• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

23rd Annual Vigil and Advocacy Day

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Took images of both rallies Td and while the antis did have more than normal, VCDL out numbered them by a fair margin.

wrearick

I agree....though the pictures didn't capture everyone gathered at the steps, the VCDL crowd "appeared" to be larger. We were heading to the car when the busses pulled up and I thought it was my imagination that one of them almost tried to run me over.....in hindsight, maybe it wasn't my imagination. :eek:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I agree....though the pictures didn't capture everyone gathered at the steps, the VCDL crowd "appeared" to be larger. We were heading to the car when the busses pulled up and I thought it was my imagination that one of them almost tried to run me over.....in hindsight, maybe it wasn't my imagination. :eek:

If they didn't run you over, how would they get a gun in the streets? Once it hits the pavement it animates and goes searching for nuns giving a birthday party for blind orphans, killing them in such a way that blood runs knee-deep in the streets. (But given Richmond's storm sewer system that's really not all that hard.)

stay safe.

Lyndsy Simon

Overheard a new one: "The pistols ALLOWED by the 2nd Amendment are only smoothbore."

Oooh, I like this one. Considering that smoothbore pistols are Title II weapons, let's see if we can make it stick, then use it to overturn the NFA :)

I rode up 9th this morning about 0830 and I saw the Orange Stickers. I wanted to get a feel for who showed up. The Antis outnumbered ya'll big time.

Uh... at 8:30, most of us were in the GAB.

crazydude6030

Uh... at 8:30, most of us were in the GAB.

The numbers seemed lower than years past. Looked like it was even lower than last years even. I think this event has been cursed on days with warm sunny winter days. People opt to do other events as a result. I had 10 people lined up to attend only one of those made it. :-/

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I don't think it's just the weather.

Several "special interests" are feeling more and more left out.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

stay safe.
I heard that one of our previously staunchest allies (motorcycle group) has allegedly been told by their leadership to pick one or the other, us or them, but not both :(

Last edited:

crazydude6030

stay safe.

I am sure you guys might be more tuned in on some of that stuff. I am just going off the reasons I hear. One person told me that he wanted to work on his yard since it was a nice day.

I am ruined I think. My first lobby day the place was packed from top to bottom and it was rather hard to move about. That's what I always think of and compare with.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am sure you guys might be more tuned in on some of that stuff. I am just going off the reasons I hear. One person told me that he wanted to work on his yard since it was a nice day.

I am ruined I think. My first lobby day the place was packed from top to bottom and it was rather hard to move about. That's what I always think of and compare with.

I talked to the motorcycle folks and Grapeshot nailed it.
OCERS have been treated as poor relations.
HUNTERS have really been left out. I wouldnt wear a GSL sticker because of the lack of support for Sunday hunting. One member told me as Philip walked up yesterday "WE AREN'T A HUNTING ORGANIZATION JOIN VAHDA"...That's Kirby Burch' dog hunter organization that fought Sunday hunting. ..so yeah, lots of people pulled out and of the people there yesterday, many of us are no longer members.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Here's what the MSM is saying about VCDL on Lobby Day:

http://www.nbc29.com/story/27886142/gun-control-advocates-opponents-square-off-in-richmond

With the 2015 legislative session underway, Virginians for and against the state's current gun laws spoke out at rallies Monday. Both sides used safety as their ammunition.

Pro-gun forces held a rally during the morning. Many attendees wore orange "Guns Save Lives" stickers and a speaker assailed Gov. Terry McAuliffe and other gun-control advocates as "gun grabbers."

Virginians with concealed carry permits gathered in Capitol Square and cheered on the Second Amendment.
(emphasis added)

I'm guessing they did not go around asking everybody if they had a CHP or not, or even if they were CCing. I'm guessing that the image of the Lawfully Armed Citizen requires that they be certified as a "Good Guy" by virtue of holding a CHP. Those who carry without a CHP are probably rednecks, yahoos, or members of those eeeevilll militias.

wrearick

reading the article I could not help but draw a line between two dots......Do not like where/what the line points to....

" Under Gov. McAuliffe's platform they want to see that people with abusive backgrounds do not have access to guns."....
"Lisette Johnson said she felt trapped to a verbally-abusive husband, and almost died after 21 years of marriage."

From other news coverage, Lisette is the woman who was shot multiple times by her husband. Wonder what the criteria for determining who fits the bill of "people with abusive backgrounds" will be - This suggests that someone who is "verbally-abusive" should be denied access to guns.
Damn ..I mean Dang, that could apply to lots of folks I know, myself included......

Lyndsy Simon

I heard that one of our previously staunchest allies (motorcycle group) has allegedly been told by their leadership to pick one or the other, us or them, but not both :(

I was handing out stickers, and two different people wearing biker vests declined and apologized. That didn't really connect for me until now. WTF?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was handing out stickers, and two different people wearing biker vests declined and apologized. That didn't really connect for me until now. WTF?
Perhaps they think it dilutes their message, doesn't have any common core value.

IMHO when groups of a similar bent band together, the result is to increase the value of both exponentially - there is power in numbers.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Orange GSL stckers say you are there for gun bills. Everybody "knows" that. The motorcycle guys are not there specifically for gun bills and their leadership finally made them see what the perception was and what is was doing to their own lobbying efforts.

That "sea" of GSL stickers used to be IMHO about 50% from fellow travellers. Does anybody remember the year all the folks came to lobby for limits on payday lons? We gained about 300 GSL-wearers that day because a few of those folks talked with VCDL and agreed with the basic goals and then the rest of their crowd saw them wearing GSL stickers and got some themselves. That was the story I got from about 100 of them that I asked why they were wearing the GSL stickers - they saw others in their group wearing them and "thought" they were supposed to.

I'm not opposed to fellow travellers and come-alongs. I just wish some of them would stick with VCDL past Lobby Day.

stay safe.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

I talked to some of the motorcycle guys, who approached me for stickers. They were asked (not told) not to wear stickers from ANY other group. Their leadership fears being tuned out by those who would otherwise listen to their motorcycle concerns but don't like guns. I can understand that perspective. Single-issue is single issue.

We gun owners lose by diluting ourselves, too. I've decided not to do that ever again; while I support the anti-PEC groups, I won't wear their stickers again. A boatload of our people were wearing Susan Stimpson stickers, IMPLYING we agree with her on all issues, not just guns, which could turn off a number of other legislators.

And yes, the antis are feeling the power of turning out more and more people.