Thread: Michigan Gov. Snyder vetoes gun bill with protection order change

Michigan Gov. Snyder vetoes gun bill with protection order change

Gov. Rick Snyder vetoed legislation Thursday that would have let some people subject to personal protection orders obtain a concealed pistol license. In a veto letter to the Republican-led Legislature, Snyder said the bills “may increase the risks faced by victims of domestic abuse.”

The legislation would have abolished county concealed weapon licensing boards and transferred their duties to county clerks or law enforcers - a change the Republican governor supports. But he agreed with gun control and anti-domestic violence advocates who had criticized a provision that would have allowed subjects of protection orders to get a concealed weapon permit unless the order specifically restricted gun use.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...n-order-chang/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...TIAZo4dpMvPgOM
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-15-2015 at 05:05 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Got it .. commie outed himself

Thank You Gov. Snyder.

Thank you for keeping the cost of a CPL down. (No reason the costs can't come down now that finger printing is no longer needed for renewals)
    Thank you for NOT putting CPL's in the hands of anti 2nd amendment county clerks that are the problem now. (The SoS should administer STATE law, not the counties)
    Thank you for keeping my class certificate valid. (My drivers training doesn't expire either.)
    Thank you for not making fines & suspensions mandatory for not IMMEDIATELY informing an officer. (No study has ever shown this stupid requirement keeps anyone safer.)
    Thank you for stopping all the rest of the new restrictions this bill was going to usher in.

I'm sure if you had ever read this law you would have approved it but Thank You for NOT reading it.
    Last edited by Leader; 01-15-2015 at 09:22 PM.

i would like to know why an Indiana cpl is $45 for a life time and we have to pay $105 every 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by khicks View Post
    i would like to know why an Indiana cpl is $45 for a life time and we have to pay $105 every 5 years
    My guess - Indiana doesn't treat their permit as a $ cow, MI does. AZ $60 for 5 years and handled by DPS (AZ state police). IMHO they do a good job.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Thank You Gov. Snyder.

Thank you for keeping the cost of a CPL down. (No reason the costs can't come down now that finger printing is no longer needed for renewals)
    Thank you for NOT putting CPL's in the hands of anti 2nd amendment county clerks that are the problem now. (The SoS should administer STATE law, not the counties)
    Thank you for keeping my class certificate valid. (My drivers training doesn't expire either.)
    Thank you for not making fines & suspensions mandatory for not IMMEDIATELY informing an officer. (No study has ever shown this stupid requirement keeps anyone safer.)
    Thank you for stopping all the rest of the new restrictions this bill was going to usher in.

I'm sure if you had ever read this law you would have approved it but Thank You for NOT reading it.
    Well one thing you can always say about slick Ricky, he is consistent. Consistently against the "little people" being able to protect themselves easier, that is.

Hope his Bloomberg money gives him paper cuts!
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-17-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well one thing you can always say about slick Ricky, he is consistent. Consistently against the "little people" being able to protect themselves easier, that is.

I am as pro 789 as the next guy and not pro RINO Rick at all. I do have questions however. Why did 789 say ANYTHING about PPO's ( the alleged reason for the veto). A conspiracy type might think it was written in such a way to cause the veto. The Senators KNOW the type of man in the Governors office, why leave Rick an easy way out? Now the Senators cans say "we passed pro gun legislation" and blame a term limited Governor for a veto.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I am as pro 789 as the next guy and not pro RINO Rick at all. I do have questions however. Why did 789 say ANYTHING about PPO's ( the alleged reason for the veto). A conspiracy type might think it was written in such a way to cause the veto. The Senators KNOW the type of man in the Governors office, why leave Rick an easy way out? Now the Senators cans say "we passed pro gun legislation" and blame a term limited Governor for a veto.
    You maybe onto something here Sit! It wouldn't be the first time the fine folks in Lansing played games at the expense of their innocent law-abiding base, now would it?
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-19-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Maybe if we go along with OC being prohibited in CC PFZs, this bill could get signed. You know, surrender some of our rights to get the Gov to sign something pro-gun.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

/sarcasm
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Maybe if we go along with OC being prohibited in CC PFZs, this bill could get signed. You know, surrender some of our rights to get the Gov to sign something pro-gun.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

/sarcasm
    Your sarcasm is well placed Dan.

Sad that it is needed to illustrate where the Gov & Legislature seem to stand on this issue.

The good people of MI deserve better, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post

And just how would this bill raising costs & limiting eligibility further have helped the "little people" that can least afford it?

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    And just how would this bill raising costs & limiting eligibility further have helped the "little people" that can least afford it?
    Here we go - I was speaking in general terms. He has been very unsupportive of any bills that would remotely change things to benefit the law-abiding publics ability to defend themselves effectively. Often given a convenient out by the legislature IMHO. See it as you will, not here to argue, simply read his history and that of the legislature in general. Ask yourself this: with a republican house and senate for many years now how is it that very little pro 2A comes out of Lansing? In my mind it boils down to the same crap, just different flies! Nothing will change until the people of MI force it to. Until then, more of the same old same old. YMMV.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-20-2015 at 05:58 PM.