• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which type of carrier are you and why?

Which type of carrier are you?

• Total voters

Primus

I didn't like that option as I said originally. I assumed that if someone needed protecting, there would be a threat.

Anyone who has not been in a gun fight is a liar, if they claim they will shoot at another human being imo. Until one is in that situation, one does not know for sure what they would do. Keyboard commandos included.

Strange interpretation of my original post, but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles around here.
Best post by far on the topic.

twoskinsonemanns

Anyone who has not been in a gun fight is a liar, if they claim they will shoot at another human being imo.

What a load of regurgitated hogwash. I have trained and trained and have been in one situation where I had the finger on the trigger. I have never shot a human being but I guarantee I would without hesitation. Your dribble is nothing but psychobabble you saw on the Dr Phil show.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

What a load of regurgitated hogwash. I have trained and trained and have been in one situation where I had the finger on the trigger. I have never shot a human being but I guarantee I would without hesitation. Your dribble is nothing but psychobabble you saw on the Dr Phil show.
LAC have proved over and over again that his statement just is not true.

sudden valley gunner

LAC have proved over and over again that his statement just is not true.

Like the recent pizza delivery person who protected herself from an armed assailant.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
I'm not a "sheepdog" or a cop, so I have no inclination to protect anyone else. Especially those people (meaning adults) who COULD carry but refuse to do to their anti-gun opinions. So IMO, they should be free to experience the consequences of their opinions (reap what they sow) and I won't offend them by intervening in their "situation," as my gun would probably offend them.

Remember, nowadays in New America "not being offended" is a de-facto Constitutional right. Let us all observe and respect that. Amen. ;-)

Heck, even the cops aren't held legally liable if they -- for whatever reason -- fail to protect an individual, as they are deemed to be only a "general public deterrent." So why should anyone expect armed citizens to be held to a higher standard?

It's like back when I was living in hurricane country and had plenty of emergency supplies (besides a gun or 2 to protect/keep same): I was inclined to help those who helped themselves (meaning other people who ALSO were prepared with supplies and guns) but NOT those who weren't. As adults -- and supposedly rational decision-makers, just like the rest of us -- the people who were NOT prepared COULD have stocked up but they CHOSE not to. Some of these losers are ALWAYS seen on TV news channels clearing out stores of simple basics like WATER right before a hurricane hits. They COULD have done so way earlier. I have no concern or respect for such people. The Ant and the Grasshopper situation, if you will.

As an adult, I and some others (who also carry, OC or CC) have decided to be responsible for our OWN protection/safety, not rely upon someone else for same. How can those who won't even protect themselves expect those of us who DO to put ourselves in harm's way for THEIR benefit?

How irrational is THAT kind of thinking?

[a rhetorical question as we already know the correct answer]

Last edited:

SovereigntyOrDeath

You said that you would choose the option to "protect my family first then if possible take out a threat."

Option number one states that "I would protect my family, no one else."

The premise of the poll is to ascertain whether or not you were interested in protecting strangers. There's really nothing much more to it. The poll question also assumes that there is a self-defense situation, which would obviously mean there is a threat. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that "you didn't like the choices," when one of the choices seems to be exactly what you would do, it just doesn't explicitly state "take out the threat" after you "protect your family."

1) What would one do to a threat if it threatened one's family, and furthermore, 2) what would it be called in regards to your family once you "did whatever you did?"

Answers:

1) "Stop" 2) "Protect"

See: above.

It's a bit of a slippery slope for me to genuinely respond to this online. I don't want this thread to turn into chest thumping and whatnot.

I think I interpreted your post exactly how you intended. I am trying to figure out the disconnect between how you feel and the poll answers. I feel as if I made Option 1 specifically for people such as yourself.

Option 1. I protect myself and my family, no one else.

Didn't agree with this option because I am not sure if I would not protect anyone else, especially if I could without endangering my family.

Option 2. I feel it's my duty to protect my fellow man from evil, no matter what.

Agree to an extent, just not 100% sure I would pull the trigger since I have never been in a fire fight.

Option 3. Not sure. It's subjective.

Don't agree. I am sure I would protect my family first, Not sure about the rest being 100% honest with myself.

I hope that clears thing up on why I did not vote for any of the above.

SovereigntyOrDeath

The sad fact is at least half of the people out there don't want me to be able to carry (arguable, numbers vary, no cite).
If I'm in a situation in public where there is a crime taking place I would probably not get involved if I could hide or something. At least that is the plan. If I saw someone actually start executing people I'm not sure I could standby and let it happen. One thing I do know. When I'm out in public I'm surrounded on all sides by people that want to take my rights away and would probably condemn me as a "gun nut". I feel no obligation to protect them.

You sound a bit conflicted. Maybe you should watch that Dr Phil show on psycho babble again.

Thanks for the insult and attack though.

Maybe a Grapeshot across the bow is called for here.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
The situation itself is conflicting, putting carriers in a difficult position: Do I get involved or not.

Would MOST (if not all of us) come to the aid of people under some sort of criminal/terror attack, especially since WE (and probably only we as no police would be on the scene, as usual) have the tool that allows us to do so (UNarmed intervention would likely be suicide). And also because we don't know which side of the line the "victims by choice" views are on the RKBA -- pro-gun or anti-gun.

Sure we would. But then I hope we'd ask questions later, like "Why weren't YOU people armed, too?" And point out to the news media -- in no uncertain terms -- what would have happened had we NOT been armed and therefore could NOT intervene. And how useless and infringing most/all of the anti-gun laws are. Make use of our "15 minutes of fame" if you will.

But aside from a "moral obligation" to assist someone (if morality is of any interest in America nowadays -- it isn't for most), what LAW(s) are there requiring one to assist, especially if one risks dying him/herself in trying to help? Yes, there are laws re: "Failure to stop and render aid" but in those circumstances -- like after an auto accident for example -- the "aid-renderer" is not undergoing a criminal or terror attack and so is not personally in any danger.

So what law says we MUST be a hero...and put ourselves in lethal danger?

None...there is only that "pesky" moral obligation stuff which, I guess, ONLY applies to moral people.

Maybe just like our US Constitution, which "was made only for a moral and religious people" (so said John Adams).

[just for thought...I'm not arguing with you]

Last edited:

XD40sc

Until you have a huge surge of adrenalin coursing through your system because you fight or flight instinct has kicked in, you don't know. You can't train for that, you can only develop muscle memory to hopefully get you through it.

And your finger never goes onto the trigger until you target is in your sights and you are totally committed to shooting.

The Truth

Option 1. I protect myself and my family, no one else.

Didn't agree with this option because I am not sure if I would not protect anyone else, especially if I could without endangering my family.

Option 2. I feel it's my duty to protect my fellow man from evil, no matter what.

Agree to an extent, just not 100% sure I would pull the trigger since I have never been in a fire fight.

Option 3. Not sure. It's subjective.

Don't agree. I am sure I would protect my family first, Not sure about the rest being 100% honest with myself.

I hope that clears thing up on why I did not vote for any of the above.

So you should have voted option #3 :)

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
XD,

Try as I might, I just can't get used to keeping my finger OFF the trigger!

Back in the Old Days (45 years ago for me) we OFTEN had our fingers on the triggers, yet I do not recall ANY instances of an ND (Negligent Discharge) happening. Really.

To this day I do the same, but then again (and probably unlike most/all the other carriers here) I do not have a round in the chamber of my carry gun (CC or OC, EXCEPT for my little DA/SA semi-auto), nor do I ever have the hammer cocked (even if carrying my 1911) -- an empty chamber is ALSO from the Old Days -- so again, there's no way to have an ND.

When a round IS in the chamber though, my finger IS at least within the trigger-guard. On one of my guns, the afore-mentioned small DA/SA semi-auto, the first-shot trigger-pull is so heavy that IT acts as a safety (like a DA revolver), and it DOES have a round in the chamber. In my larger semi-autos (SA only), the guns have empty chambers and aren't cocked until just before firing (in both cases, however, the safety IS on, but it's on for a different reason). Still, my finger IS in the trigger guard/on the trigger.

Back in the Old Days, I (we) found gun safety to be highly over-rated...which is the main reason I won't go to gun ranges.

I just can't do the modern wisdom "keep your finger off the trigger" thing. Sorry...

But then again I'm an old dinosaur and don't know any better.

Consequently, please disregard everything I just wrote... ;-)

Last edited:

The Truth

XD,

Try as I might, I just can't get used to keeping my finger OFF the trigger!

Back in the Old Days (45 years ago for me) we OFTEN had our fingers on the triggers, yet I do not recall ANY instances of an ND (Negligent Discharge) happening. Really.

To this day I do the same, but then again (and probably unlike most/all the other carriers here) I do not have a round in the chamber of my carry gun (CC or OC), nor do I ever have the hammer cocked (even if carrying my 1911) -- that ALSO is from the Old Days -- so again, there's no way to have an ND.

When a round IS in the chamber though, my finger IS at least within the trigger-guard. On one of my guns, a small DA/SA semi-auto, the first-shot trigger-pull is so heavy that IT acts as a safety (like a DA revolver). In my larger semi-autos (SA only), the gun is not cocked until just before firing. In both cases, the safety IS on. Still, my finger IS in the trigger guard/on the trigger.

Back in the Old Days, I (we) found gun safety to be highly over-rated...which is the main reason I won't go to gun ranges.

One could argue that gun safety is for "the idiots." /s

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

I no longer harbour any illusions/misconceptions of being a "sheepdog"; I will not put my neck on the line for anyone other than my loved ones (true family, and true friends) and possibly children (the only innocent human beings among us, IMO). Though it may not be fatal, today's litigation-obsessed American society could cause you and your loved ones significant harm.

I've had a few run-ins with members who disapprove of me leaving someone to fend for themselves, but I'd like to point out that most adults will likely have had the same opportunity I did to arm themselves; if I could go without a few things and spend countless hours pouring over reviews and looking for deals on the gear (sidearms, belts, holsters, magazines, mag pouches, recorders, etc.) to assemble what little I have today (doing this between classes, BTW), I don't see why others COULDN'T if it is something so important as potentially life-saving self-defense tools. If they simply WOULDN'T, then they very well made their choice, didn't they?
As a high school poster in a math class read "Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".
Cloudcroft makes a good analogy in post #26 which illustrates my point perfectly.

Family first, everybody else second (including me). Rule #1 is my wife and kid survive. Rule #2 is I survive. Rule #3 is if I can engage without violating the first two rules, then I may do so.

Something happens, I'm moving my family to an exit (or path of least resistance out of the area), and if any threat prohibits me from moving them out then they're getting dealt with. Not really interested in going back to face danger if I can avoid it, best way to survive a gun fight is to never get into one. I feel little to no duty to protect those who won't take that duty upon themselves.

Love your "3 Laws of Robotics" approach. If I may borrow from your approach to make a parody of the Three Laws describing MY position in regards to being a "sheepdog" (though my sig line already kind of covers it):

1) An OCer may not bring harm upon his/her loved ones or through inaction, allow his/her loved ones to come to harm.
2) An OCer must protect his/her own existence, except where self-preservation would conflict with the First Law.
3) An OCer must remain subject to applicable ordinances enacted by legitimate governing bodies as long as obeying such ordinances does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

:lol:

Last edited:

Primus

You had a cameo in Expendables 3 didn't you? You going to be the lead in Expendables 4? Right up there with Arnold and Sylvester?

I'll give you a guarantee....

The best laid plans go right to s*** after the very first shot.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This whole subject yet once again? What spilled your Wheaties all over the floor this time?

Google Geck045, then find the nearest recruiting office for Mall Team 6.

It's obvious we disagree. All I ask is that you keep your sheepdog mentality penned up when you are around me.

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

I didn't like that option as I said originally. I assumed that if someone needed protecting, there would be a threat.

Anyone who has not been in a gun fight is a liar, if they claim they will shoot at another human being imo. Until one is in that situation, one does not know for sure what they would do. Keyboard commandos included.

Strange interpretation of my original post, but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles around here.

I re-read every post up to this one, didn't see anyone explicitly claiming they'd shoot another human being. Not sure where you get off calling liar liar.

Be sure to note, everyone, that poll option 2 reads "I feel it is my duty" not "I believe it is the duty of those that carry guns" nor "I feel it is my duty because I carry a gun"

The simplicty of the question nearly reaches yes/no status.