• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This bill slipped past me and it's a bad one

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
SB 1178 Firearms; numerous changes to laws regarding.
Adam P. Ebbin | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles
another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications House Minutes Senate Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box

Summary as introduced:
Firearms; penalties. Makes numerous changes to laws regarding firearms. The bill provides that a person may be held civilly liable for injury to the person or property of another or for wrongful death resulting from the use of a firearm by a child under the age of 14 or in the commission of a crime if it can be shown by clear and convincing evidence that the firearm came into the possession of the child or person who committed the crime because of the failure of the civil defendant to adequately secure the firearm. The bill allows localities to enact an ordinance to prohibit the possession of pneumatic guns on school property, at school functions held on public property, and on school buses. The bill removes the provision that local ordinances on gun buy-back programs must require that the gun be offered for sale by public auction or sealed bids. The bill creates criminal penalties for adults who leave unsecured firearms where they are accessible by children or who negligently supervise children with firearms. The bill creates a Class 1 misdemeanor for a person who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs to carry a loaded firearm on or about his person in a public place, and a person found guilty is ineligible to apply for a concealed handgun permit for a period of five years. The bill also creates a Class 2 misdemeanor for a person who carries a loaded firearm on or about his person onto the premises of any restaurant or club licensed to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption and consumes an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. The bill also creates a Class 2 misdemeanor for a person who is not a licensed dealer to sell, rent, trade, or transfer a firearm to a person who is not a licensed dealer and for a person who is not a licensed dealer to buy, rent, trade, or transfer a firearm from a person who is not a licensed dealer; certain transfers are exempted, such as between immediate family members, when necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm, and by operation of law. The bill removes the ability to take an electronic, video, or online course for demonstration of competence with a handgun by an applicant for a concealed handgun permit. The bill also requires a fingerprint-based criminal history record information check before issuance of a concealed handgun permit. The bill removes the prohibition on the clerk of a circuit court who issues a concealed handgun permit from publicly disclosing an applicant's name and any other information contained in a concealed handgun permit application or in any order issuing a concealed handgun permit. The bill limits the number of firearms that a person may purchase to one firearm in a 30-day period, subject to certain exceptions.Full text:
01/13/15 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/14/15 15100426D pdf | impact statement

01/13/15 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/14/15 151

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Is he trying to undo decades of progress all in one bill? Ambitious.

Repeater

No surprise

From the Alexandria News:
Senator Adam Ebbin (D-Alexandria) has introduced legislation aimed at reducing accidental and aggravated gun violence. More can be done to address senseless gun violence in our communities. We need laws that move us forward, not backwards. My bills are commonsense solutions to address the all-to-frequent circumstances of innocent lives being destroyed by guns.” Senator Ebbin’s two bills are SB 1179 and SB 1178.

I warned he was going to spread gun-hatred.

TFred

I suspect, and certainly hope that this bill will be killed in committee faster than it would take to read the full text!

This is well beyond "undoing," it's worse. Bans most private sales, requires fingerprinting for all CHP applications...

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I suspect, and certainly hope that this bill will be killed in committee faster than it would take to read the full text!

This is well beyond "undoing," it's worse. Bans most private sales, requires fingerprinting for all CHP applications...

TFred

It looks like the Governors attack TFred. I've been wondering where the really bad stuff was.

I'm going to watch it carefully....Courts of Justice is still full of anti's, pro's and can't be trusted's

Last edited:

TFred

01/13/15 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/14/15 151[/TD]
BTW, I wouldn't say "slipped past me." It was not filed until just over a week ago. They were clearly trying to sneak this one in.

So you think it might make it out of the Senate committee? My prediction: Press coverage will be extensive at every successful step and then silent when it finally dies. This will leave many mindless folks to assume it became law.

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Ebbin wouldn't speak to me when I was at his office on Monday. He sent out his LA, who seemed surprised I could oppose this bill.

I do believe it will die, and quickly. I believe it's Ebbin's way of kissing McAuliffe's boots, and Bloomberg's by extension.

Been watching Ebbin's campaign reports on vpap.org; I'm not seeing Bloomberg money, but there isn't very detailed information that I could find.