• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

remember broken taillight stop? Here's one regarding open v CC laws

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://fourthamendment.com/?p=15490

"In a consensual encounter, the officer saw the butt of a gun sticking out of defendant’s back pocket. The direction to him to “turn around” was custodial. Even assuming that defendant had a right to carry a gun, any mistake of law was reasonable under Heien. United States v. Moore, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 180138 (N.D. Ala. December 22, 2014)"

Of course, the information was all based on simple testimony by the cop? Likely.

Fallschirjmäger

(officer’s reasonable, but mistaken, belief that defendant had violated state law was sufficient to establish reasonable suspicion to justify Terry stop).

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a mistake of law can be 'reasonable'. If one of us peons makes a mistake in the law, when has it ever been held to be 'reasonable'?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a mistake of law can be 'reasonable'. If one of us peons makes a mistake in the law, when has it ever been held to be 'reasonable'?

That's why they are legalizing drugs ... to give you the tools to be able to get your head around this subject matter...like LSD, crack, weed, etc....

twoskinsonemanns

IGNORANCE OF THE LAW IS NO EXCEPTION!! Wait. uh... well it can be if you have a badge and blue costume showing your status in the right gang.

OC for ME

So it begins. It did not take long for the new training to be used to the benefit of the state...and to the detriment of the citizenry.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Where is this United States v. Moore case?

I've searched all over for this case, even the Eleventh Circuit's website, no can find.

I'm betting it doesn't say what fourthamendment is reporting. And if it is then the Eleventh Circuit doesn't understand Heien v. North Carolina.

bc.cruiser