• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flare gun question, inserts

Lord Sega

In a conversation the other day, a friend who works on a fishing boat mentioned that he has a flare gun that has inserts that allow for shotgun shell or pistol ammo to be used.

It's marked with www.kennesawcannon.com GW3296

How would the rules / laws work on something like this?
Only becomes a pistol when the inserts are in place?
Becomes a pistol when insert and ammo (loaded)?
If shotgun shell insert used, is it a short barreled shotgun? Need a NFA stamp?

Any info, thoughts?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The web address in the OP doesn't work for me.

Even 12-ga. flare guns are not designed to fire shotshell ammunition. Most, if not all of them, are not designed to handle the higher pressure.

I would think the insert must otherwise make a legal firearm, and the usage would constitute the owner of the flare gun to be making a firearm for personal use. So, if using with a pistol cartridge, the insert would need to be rifled, wouldn't it? I would still be skeptical of the breech of a flare gun handling the pressures of the pistol cartridge.

I have an unregistered 37-mm gas/flare gun with a shoulder stock. I can't use inserts that fire "anti-personnel" rounds, including firearm cartridges without first registering it as an NFA "destructive device."

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The Taurus Judge is legal because there is rifling in the end of the barrel, I believe the inserts are also rifled.

Putting a insert into a flare gun is legal, same thing as manufacturing your own gun. Just don't sell it that way.

Lord Sega

Here's a better link, the one in the OP was on the flare gun and doesn't exist anymore.

Better LINK

"Owning a 26.5mm flare gun and a SCD can constitute a title one firearm and will be subject to all local, state and federal laws regarding ownership and transfer of a firearm as defined by the B.A.T.F.E. The sub-caliber devices are legal due to the rifled barrels. Beware: some adaptors on the market do not have rifled barrels and could make you a felon! Not A Toy, Adult Supervision is Required. Flare gun and ammunition not included. All offers void where prohibited by law.
Cannot be shipped to Ohio, or any other state that deems them an illegal firearm once assembled.
Cannot be shipped to Canada.

Effective October 1st, 2012, we will offer our same great products through our dealers only. Click the BUY NOW link below to purchase from your favorite dealer."

Sorry, should have checked the link first before posting.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Ohio law
R.D. 2923.11(G) "Zip-gun" means any of the following:

(1) Any firearm of crude and extemporized manufacture;

(2) Any device, including without limitation a starter's pistol, that is not designed as a firearm, but that is specially adapted for use as a firearm;

(3) Any industrial tool, signalling device, or safety device, that is not designed as a firearm, but that as designed is capable of use as such, when possessed, carried, or used as a firearm.
Intent....