• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TTAG conflates self defense against Charlie Hebdo-type attack

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
https://www.facebook.com/thetruthaboutguns/posts/809973679070061

Take 40 yahoos off the street who have no idea how guns work, let alone know anything about the basics of self defense shooting, hand them a simunitions handgun and see if they can survive a bunch of tacticool instructors recreating the Charlie Hebdo massacre. Oh, yeah - and invite the press to watch it.

For me this just reinforces the mantra that mere possession of a self defense handgun is no magical talisman that will protect you from evil. But then I have a little knowledge about the subject. (Which also reinforces the saying about a little knowledge being dangerous.:uhoh:)

If the alternatives are 1) standing there square to your attacker, 2) hiding, or 3) running away then doors 2 and three are always going to be your best bets. If we add door #4 that holds basic self defense stuff like getting off the X, use of cover, and movement then doors #2 and #3 lose a lot of their charm.

But I'm a paranoid millitia member gun nut if I even try to mention any of this to the media who are falling all over themselves reporting how guns did nothing to protect those poor dweebs in the massacre recreation.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So, its better just to die w/o any chance v. dying with your boots on (what I took from the goofy re-enactment).

Heck, may as well just shoot ourselves in the head today ... save the trouble

Its like that 20/20 show about students CCing or OCing and having kids wearing huge sweaters and shirts that caused issues ... clothing that a carrier would not wear.

They should have given me the opportunity in the re-enactment...I would have switched barrels and loaded real ammo in and wiped them all out !

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
These sort of things are so stupid. Whether or not a given individual manages to single-handedly stop multiple terrorists is hardly the point.

The implication they want us to take is that having a gun somehow makes us less safe, which is absurd. There's no way that adding another option to my repertoire does anything but give me one more chance at survival.

That is to say, I don't have to use the gun just because I have it. Indeed, maybe I choose to flee. Well, if I have a gun I can cover my escape should I encounter resistance. I don't have sacrifice myself in some sort of heroic yet futile banzai charge just to prove some point.

Then again, I have that option should it suddenly become attractive.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

I don't care what any reenactment shows or any pundits pontificate.
The simple fact is every human should have the right to defend himself against any odds.
Would it have made a difference? We can never truly say. But whatever else, the person cowering in fear when terror comes should have had the option to be armed against it.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I don't care what any reenactment shows or any pundits pontificate.
The simple fact is every human should have the right to defend himself against any odds.
Would it have made a difference? We can never truly say. But whatever else, the person cowering in fear when terror comes should have had the option to be armed against it.

Let's see unarmed DIE! Armed~maybe/possibly die, but at least you had a chance. Plus the actors in this reenactment knew they were not going to die, that often leads to stupid choices on both ends. That is the problem with these fantasy reenactments, or shoot don't shoot games. EVERYBODY knows they are not going to die.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
skid,

The response depends on the particular country under discussion (yet is probably true for most the EU member nations).

In those cases, running away is the correct response.

-- Monty Python (yes, ALL of us agree)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
so, its better just to die w/o any chance v. Dying with your boots on (what i took from the goofy re-enactment).

Heck, may as well just shoot ourselves in the head today ... Save the trouble

its like that 20/20 show about students ccing or ocing and having kids wearing huge sweaters and shirts that caused issues ... Clothing that a carrier would not wear.

They should have given me the opportunity in the re-enactment...i would have switched barrels and loaded real ammo in and wiped them all out !

would you please stop helping?