Thread: BMW sounds alarm over tech companies seeking connected car data. FT.com

BMW sounds alarm over tech companies seeking connected car data. FT.com

Ford was forced into an embarrassing retraction at last year’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas after Jim Farley, then head of marketing at the US carmaker, said: “We know everyone who breaks the law. We know exactly when you do it because we have a GPS sensor in your car.” He added: “By the way, we don’t supply that data to anyone.”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/685fe610-9...44feabdc0.html

Cherish your dumb car. Always be smarter than the machinery that you are operating.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Apparently you have to register to be able to read the article. I personally have no desire to give them my email address and register with them. Is there another site out there that might have an article on this that doesn't require you to register to read it?

Hmm, sorry. I think it's a cookie thing, or maybe CSS.

Do a google search for 'ft.com bmw data' and you can see article w/o registering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    ...“We know everyone who breaks the law. We know exactly when you do it because we have a GPS sensor in your car.” He added: “By the way, we don’t supply that data to anyone.”...
    Can it be FOIA'ed if the vehicle was bought with public money?

Can it be subpoenaed by a court? Its sheer existence tells me it could.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    I do not like this. Of course, most of us are already carrying cell phones that could provide some of the same data a car would and more. I really hope this trend of privacy insecurity can be reversed.
    Advocate freedom please

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Now that is a brilliant idea. I bet it would only take a couple of well placed government officials being embarrassed, or even facing the real threat they would be embarrassed if they drove where or how they ought not, to see some real pressure brought to bear on auto manufacturers to shut this down.

Charles

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I do not like this. Of course, most of us are already carrying cell phones that could provide some of the same data a car would and more. I really hope this trend of privacy insecurity can be reversed.

Another feature the state mandated for our safety.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

Can it be subpoenaed by a court? Its sheer existence tells me it could.
    If its an agency car that produces a record, that record could certainly be obtained via a FOI request. Don't be surprised at the price to get that information though.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    The ability to do this on a selective basis has existed for some time now, too, let's not forget. GPS trackers small enough to be covertly installed in vehicles have existed and been in use for years. I watched a video not too long ago of a technology speech in which a story was told of a young lady being stalked by an ex, and the ex had installed a GPS tracker in her car. I've also been told stories of local law enforcement covertly installing GPS trackers on suspect vehicles.

This technology being built into the vehicle from the factory just makes it much easier, with much less footwork. Sort of opens the door to making this sort of tracking part of the "mass" surveillance scheme.
    Advocate freedom please

Smart-phones are quite adequate. Would it be less surreptitious to merely mandate they be installed with your social security account number? Cherish your dumb car.