• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great News: Georgia pizza-delivery driver shoots robber and does NOT get fired.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
As a side note, up here in the Denver area the Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning owns 21 Papa John's stores.

It would be interesting to know HIS views on this incident, and what HE would do with one of his employees in the same situation: A robbery/car-jacking attempt (or worse, if the driver is female).

Colorado is an (unpermitted) OC state, and shall-issue CC (via the Sheriff Department of each county). You can OC in the entire state -- EXCEPT Denver/Denver County. But people in Denver can still CC. No way of knowing if any of Manning's drivers DO CC, but as mentioned earlier, it's a dangerous job (in some "disadvantaged" crime-ridden cities in America even MORE dangerous) so I suspect SOME of his drivers ARE CCing.

Of course, even if any of Manning's stores are OUTSIDE of Denver -- where OC is perfectly legal -- I'm sure he wouldn't let his drivers OC as it'd be too "flamboyant" -- if I may use that word. Even if Papa John's Corporate would allow it.

But if he had a store in Rifle, CO -- say right next door to the Shooters Grill -- then maybe he would! ;-)

After all, "hope & change" in the business world has to start somewhere...

Kopis,

I agree. Liability (and lawyers) taken to such an outrageous extreme -- the bane of the Modern World.

How did America ever get along without that for most of this country's existence...and yet was none the worse for its absence.

Probably because Common Sense and Personal Responsibility were a given back then. Not so today. :-(

Last edited:

jackrockblc

As a side note, up here in the Denver area the Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning owns 21 Papa John's stores.

I honestly did not know that, and I'm a native of the state.

It would be interesting to know HIS views on this incident, and what HE would do with one of his employees in the same situation: A robbery/car-jacking attempt (or worse, if the driver is female).

Agreed. I can't find much in a cursory search as to his viewpoints on the matter. Though, given the crappy PR some of the NFL has gotten lately, I wouldn't be surprised if he was required to mention the topic in public.

But if he had a store in Rifle, CO -- say right next door to the Shooters Grill -- then maybe he would! ;-)

I've been there, actually. Definitely no place right next door - it's an attached building along the entire street. Still an awesome place inside the restaurant, and the food's pretty damn good, too. Interestingly enough, I was the only non-employee openly carrying. I'm sure a few others were concealed.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I'm glad she will not be fired. IMHO the reason she is not being unjustly fired is probably her sex. There is definitely support to be found for anyone treated unjustly after a self defense situation. But there is some very heavy, main stream support out there to be found for a woman in the same situation. Just wild speculation but I imagine if it woulda been a male he woulda been fired as we have seen from multiple other companies in the same situation. These people are probably afraid of some crazy on screen ranting from that troll Nancy Grace. lol and rightly so.

Well, the naturally less-physically-strong should especially arm themselves for self-defense.

Statistically speaking, women certainly fall into that category relative men.

Let's be optimistic and call it a start. :)

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Well, the naturally less-physically-strong should especially arm themselves for self-defense.

Not with ya on that. Chicks want to be treated the same as dudes and I agree. I cannot support any discrimination in anyway. Same everything.

ETA: after rereading your post you didn't actually say what I really thought you were going to say because you were responding to what I said.
Your response was actually generic and factual so my response was inapplicable. A reminder to think carefully anytime my thoughts are counter to those in a post of yours lol

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
jackrockblc,

Some links for you -- stories on Manning's Papa John's franchise:

"Peyton Manning rolling in the dough with Papa John's profits"
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24333720/peyton-manning-rolling-dough-papa-johns-profits

"Peyton Manning credits legal Colorado pot with booming Papa John's pizza business"
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ng-papa-john-pizza-business-article-1.1944951

"Peyton Manning-Owned Papa John's Robbed In Denver During Broncos-Chiefs Game"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/peyton-manning-owned-papa_n_4296626.html

But back to our earlier topic, I WOULD like to know where he stands on this issue...

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Not with ya on that. Chicks want to be treated the same as dudes and I agree. I cannot support any discrimination in anyway. Same everything.

ETA: after rereading your post you didn't actually say what I really thought you were going to say because you were responding to what I said.
Your response was actually generic and factual so my response was inapplicable. A reminder to think carefully anytime my thoughts are counter to those in a post of yours lol

;)

I'm fairly certain you got what I was saying, but I will elaborate just a bit for anybody who's skimming:

If armed women are accepted by society at large a little sooner than are armed men, I'm OK with that, because they tend to be at slightly greater risk than us "big" "strong" dudes, and therefore they need effective self-defense tools even more. As long as we all end up equal in the end!
:banana:

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

;)

I'm fairly certain you got what I was saying, but I will elaborate just a bit for anybody who's skimming:

If armed women are accepted by society at large a little sooner than are armed men, I'm OK with that, because they tend to be at slightly greater risk than us "big" "strong" dudes, and therefore they need effective self-defense tools even more. As long as we all end up equal in the end!
:banana:

Hey I can agree with that. Kinda like cheering in congratulations for the fairer sex waiting for my time.

Daniel_nimrod

I can't help but wonder if this is a smart thing for Papa Johns to do In such a highly publicized way. While I personally think it's an outstanding posture for them to take in having one of their team members back I also have to wonder how many times in the history of their company have they fired others for the exact same thing? If in fact there are other cases where other former employees have been fired for the exact same instances of self defense, how many cases are now going to be filed for wrongful termination? I'm no lawyer but I'm sure we haven't heard the end of this. I just hope this would have been the stance they took for ALL scenarios involving self defense and they haven't rallied around this particular instance for publicity reasons. I have to wonder if this won't come back to bite them in their six.
Doc out

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Most delivery drivers are employed "at will". Aside from certain legislatively-created "protected classes", nothing stops Papa Johns from firing the next armed delivery driver, if they see fit. They are under no obligation to be consistent other than in their willingness to employ protected classes.

Last edited: