Thread: ‘Second Amendment Education Act’ seeks gun rights curriculum, allow school pro-gun ..

‘Second Amendment Education Act’ seeks gun rights curriculum, allow school pro-gun ..

‘Second Amendment Education Act’ seeks gun rights curriculum in S.C. South Carolina Rep. Alan Clemmons’ bill would allow ‘reasonable’ pro-gun expression by students A South Carolina state lawmaker wants students to celebrate gun rights in schools, so he introduced the “Second Amendment Education Act,” which designates Dec. 15 as “Second Amendment Awareness Day” and requires instruction on the right to bear arms for at least three consecutive weeks in the school year.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...gun-rights-cu/

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-education-nra

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...11RSHileByWrsM

H 3023 Session 121 (2015-2016)
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/query.ph...023&numrows=10

H 3023 General Bill, By Clemmons, Yow, G.R. Smith and Pitts
    A BILL TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, SO AS TO ENACT THE
    "SECOND AMENDMENT EDUCATION ACTNext OF 2015"; BY ADDING SECTION 59-29-25 SO AS TO
    DESIGNATE DECEMBER FIFTEENTH OF EACH YEAR AS "SECOND AMENDMENT AWARENESS DAY"
    IN SOUTH CAROLINA AND TO REQUIRE PUBLIC SCHOOLS TO CONDUCT POSTER OR ESSAY
    CONTESTS WITH RELATED THEMES, AND TO PROVIDE CERTAIN RECOGNITION FOR STATEWIDE
    CONTEST WINNERS; BY ADDING SECTION 59-29-125 SO AS TO PROVIDE ALL PUBLIC
    ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS, MIDDLE SCHOOLS, AND HIGH SCHOOLS SHALL PROVIDE INSTRUCTION
    IN THE SECOND AMENDMENT TO THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION FOR AT LEAST THREE
    CONSECUTIVE WEEKS IN ONE GRADING PERIOD IN EACH ACADEMIC YEAR, TO PROVIDE THAT
    IN PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOLS THIS COURSEWORK MAY BE USED TO PARTIALLY SATISFY
    EXISTING REQUIREMENTS FOR TEACHING THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION, AND TO
    PROVIDE THE STATE SUPERINTENDENT OF EDUCATION SHALL ADOPT A CURRICULUM FOR
    TEACHING THE SECOND AMENDMENT THAT HAS BEEN DEVELOPED OR RECOMMENDED BY THE
    NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION, AND TO PROVIDE CERTAIN REQUIREMENTS FOR THE
    COURSEWORK; AND TO AMEND SECTION 59-29-140, RELATING TO ENFORCEMENT OF THE
    STUDY OF THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION REQUISITE FOR GRADUATION, SO AS TO
    MAKE A CONFORMING CHANGE.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-16-2015 at 06:21 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

While it would be good for kids these days to know how to handle a firearm should they come across one, I don't think it should be forced on kids, especially if the family is anti-gun. They have the right to their opinions. Of course, I also don't think sex ed should be taught in school. These are issues that parents should be teaching their kids about, not schools. Just because parents fail at their job doesn't mean schools should take over the job.

Instruction on the 2A and instruction on firearms safety are two different things, just as biology and sex ed are two different classes.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-18-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Good point. I retract my comment.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Ridiculous that it should have to come to this to actually require teaching about the 2A in schools. I mean for christ's sake it's The Bill of Rights! Shouldn't it naturally be a subject learned in history class for every student in America?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Remember that the FedGov has directed education via funding for many years now.

Homeschool your kidz and send them to Hillsdale College. "In 2010 Hillsdale's "Resolution Against Federal Interference," stated that both Congress and the Obama administration appeared, "even more than the worst of their predecessors, bent on extending federal control over American higher education and other areas of American life." http://www.hillsdale.edu/file/about/...Resolution.pdf
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Instruction on the 2A and instruction on firearms safety are two different things, just as biology and sex ed are two different classes.
    You cannot have one without the other. Our 2A right is (can be) forfeit if we do not exercise our right safely and responsibly. This maxim does not apply to biology and sex-ed.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare