• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confrontation Between Pro-Gun Activists and Texas Democrat

papa bear

Texas is part of the Old South and has some Jim Crow era gun laws to shed. That the stereotype doesn't quite match up to reality simply demonstrates that some stereotypes a

Charles

Just a correction. the banning of rights in TX, are not Jim Crowe laws. But carpet bagger laws

Law abider

While far from perfect, I think the Robert's court is doing better than some predecessors in looking to black letter constitutional language and original intent. On Obamacare, I certainly wish he'd looked beyond 16th amendment unlimited power to tax to explore limits on spending the money that is collected and found the feds have no constitutional authority to run a healthcare financial plan for the general populace. But that isn't really related to guns.

Eternal vigilance and work. Every election matters, every appointment to the bench is important. Winning the hearts and minds of our neighbors cannot be ignored.

Charles

True. I am sure you know that I was referring to Scalia. He too may not be perfect but he does look into the supposedly murky past.

Law abider

Just a correction. the banning of rights in TX, are not Jim Crowe laws. But carpet bagger laws

You mean that the lawmakers themselves are carpet baggers? humbug! All the Texans need to do is to holster and carry all at once everywhere and put their lawmakers on notice that 2a is their permit slip. You'll have thousands upon thousands out in force and what can they do??

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You mean that the lawmakers themselves are carpet baggers?

Of course, what I'm about to ponder doesn't in any way lessen the South's guilt for perpetrating the enslavement of countless blacks. And, of course outright slavery is an undeniably greater crime than Jim Crow laws.

That being made clear, it wasn't like Southern reconstruction was a purely locally-lead affair. Northerners (and carpetbaggers in particular) played ample part, a large part of which was inflaming the long-smoldering coals of mutual racial antipathy through a surreal and absurd combination of policies which can, in retrospect, only be viewed as intended to have precisely this effect. In the process they decimated the South's economy, leaving it easy pickings for wealthy carpetbagging war profiteers. Of course, this also had the incidental (but wholly predictable) effect of impoverishing nearly all blacks -- and most un-propertied whites -- which created an equally-incidental-but-wholly-predictable surge in lawlessness, which is what ultimately inspired the elites to legislatively disarm their political "inferiors".

Indeed, in antebellum years the North was described by more than one contemporary as sometimes (rather incongruously) displaying more prevalent and virulent racism than the South, despite the latter's greater (and indefensible) preference for slavery. But then, the South of the reconstruction becomes notoriously hostile to the newly freed blacks, with institutional and cultural racism towards blacks being the absolute norm.

To me, there sure seems to be plenty of blame to spread around. So I'm not at all sure that the difference between "carpetbagger" and "Jim Crow legislator" is especially significant; it seems that "elites" of every ilk have been all too frequently happy to use government to benefit themselves at the expense of the (explicitly or effectively) disenfranchised.

And that's what these laws do, of course. Political and social elites don't need explicit firearm and self-defense rights to provide for their security, because they can use some combination of political and economic influence to buy themselves everything from criminal immunity to round-the-clock bodyguards. It's the rest of us -- the middle and lower classes -- who get the shaft, so to speak.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned

That would make perfect sense. The north was (is) no less racist than was the South, perhaps more so in certain ways.

And it was carpet baggers running things until Texas was re-admitted to the union in 1870. Of course, under Jim Crow, many a law was enforced rather selectively. Today, across the nation, some laws continue to be enforced selectively. Now it is more likely to be socio-economic discrimination rather than overt racial discrimination.

Charles

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
That would make perfect sense. The north was (is) no less racist than was the South, perhaps more so in certain ways.

And it was carpet baggers running things until Texas was re-admitted to the union in 1870. Of course, under Jim Crow, many a law was enforced rather selectively. Today, across the nation, some laws continue to be enforced selectively. Now it is more likely to be socio-economic discrimination rather than overt racial discrimination.

Charles

Hey, you're not allowed to say the same thing as me in fewer words!

:p

papa bear

Charles

Believe me, we have our own Jim Crowe law here i NC. As in the POS PPP law.

they started off as breedist laws but i guess the government considers everybody as "human trash" now

HPmatt

Texas is part of the Old South and has some Jim Crow era gun laws to shed. That the stereotype doesn't quite match up to reality simply demonstrates that some stereotypes are flawed.

Texas really is part of the Southwest, not the Old South. Was lightly inhabited part of Mexico, then an Anglo country - settlement nothing along the lines of the original East Coast colonies being Englishmen first before rupture w mother country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Don't forget: The "Reconstruction" of Texas re: gun laws was also to disarm white ex-Confederate soldiers haging out down there, including any who might be feeling a tad disgruntled ("sore losers") and such, and who MIGHT be a problem due to being disgruntled, as they might engage in government offices, workplace, mall or school shootings. ;-)

As for geographics -- and how a place "feels" to live in (its vibes) -- far West Texas more so connected to the Southwest, akin to New Mexico.

Central & East Texas is more the "real" Texas, if you will (and I agree the "Old South" is further East of TX). ;-)

The bayous & beaches in the Houston/Beaumont areas are somewhat reminiscent of neighboring Louisiana. At least they both have hurricanes in common. But IIRC, LA has more gun-carrying freedom than TX...in fact, ALL the states around TX do (as we all here know).

...one reason we look forward to TX (finally) getting OC in 2015 -- and hopefully UNpermitted OC.

I WOULD prefer to visit TX and be OCing instead of CCing...

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
How does government get away with doing away with the supreme law of the land: This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof...which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding. Article 6. What happened to that?

Who says that they "get away with it?"

Their laws have not effected me....

Law abider

depends on your perspective.

some would argue that it is nothing but rank tyranny: Might makes right.

Others might take a more charitable view and recognize that the first scotus ruling to ever deal directly with rkba (with both sides properly represented) was heller, in 2007. Heller was then incorporated against the states by mcdonald a year or two later.

The courts are still (and probably always will be) teasing out the limits of the 1st amendment, 4th and 5th amendments, etc.

Iow, even those of us who subscribe to a strict constructionist and/or original intent meaning of the constitution, have to concede that we've spent all of our nation's history working out exactly what the limits of government power and individual liberty are under various cases.

On rkba, at least, we seem to be headed the right direction.

Charles

no compromise!! Besides where are the county sheriffs in the oaths? They should be defying the state law.

Last edited:

Law abider

Who says that they "get away with it?"

Their laws have not effected me....

Then why do we have to have permits? Why do they not allow OC in NY or TX? Why is it the police of the Capitol police in Madison that you CC inside. There is no law. It depends where you are. The states have a long way to go in applying the madison doctrine of spheres of influence and barriers against the feds or the counties against the states. The list goes on and on ad infinitum.

utbagpiper

Banned
Texas really is part of the Southwest, not the Old South. Was lightly inhabited part of Mexico, then an Anglo country - settlement nothing along the lines of the original East Coast colonies being Englishmen first before rupture w mother country.

You and Cloudcroft are correct. I'm afraid my effort to delicate lead to a bit a mis-statement. I should have just straight up said that Texas was part of the Confederate States and thus had a number of Jim Crow laws.

Charles

HPmatt

Our daughter found this out when she went to college - outside of Texas - in Virginia [emoji15]. Girls from TN, VA and MS set her straight....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk