Thread: Bo Morrison's Ma sues Slinger castle doctrine/self-defense shooter from March 2012

Bo Morrison's Ma sues Slinger castle doctrine/self-defense shooter from March 2012

Washington County District Attorney Mark Bensen declined to charge the homeowner, Adam Kind, with a crime in the March 2012 incident, finding Kind acted in self-defense. The incident prompted numerous protests about "the castle doctrine," adopted by legislators the previous year, but Bensen said Kind would have been cleared even without the law's extra presumptions in favor of residents using deadly force in their homes against intruder.

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed in Milwaukee County Circuit Court, also includes claims of battery, negligence, pain and suffering, and loss of companionship. The suit is on behalf of Lauri Morrison, both individually and as the administrator of her son's estate. She is represented by Milwaukee law firm Gimbel, Reilly, Guerin & Brown.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/...288584201.html

With internal links to MJS archives.

OCDO archives
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/se...archid=2559655
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-14-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Word of addddvice:

Don't want a bunch of holes on your body that were not put in there by God? Then don't come in my house unwelcome.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    ... don't come in my house unwelcome.
    Do not come on to my curtilage or into my house uninvited.

WOW! But this ain't as bad as one English homeowner who shot two intruders with his now illegal gun. Killed one and wounded the other. He calls cops. They come and arrest him! He gets life in jail for the killing and possessing a gun. The other bozo burglar is now suing him!!!

Here's the DA's report on the incident, explaining the situation in great detail and explaining why the homeowner / victim was not charged with any crime.

http://media.jsonline.com/documents/slingerreport.pdf

Somewhere in the media, someone used the term "porch" to describe where the confrontation took place, and of course all the criminal's supporters latched onto that to say that the homeowner left his house to murder their homey.

It was a 3-season room, with heat & power, completely enclosed.
    There were 2 doors to the outside (screen & solid). The solid door locked.
    The door between the 3-season room & the rest of the house did not lock, as they didn't have a key for it.
    The homeowner went downstairs to investigate loud noises which he thought perhaps someone was climing on the 3-season room's porch to break in upstairs. In reality, it was probably the criminal breaking open the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Wisconsin Criminal Jury Instruction 140

Wisconsin Criminal Jury Instruction 140
    Wisconsin's Criminal Jury Instruction 140 describes the presumption of innocence and "reasonable doubt". In relevant part this Jury Instruction indicates:
    States Burden of Proof
    The burden of establishing every fact necessary to constitute guilt is upon the state. Before you can return a verdict of guilty, the evidence must satisfy you beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.
    Reasonable Hypothesis
    If you can reconcile the evidence upon any reasonable hypothesis consistent with the defendant's innocence, you should return a verdict of not guilty.
    Meaning of Reasonable Doubt
    The term "reasonable doubt" means a doubt based upon reason and common sense. It is a doubt for which a reason can be given, arising from a fair and rational consideration of the evidence or lack of evidence. It means such a doubt as would cause a person of ordinary prudence to pause or hesitate when called upon to act in the most important affairs of life.
    A reasonable doubt is not a doubt based upon mere guesswork or speculation. A doubt which arises merely from sympathy or from a fear to return a verdict of guilty is not a reasonable doubt. A reasonable doubt is not a doubt as may be used to escape the responsibility of a decision.
    while it is your duty to give the defendant the benefit of every reasonable doubt, you are not to search for doubt. You are to search for the truth.
    Wisconsin's jury instructions being copyright and closely held, we are not often given a glimpse into them. Here is one.