Thread: Flare gun question, inserts

Flare gun question, inserts

In a conversation the other day, a friend who works on a fishing boat mentioned that he has a flare gun that has inserts that allow for shotgun shell or pistol ammo to be used.

It's marked with www.kennesawcannon.com GW3296

How would the rules / laws work on something like this?
    Only becomes a pistol when the inserts are in place?
    Becomes a pistol when insert and ammo (loaded)?
    If shotgun shell insert used, is it a short barreled shotgun? Need a NFA stamp?

Any info, thoughts?
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

12 ga. flare guns are likely more common than the 25 mm's but they're both common. There are 12 ga and 25 mm on this page
    http://www.westmarine.com/buy/orion-...lares--9376443
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The web address in the OP doesn't work for me.

Even 12-ga. flare guns are not designed to fire shotshell ammunition. Most, if not all of them, are not designed to handle the higher pressure.

I would think the insert must otherwise make a legal firearm, and the usage would constitute the owner of the flare gun to be making a firearm for personal use. So, if using with a pistol cartridge, the insert would need to be rifled, wouldn't it? I would still be skeptical of the breech of a flare gun handling the pressures of the pistol cartridge.

I have an unregistered 37-mm gas/flare gun with a shoulder stock. I can't use inserts that fire "anti-personnel" rounds, including firearm cartridges without first registering it as an NFA "destructive device."
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-18-2015 at 04:15 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

The Taurus Judge is legal because there is rifling in the end of the barrel, I believe the inserts are also rifled.

Putting a insert into a flare gun is legal, same thing as manufacturing your own gun. Just don't sell it that way.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Here's a better link, the one in the OP was on the flare gun and doesn't exist anymore.

Better LINK

"Owning a 26.5mm flare gun and a SCD can constitute a title one firearm and will be subject to all local, state and federal laws regarding ownership and transfer of a firearm as defined by the B.A.T.F.E. The sub-caliber devices are legal due to the rifled barrels. Beware: some adaptors on the market do not have rifled barrels and could make you a felon! Not A Toy, Adult Supervision is Required. Flare gun and ammunition not included. All offers void where prohibited by law.
    Cannot be shipped to Ohio, or any other state that deems them an illegal firearm once assembled.
    Cannot be shipped to Canada.

Effective October 1st, 2012, we will offer our same great products through our dealers only. Click the BUY NOW link below to purchase from your favorite dealer."

Sorry, should have checked the link first before posting.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Ohio law
    R.D. 2923.11(G) "Zip-gun" means any of the following:

(1) Any firearm of crude and extemporized manufacture;

(2) Any device, including without limitation a starter's pistol, that is not designed as a firearm, but that is specially adapted for use as a firearm;

(3) Any industrial tool, signalling device, or safety device, that is not designed as a firearm, but that as designed is capable of use as such, when possessed, carried, or used as a firearm.
    Intent....