Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: State Senate bans openly carried guns in public gallery

State Senate bans openly carried guns in public gallery

http://seattletimes.com/html/politic...lleryguns.html

The recent ban on open carry in the Senate chambers presents an opportunity. Did it seem a little strange that the WSP does not seem applauding this rule change? Imagine the following scenario.

1) Conceal your handguns inside of a backpack. Alternately, openly carry a handgun.
    2) Enter the gallery and follow the procedure for turning over the backpack to the WSP (I don't know how the procedure works as I have not attempted to carry a backpack into the gallery).
    3) Inform the WSP that there is a handgun(s) inside the backpack and insist that they give you a written receipt for the handgun(s) to document the transfer.
    4) On the way back out attempt to retrieve the backpack and handgun(s).
    5) Document the experience and inform the SAF as to exactly how the WSP handles the situation. (Do they skip the process of performing a background check?)

In fact, I'm going to write a letter to the Lieutenant Governor and the WSP asking them to provide a copy of their procedural document for managing transfers while people enter and exit the chambers.

http://seattletimes.com/html/politic...lleryguns.html

Lt. Gov. Brad Owen announced Friday that the public will no longer be able to openly carry firearms in the state Senate chamber's public viewing area.

By RACHEL LA CORTE
    Last edited by 44Brent; 01-17-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Banned
    Don't blame the OCers ... put the blame where is deserves to be laid ... at the public officials.

I have to wonder if the people that did the OC demonstration weren't planning to purposefully put the WSP in a box on this?
    Last edited by 44Brent; 01-17-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Brent View Post
    I have to wonder if the people that did the OC demonstration weren't planning to purposefully put the WSP in a box on this?
    They were just idiots misbehaving. From a witness who was there:

"They started becoming more disruptive during Paige Biron’s speech. I just ignored it, that is until we heard the familiar sound of charging handles and bolts. I was mortified when I looked back to see loaded magazines being pulled and inserted and charging handles struck. This happened about midway through Joe Huffman’s speech. Who they kept trying to talk over as well. Joe did a fantastic job refusing to engage the misbehaving and distracting children in the back." Barron Barnett
    "Nullification is the rightful remedy" Thomas Jefferson
    http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter...-preservation/

"Constitutional Carry is not an oxymoron"
    A Sovereign

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SovereigntyOrDeath View Post

"They started becoming more disruptive during Paige Biron’s speech. I just ignored it, that is until we heard the familiar sound of charging handles and bolts. I was mortified when I looked back to see loaded magazines being pulled and inserted and charging handles struck. This happened about midway through Joe Huffman’s speech. Who they kept trying to talk over as well. Joe did a fantastic job refusing to engage the misbehaving and distracting children in the back." Barron Barnett
    I've done zero research on this but if this is true, what a bunch of morons.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Wtf.......?

This really happened?
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar

Sounds like some folks well fed up with the ******** political regime. I salute them.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Leading to this question:

Unfolding debate: Do rifle-toting activists help or hurt 2A effort?

In the wake of Friday’s announcement that the Washington State Senate will no longer allow open carry of firearms in its gallery, a debate has erupted in the firearms community as to whether long gun open carry demonstrations advance or hurt the Second Amendment cause.

http://www.examiner.com/article/unfo...hurt-2a-effort

Banned

There are likely rules about disruptive behavior that have the effect of law already. So if they are being disruptive, they already had the tools to address this issue.

Again, blame the politicians.

There is a right way and a wrong way to go about supporting ones cause. This was not well thought out by those who did this. They may have seriously harmed support for the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr45ACP View Post
    There is a right way and a wrong way to go about supporting ones cause. This was not well thought out by those who did this. They may have seriously harmed support for the cause.
    When I first posted this article I originally referred to the guys in the photograph as "idiots". Then I thought about it for a bit and realized this incident opened the door to forcing the WSP to get into the "prop transfer" business, and to quit waffling on what I-594 means with respect to transfers of political "props" aka firearms. Instead of focusing on the idiocy of these guys, it's best to grab the opportunity which has now presented itself.

The guys in the picture may be idiots, but the people running the State Senate are even bigger idiots, as they are going to end up handing evidence to SAF on a silver platter that can be presented in court.
    Last edited by 44Brent; 01-17-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Ultimately this type of protest is likely to result in more restrictive legislation, not less.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    What some people here are basically saying is "Don't engage in that perfectly legal behavior, because if you engage in the perfectly legal behavior the government will take action to restrict that perfectly legal behavior." I just cannot agree with saying someone should not do something perfectly legal because of the threat of potential government action.
    +1
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post

In the wake of Friday’s announcement that the Washington State Senate will no longer allow open carry of firearms in its gallery, a debate has erupted in the firearms community as to whether long gun open carry demonstrations advance or hurt the Second Amendment cause.

yes they hurt the 2A cause just like being a Jew hurt the individual freedoms cause in nazi germany.
    I'd rather see these guys out there ruffling feathers than the countless ***** gun owners sitting at home doing nothing.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    yes they hurt the 2A cause just like being a Jew hurt the individual freedoms cause in nazi germany. I'd rather see these guys out there ruffling feathers than the countless ***** gun owners sitting at home doing nothing.
    Unfortunately for the narrow minded, Fareynikte Partizaner Organizatsye פֿאַראײניקטע פּאַרטיזאַנער אָרגאַניזאַציע was Zionist and Communist. Shalom aleikhem
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-17-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post

A right is a right, yes? No one can "hurt" it. A debate in the firearms community should focus on the willingness of politicians to oppress a right, nothing more.

I've had this debate a zillion times with self professed "pro-2nd" folks....most folks simply don't understand; they say its a right but then are more than willing to support the oppression of the right that they supposedly support.
    They are more than willing to give up their freedoms for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    A right is a right, yes? No one can "hurt" it. A debate in the firearms community should focus on the willingness of politicians to oppress a right, nothing more.

I've had this debate a zillion times with self professed "pro-2nd" folks....most folks simply don't understand; they say its a right but then are more than willing to support the oppression of the right that they supposedly support.
    They are more than willing to give up their freedoms for nothing.
    Another truffle!

Owen claims leadership from both caucuses were OK with this, I think we need to contact the GOP leaders and find out if that's true. Brandishing is one thing, OCing in a holstered/slung position should be another. I cannot believe the GOP leadership would ban it all...

two steps forward, one step back......

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Wtf.......?

This really happened?
    Unfortunately it did happen and the results of the stupidity are not what we wanted. OC Banned!

http://www.the-minuteman.org/2015/01...azy-comes-out/
    "Nullification is the rightful remedy" Thomas Jefferson
    http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter...-preservation/

"Constitutional Carry is not an oxymoron"
    A Sovereign

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Thomas Jefferson

Unfortunately it did happen and the results of the stupidity are not what we wanted. OC Banned!

http://www.the-minuteman.org/2015/01...azy-comes-out/
    Truly sorry to hear that brother. Only takes a few to wreck it for the many. Sincerely hope you boys can get them to change this back or repeal any rules.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Owen claims leadership from both caucuses were OK with this, I think we need to contact the GOP leaders and find out if that's true. Brandishing is one thing, OCing in a holstered/slung position should be another. I cannot believe the GOP leadership would ban it all...
    Its a GOP majority now isn't it? Why wouldn't you believe it? They are not that interested in your rights.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Its a GOP majority now isn't it? Why wouldn't you believe it? They are not that interested in your rights.
    Follow the money. There is not a spit of pearl-jam difference among the D, R, L, they're all progressives, paid progressives.

Where it belongs

You know I got out of OCDO, when it started changing direction a few years back. But, back then, alot of the discussion was how to properly do OC, how to present OC in a Professional, Calm manner. We did the Oak Harbor visit, rifle slung ON BACK, pistols remained in holsters. Gatherings in parks and at Willow lake, I don't think any brandished a gun and there were some cool ones in holsters. NO ONE GRIPPED, NO ONE DREW, NO ONE HANDLED. Meet organizers were clear and concise. NEVER IN ANY OF THE MEETS OR PROTESTS I ATTENDED FOR 3 YEARS, WOULD FIREARMS HAVE BEEN HANDLED IN THE MANNER DISPLAYED AT THE CAPITAL. When there was a Problem such as Starbucks, WE oc'rs took the responsibility, we pushed Starbucks, they pushed back, and showed us the door.

Then we had the Starbucks Photo. After that it just seemed to me to become a fight just to fight against the "antis" "lets embarrass the police", "lets cause OC incidents".

The law is in place and instead of wanting the change it or organize to change it, OC'rs BLATANTLY DEFIED IT. And now as I read the posts here, there is so much name calling and angle adjusting and spin doctoring, the story "I saw this", "I never saw that", "*THOSE* people need to adjust how they view us ". Instead of just saying "Hey we screwed this one bad, the cause is set back A HELL OF A LOT" and that's the truth.

Those at the capital that wanted to show defiance, you did. What did you get? BANNED! In a time sensitive to firearms,(T.S. accept that threw the use of firearms by criminals the firearm culture has taken a HUGE hit in recent years) when firearm crimes leads the headlines, the capital group looked like vigilantes. They looked like a militia. THEY LOOKED FRIGHTENING TO THE PUBLIC (the people who's mind's you want to change). Right or wrong, the crowd at the capital, looked embarrassing to the OC cause, they were proclaiming for. They looked like what every ANTI wants the voter to see, Scary, Careless, Reckless gun nuts. The DAMAGE is done. Take responsibility for it. I'm sick of the excuses, I would like to see some return to the old ways, and patterns for the OC cause.

You can hate me for writing this, you can disagree with it, but this has been the topic of discussion among every firearm person I know in recent days. This is coming from an OC'r. Retired member of this site, who was there at Willow Lake, there on King 5, there in the trenches for 3 years. An OC'r that watched the media coverage both back then, and now and has read the threads here once again. Watch the media coverage from back then on how we were portrayed, then watch the coverage about the capital display and how gun owners are displayed today.

Remember, it is the sheeple that vote, scare the sheep, and you see the way they go.

TR

A PAST Capital Rally

Anyone that wants to argue my point above, here is a past Capital Rally Announcement. See how it compares to how the recent rally went down.

I have pretty much everything in place.I just received a call from Clint Didier who will be attending also and will speak on 2A issues and where we are headed.Other speakers are Shiram Hadian ,Phil Watson of the SAF ,Dave Workman,Mark Knapp (attorney),sate representative Dave Taylor,and others.
    There will be a table for kids with prize bags , balloons and other patriotic goodies.there will other participants such as WA.guns ,south sound Patriots Constitution Party Garrette Loyde King and others that supported us last year.The program will open with Kerry Hooks singing the National Anthem ,the Pledge of allegiance and a veterans tribute and prayer.This is expected to be huge and KIRO has mentioned they were going to cover this event. Attendence could be thousands .

Jeff Hayes (orphan ) will head the security team which we still need some help with.
    As we are trying to present an extremley positive image I would ask that long guns be left at home.This is not about what we own ,but a show in mass of support for our 2nd amendment rights.State patrol has requested that if long guns are displayed that they be slung over the back ,muzzle down,no mags and bolt open.Security will also be verifying that this is the case and no one is handle ling weapons.
    Also dress appropriately please as it is a positive image of law abiding gun owners we are to portray.
    I would also ask help with sodas coffee and water .If folks could bring some coolers with this and maybe pick up some of those coffee boxes from starbucks would be super.Pleas pm or e-mail me with anything you can help with. - DEROS72

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast