• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA Legislature considering banning open carry in chambers

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I am very sorry that "our side" got represented by d-bags. It VERY APPROPRIATELY should have a response from both the legislature and "our side."

You should no more show up there with an SBR at low ready, than you would show up to a legislative meeting in a Speedo and swearing at the assembly. Contempt charges should apply for misuse of the right to bear arms as they do to the misuse of the right to free speech at a government venue.

The response should not be to ban firearms. The mall-ninja d-bags did a good job at bringing the issue to an emotional false dichotomy.

Dave Workman

I don't find too much to disagree with there except that words have meanings and brandishing could be included in that definition. It does not seem to apply to the picture above.

I can understand YOU not thinking so, but look at it through the eyes of people who dislike us, or are afraid of us, or maybe have (as did some people who walked around the rally yesterday) children and young teens in tow, and you just might get a different perspective. And it's their perspective that counts.

Say we're both lawmakers minding the people's business, and into the gallery come a dozen total strangers carrying long guns in a way that looks like some of them might mean business.

Dave Workman

Exactly what the Black Panthers did, history repeats its self.

Hate to admit it, but I'm old enough to remember that when it happened. And it happened fast afterward in the state assembly and senate down there.
Do they have an "old guy" smiley?

Freedom1Man

They were brandishing.
No, that is not true.

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm—Unlawful carrying or handling—Penalty—Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:
(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;
(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;
(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;
(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or
(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

Jeff Hayes

Hate to admit it, but I'm old enough to remember that when it happened. And it happened fast afterward in the state assembly and senate down there.
Do they have an "old guy" smiley?

I remember too, this is not going to have a happy ending.

I am afraid we are going to need a lot more than old guy smiley faces in the near future.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
One can not simply ignore "the manifests" part. Words have meaning.

I'm inclined to agree. A low-ready rifle is not a holstered sidearm. It manifests alarm. The existing law should have been applied to those individuals, WITH OUR BLESSING, and we wouldn't be facing the dichotomy of "guns or no guns, period."

Jeff Hayes

I'm inclined to agree. A low-ready rifle is not a holstered sidearm. It manifests alarm. The existing law should have been applied to those individuals, WITH OUR BLESSING, and we wouldn't be facing the dichotomy of "guns or no guns, period."

Exactly correct IMHO.

OC Freedom

The conspiracy side of me has thought that maybe some of these guys are plants from the Bloomberg crowd to cause a negative effect. Naw, thats just crazy talk.

utbagpiper

Banned
The conspiracy side of me has thought that maybe some of these guys are plants from the Bloomberg crowd to cause a negative effect. Naw, thats just crazy talk.

Here is the sad thing. Whether they are plants or not, can you think of anything the gun grabbers could do--not involving actual loss of life--that would be more effective at harming our efforts than what jack hats like these did?

As H.L. Richardson teaches about legislators: All that matters is the votes. A "good guy" who votes against you, still voted against you. The guy who votes against you for a really good reason, still voted against you. A gun grabber who votes with you for all the wrong reasons or only because he fears your ability to defeat him in the next election, still voted for you.

A true believer in the 2nd amendment who pulls a stunt like this, still hurt us every bit as much as a Bloomberg plant. Probably more. A plant we might eventually uncover and discredit.

Charles

The Truth

+1 from an outsider

utbagpiper

Banned
Stop blaming people who exercise their rights for us loosing them. Blame the F'ing state!

First of all, "the state" is an abstraction. I can blame legislators. I could blame the voters who elect them. Yes, they are sheep. And if scared, they will vote to take away your rights. What do you intend to do about it? Ignore them and then go to prison when they send lots of men with guns to arrest you for violating the rules they set in place? Count on the judiciary to protect your RKBA from democracy votes? Or do something to actually win their hearts and minds so they vote to support your rights rather than take them?

I'm open to any choices I missed.

Next, these ass-hats were no more "exercis[ing] their rights" to carry guns or send a message than would be sheet wearing Klan members burning a cross in the city park. It is reported they had poor muzzle control. They have exposed triggers. They are carrying guns at low ready. They clearly gave little to no thought about what actually constituted a truly safe direction for their muzzles.

Under both the State statute posted, and all "reasonable man" common sense, these kids crossed the line from peaceful exercise of their RKBA and speech/expression into the properly criminal conduct of placing other men in reasonable fear for their safety. And in the process gave the gun-grabbers at least a full session's worth of ammo to use against RKBA. I hope things go better for Washington than they did for Cali following the Black Panthers carrying long guns into their capital.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned

+1

SovereigntyOrDeath

Interesting theory. It would be nice to identify those folks and find out who they really are, but who has the time and resources and willingness to investigate?

Poor choice on their part if they are legit based on results. OC Banned!

Just as I would have kept my pistol holstered, I would have carried my rifle in a sling and not in my hands at the ready.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I can understand YOU not thinking so, but look at it through the eyes of people who dislike us, or are afraid of us, or maybe have (as did some people who walked around the rally yesterday) children and young teens in tow, and you just might get a different perspective. And it's their perspective that counts.

Say we're both lawmakers minding the people's business, and into the gallery come a dozen total strangers carrying long guns in a way that looks like some of them might mean business.

Then maybe we shouldn't be law makers. :p