Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great News: Georgia pizza-delivery driver shoots robber and does NOT get fired.

Campaign Veteran

Great News: Georgia pizza-delivery driver shoots robber and does NOT get fired.

Besides convenience store clerks, pizza-delivery is also one of the most dangerous jobs. Although I don't think women delivery-drivers being sent out alone is a great idea (especially at night, since most street-trash sleeps all day after a hard night of crime), in THIS case she had a gun ON her and used it. The only bad news is the trash she shot (in his ugly face) lived and his trash-buddy drove off in her car (so she is on foot now) and still remains at large.

But the point is THIS time, a pizza business -- Papa John's -- does NOT fire the driver, even though she violated Corporate Policy by carrying a gun.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15...-self-defense/

Pizza Hut, Dominos and others should also be as understanding -- and compassionate.

Kudos to Papa John's.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-15-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Chief of Employee Security!

"She instead will be reassigned to another role, according to the company.

"The safety of Papa John's employees is a top priority for our company, " the company said in an email to FoxNews.com. "
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Campaign Veteran
    Moderator:

Oops...

I put this topic in the Georgia area, but since it's not about OCing in GA, you may want to move it to the general True Tales of Self-Defense area instead...as I saw other such posts like this there.

Sorry...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-15-2015 at 06:29 PM.

State Researcher
    I'm sorry anyone had to go through this. I hope the delivery woman recovers fully (emotionally, financially, etc).

I'm very glad she was able to defend her life and limb and am pleased her employer seems to be doing the right thing in this case. Would that we could convince employers to drop their gun bans entirely.

Charles

Banned
    We plan no changes to our current policy,

Commie company !!! What, an employee has to die before the policy is changed?

Glad she was not physically harmed ! Maybe she make a quick emotional recovery and carry on !!!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

A Pizza place who will not fire an employee for using a firearm in self defense.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15...-self-defense/ FUQ- Papa John's Pizza is standing by a pizza delivery woman who opened fire Sunday on an armed robber in an act of self defense.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John's
    ..."Company policy prohibits employees from utilizing firearms in the performance of their duties.We plan no changes to our current policy, which is designed to protect customers and employees," the statement read. "Upon investigation and considering the specific facts of the situation, we have reassigned the employee to work in the store and are offering her counseling to help her recuperate from the incident."...
    They are still anti-gun, but don't YET want the bad press of firing her, and are committed to actively trying to keep their employees defenseless.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John's
    ..."Company policy prohibits employees from utilizing firearms in the performance of their duties.We plan no changes to our current policy, which is designed to protect customers and employees," the statement read. "Upon investigation and considering the specific facts of the situation, we have reassigned the employee to work in the store and are offering her counseling to help her recuperate from the incident."...
    They are still anti-gun, but don't YET want the bad press of firing her, and are committed to actively trying to keep their employees defenseless.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Campaign Veteran
    Maybe, maybe not.

At least it's more than Pizza Hut and Domino's have done for THEIR "shooters" -- they were fired, period.

So maybe what Papa John's is implying is "Don't ask/Don't tell" -- and maybe some ex-delivery drivers from the competition will be putting in applications at Papa John's shortly.

And dusting-off their carry guns (CC of course). ;-)
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-15-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That's the one I'd go for.
    "Guys, guys. If we fire her we're going to get a thousand letters, ten thousand emails, a million tweets, all condemning our actions. If we just do nothing, we don't lose anything. What's the smart play here?"

Campaign Veteran
    Pizza Hut and Dominos would disagree...they had the same choice.

[EDITED to add: And apparently, didn't care about Public Opinion...and firing their gun-carrying drivers probably has NOT hurt their sales, either, as the general public doesn't seem to care about the drivers getting fired.]

So on one hand, people praise Papa John's for not firing the lady, yet on the other hand, people criticize them for not changing their official no-guns policy.

How is a business supposed to win?

Goes to show you can't please everyone, so just please yourself. Meaning, doing what you think is right and pay no attention to "public opinion," fickle as it is anyway.

Besides, Public Opinion is worth about as much as one pays for it -- absolutely nothing. Exactly the same for World Opinion.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-16-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Papa Johns Pizza

Papa Johns pizza in Decatur, Ga. has backed up their delivery driver after she defended herself with a concealed handgun. Said she will not be fired.

Go to this site for the story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15...-self-defense/

I do not know if the no gun policy is corporate or if the franchise holder can set his own rules.

Although Papa Johns still will have a no guns for employees policy they are still backing this persons right to defend her self. At least this franchise holder is.
    Not a perfect decision by the Co. (franchise holder) but never the less the next time I order pizza it will be from Papa Johns and I will tell them why and ask them to change the policy to follow state law.
    Perhaps if enough people do this they will change policy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    +1 ... what, they need an employee to be killed?

Not a believer in the theory that one can learn from the experience of others, hmm?

Campaign Veteran
    Sure I do...but we're talking about businesses/corporations here, not individuals...and there's not a whole lot of that "learning from others" -- let alone learning from workplace shootings -- going on out there in the business world.

Nothing changes: They won't hire armed security to protect staff/customers, yet at the same time won't let staff/customers protect themselves.

And that's perfectly legal, even when people get maimed/killed because of it...

Tell me how that makes ANY sense. [a rhetorical question]
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-16-2015 at 01:59 AM.

"Company policy prohibits employees from utilizing firearms in the performance of their duties..."
    Well, technically self-defense isn't one of her duties as a delivery driver.

And I should hope they prohibit their employees from utilizing their firearms to get their customers to come to the door or to solicit bigger tips!

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I'm glad she will not be fired. IMHO the reason she is not being unjustly fired is probably her sex. There is definitely support to be found for anyone treated unjustly after a self defense situation. But there is some very heavy, main stream support out there to be found for a woman in the same situation. Just wild speculation but I imagine if it woulda been a male he woulda been fired as we have seen from multiple other companies in the same situation. These people are probably afraid of some crazy on screen ranting from that troll Nancy Grace. lol and rightly so.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

so how does mandating no self-defense protect their employees again???

Quote Originally Posted by hafnhaf View Post
    so how does mandating no self-defense protect their employees again???
    duh. It has been well established that people who carry guns are eleventy billion times more likely to have that gun taken by a criminal and shot with it than use it to defend themselves.

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

I think companies don't openly promote carry of firearms for simple liability reasons. They didn't fire her which is more than any other company has done in similar situations so good for them.

Campaign Veteran
    As a side note, up here in the Denver area the Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning owns 21 Papa John's stores.

It would be interesting to know HIS views on this incident, and what HE would do with one of his employees in the same situation: A robbery/car-jacking attempt (or worse, if the driver is female).

Colorado is an (unpermitted) OC state, and shall-issue CC (via the Sheriff Department of each county). You can OC in the entire state -- EXCEPT Denver/Denver County. But people in Denver can still CC. No way of knowing if any of Manning's drivers DO CC, but as mentioned earlier, it's a dangerous job (in some "disadvantaged" crime-ridden cities in America even MORE dangerous) so I suspect SOME of his drivers ARE CCing.

Of course, even if any of Manning's stores are OUTSIDE of Denver -- where OC is perfectly legal -- I'm sure he wouldn't let his drivers OC as it'd be too "flamboyant" -- if I may use that word. Even if Papa John's Corporate would allow it.

But if he had a store in Rifle, CO -- say right next door to the Shooters Grill -- then maybe he would! ;-)

After all, "hope & change" in the business world has to start somewhere...

Kopis,

I agree. Liability (and lawyers) taken to such an outrageous extreme -- the bane of the Modern World.

How did America ever get along without that for most of this country's existence...and yet was none the worse for its absence.

Probably because Common Sense and Personal Responsibility were a given back then. Not so today. :-(
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-16-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
    As a side note, up here in the Denver area the Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning owns 21 Papa John's stores.
    I honestly did not know that, and I'm a native of the state.

It would be interesting to know HIS views on this incident, and what HE would do with one of his employees in the same situation: A robbery/car-jacking attempt (or worse, if the driver is female).
    Agreed. I can't find much in a cursory search as to his viewpoints on the matter. Though, given the crappy PR some of the NFL has gotten lately, I wouldn't be surprised if he was required to mention the topic in public.

But if he had a store in Rifle, CO -- say right next door to the Shooters Grill -- then maybe he would! ;-)
    I've been there, actually. Definitely no place right next door - it's an attached building along the entire street. Still an awesome place inside the restaurant, and the food's pretty damn good, too. Interestingly enough, I was the only non-employee openly carrying. I'm sure a few others were concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I'm glad she will not be fired. IMHO the reason she is not being unjustly fired is probably her sex. There is definitely support to be found for anyone treated unjustly after a self defense situation. But there is some very heavy, main stream support out there to be found for a woman in the same situation. Just wild speculation but I imagine if it woulda been a male he woulda been fired as we have seen from multiple other companies in the same situation. These people are probably afraid of some crazy on screen ranting from that troll Nancy Grace. lol and rightly so.
    Well, the naturally less-physically-strong should especially arm themselves for self-defense.

Statistically speaking, women certainly fall into that category relative men.

Let's be optimistic and call it a start.
    Last edited by marshaul; 01-16-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Well, the naturally less-physically-strong should especially arm themselves for self-defense.

Statistically speaking, women certainly fall into that category relative men.

Let's be optimistic and call it a start.
    Not with ya on that. Chicks want to be treated the same as dudes and I agree. I cannot support any discrimination in anyway. Same everything.

ETA: after rereading your post you didn't actually say what I really thought you were going to say because you were responding to what I said.
    Your response was actually generic and factual so my response was inapplicable. A reminder to think carefully anytime my thoughts are counter to those in a post of yours lol
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 01-16-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast