us know when you are in town and there are several who can be available for an afternoon to get you used to it.

    Without a permit, you can also have the handgun fully loaded and anywhere in your vehicle at all times, too.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-13-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    24
    Thanks guys I may just have to suck it up and have this be my introduction to open carry. Unfortunately KS has no non-resident CCWs.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
    Thanks guys I may just have to suck it up and have this be my introduction to open carry. Unfortunately KS has no non-resident CCWs.
    If you "Embrace" the experience, You will most likely have an awesome time.
    Pick your rig, and practice different dress options, Casual Semi, Etc.
    Realize that while the experience is new to you, It most likely wont be fro the people observing you.
    When you recognize that you are actually exercising your 2-A (not permission) It might make you a proud man. (Jus Sayin)

  6. #6
    Regular Member garand_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    495
    Open carry when you visit. It will limit you from carrying in casinos and what not, but the legal restrictions are few and the social worries are none. I've met a few travelers from out of state who open carry here because they can't conceal.

    If you do get a CCW, as a non-resident, you can pick any county. Find one that has a quick turn around time. Fly into Reno, check out maybe Douglas or Hawthorne counties. IDK. Nevada Shooters has a good thread on it. BTW, Hawthorne is a county here, right?
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

    Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by garand_guy View Post
    ...BTW, Hawthorne is a county here, right?
    It's the county seat of Mineral County.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member garand_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    It's the county seat of Mineral County.
    Gotta brush up on my Nevada counties. Good thing I know I live in Las Vegas County! Whew!
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

    Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by garand_guy View Post
    Gotta brush up on my Nevada counties. Good thing I know I live in Las Vegas County! Whew!
    NO, NO. NO. Las Vegas is in California County! At least is sure seems like it sometimes. I always apologize to the rest of the state after an election.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-13-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    48
    Any reason why NV is so strict on permits they recognize? NV is one of the worst, besides New England states.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    Any reason why NV is so strict on permits they recognize? NV is one of the worst, besides New England states.
    The Nevada CCW program is regulated heavily by a Non-Profit organization, The Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    The Nevada CCW program is regulated heavily by a Non-Profit organization, The Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association.
    The Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association has been show thanks to DTOM and others they do have their on agenda. I am of the opinion they make their decisions on their own agenda and political pressure with very little input from pro-gun groups.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    Any reason why NV is so strict on permits they recognize? NV is one of the worst, besides New England states.
    NV law basically says that NV will recognize a permit from another state if their issuing standards are at least as restrictive as ours. Many states don't have a live-fire qualification requirement, so they are out. Some states have a longer than five-year renewal, so they are out. Some states don't have at least 8 hours of required, certified training, so they are out.

    While it is a problem that there is a non-profit private corporation making the determination whether or not those states are at least 'up to our standards,' it is a different problem.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    NV law basically says that NV will recognize a permit from another state if their issuing standards are at least as restrictive as ours. Many states don't have a live-fire qualification requirement, so they are out. Some states have a longer than five-year renewal, so they are out. Some states don't have at least 8 hours of required, certified training, so they are out.

    While it is a problem that there is a non-profit private corporation making the determination whether or not those states are at least 'up to our standards,' it is a different problem.
    While these points are accurate, It is hard to ignore the fact that the NSCA was formed in the same legislative session that allows CCW with other states. It was a "round table" with very little involvement allowed from non governmental groups and individuals. They have been effective at ensuring the majority of visitors to Nevada, leave their means of self defense at home. Reading through the legislative intent is upsetting. Watch who objects to any constitutional carry laws, and see what happens, The NSCA is the 800 lb. gorilla.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    3
    Hi Folks.

    Hopefully this is a good thread to drop a question. I have been reading a lot on this forum recently regarding OC. I am a CCW resident of Montana, looking to travel to Calif. (Ya, I know, dumb but necessary). Normally I carry IWB concealed. My permit is good in Idaho, but obviously NV is in the route to Calif via I-80. I have read in another thread that you can get away with an IWB as long as you shirt is tucked in and the gun is visible. And in this thread I have read that OC is really not an issue. However, there is one issue that has not really been addressed directly. I am an old guy and will probably stop at a rest stop or two on the way through the state.

    Question one: Anybody had any direct live experience as to what "Display" means (In terms a dummy can understand)? Do I have to leave a loaded gun in the car if I use the Facilities? Or does display mean showing it around out of the holster?

    Also, I will probably stay at the Shilo Inn in Elko. Any issues there that I should know about with OC? I'd hate like hell to loose a 1600$ firearm or get arrested inadvertently.

    Any assistance on this would be of great value.

    Thanks in advance.

    John
    Billings, MT

  16. #16
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSCShooter View Post
    Hi Folks.

    Hopefully this is a good thread to drop a question. I have been reading a lot on this forum recently regarding OC. I am a CCW resident of Montana, looking to travel to Calif. (Ya, I know, dumb but necessary). Normally I carry IWB concealed. My permit is good in Idaho, but obviously NV is in the route to Calif via I-80. I have read in another thread that you can get away with an IWB as long as you shirt is tucked in and the gun is visible. And in this thread I have read that OC is really not an issue. However, there is one issue that has not really been addressed directly. I am an old guy and will probably stop at a rest stop or two on the way through the state.

    Question one: Anybody had any direct live experience as to what "Display" means (In terms a dummy can understand)? Do I have to leave a loaded gun in the car if I use the Facilities? Or does display mean showing it around out of the holster?

    Also, I will probably stay at the Shilo Inn in Elko. Any issues there that I should know about with OC? I'd hate like hell to loose a 1600$ firearm or get arrested inadvertently.

    Any assistance on this would be of great value.

    Thanks in advance.

    John
    Billings, MT
    John you are good to go. As long as your firearm is recognizable by ordinary observation you are fine. Don't worry, it causes stress wrinkles.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by IPSCShooter View Post
    I'd hate like hell to loose a 1600$ firearm or get arrested inadvertently.

    T
    Try not to let your firearm loose and you should be fine.

  18. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    John you are good to go. As long as your firearm is recognizable by ordinary observation you are fine. Don't worry, it causes stress wrinkles.

    TBG
    Okay, but what about the "Rest Areas"? Is that included in your answer? That's the one that worry's me the most. I know they have a DOT reg on "Displaying a firearm" in a rest area with a up to $1000.00 Fine. That would ruin my trip

    And, thanks to Big Guy and Steve for the super fast answers.

    John
    Billings, MT
    Last edited by IPSCShooter; 05-01-2015 at 09:36 PM.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    That law about 'displaying in a rest area' has never actually been used, to my knowledge. I've never met a cop or prosecutor who even knows what it means. Practically, we completely ignore that law because of its vagueness. We all travel the interstates and use the rest areas with loaded guns openly carried in our holsters.

    EDIT with details:

    Nevada Administrative Code 408.615 says that one may not "exhibit or use a firearm or other weapon" in a roadside park or rest area. This makes it even more clear that a holstered gun is fine. And note that this is an administrative code, not a Nevada Revised Statute. The difference is significant. State preemption laws are strong in Nevada in at least one important way relevant to this issue: NAC's do not come from the Legislature, and are therefore null and void when it comes to firearms and ammunition regulations.

    And lastly, let's assume the world falls apart and someone nabs you for it and they throw the book at you. The penalty, per NRS 408.433, for your first violation, is a $100 fine. And you'd be the first I've ever heard of.

    What "DOT reg" do you "know" about?
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-02-2015 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typo
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  20. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That law about 'displaying in a rest area' has never actually been used, to my knowledge. I've never met a cop or prosecutor who even knows what it means. Practically, we completely ignore that law because of its vagueness. We all travel the interstates and use the rest areas with loaded guns openly carried in our holsters.

    EDIT with details:

    Nevada Administrative Code 408.615 says that one may not "exhibit or use a firearm or other weapon" in a roadside park or rest area. This makes is even more clear that a holstered gun is fine. And note that this is an administrative code, not a Nevada Revised Statute. The difference is significant. State preemption laws are strong in Nevada in at least one important way relevant to this issue: NAC's do not come from the Legislature, and are therefore null and void when it comes to firearms and ammunition regulations.

    And lastly, let's assume the world falls apart and someone nabs you for it and they throw the book at you. The penalty, per NRS 408.433, for your first violation, is a $100 fine. And you'd be the first I've ever heard of.

    What "DOT reg" do you "know" about?
    Thanks Mac. The word was "exhibit", not display. That is the regulation I was worried about. It is Nevada's Dept. of Transportation, Roadside Parks and Safety Areas. And, I do believe they have changed the fine to "up to $1000.00".


    Quote:

    "NV Rev Stat 408.433 (2014)

    1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 408.553, it is unlawful for any person, firm, corporation, association or other entity, other than a public utility, to:

    (a) Sell, exhibit or offer for sale any goods, wares, products, merchandise or services; or

    (b) Erect, place, post or maintain any sign, billboard, placard, notice or other form of advertising,

    in any roadside park or safety rest area in this state, or in the approaches thereto.

    2. Any person who violates any provision of this section or any regulation adopted under this chapter governing roadside parks or safety rest areas shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 for a first offense and not more than $5,000 for each subsequent offense."

    End Quote

    I am glad to hear nobody cares. I have chased threads all over without a real life answer to that question.

    All answers are greatly appreciated.

    A tip from Montana if you are pointed this way. We are a Open Carry state with hardly anybody caring either. However, an IWB holster, even with the gun NOT covered, IS considered CCW. They define open carry up here as NO part of wearing apparel covering any part of the gun. They do not define it as a normal person recognizing it is a gun. On the good side, Purses, Backpacks, Briefcases & in Galco's case, a Day-timer is NOT considered concealed. It has to be covered by normal wearing apparel. We also recognize Nevada's CCW permits.

    Thanks again to all.

    Have a great weekend.

    John
    Billings, MT

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSCShooter View Post
    ...I do believe they have changed the fine to "up to $1000.00"...
    Thanks for that, and confirming that we are discussing the same law. I will update my records, though, again, we don't have to worry about this anyway.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    It seems that rest area issue is directed at people trying to set up shop and not a legal carrier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •