Thread: Bill fully recognizing right to carry introduced

Bill fully recognizing right to carry introduced

“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

I was just reading this. I hope Missouri gets on board with as i live in KC it would make going back and forth between work and home so much easier.

What are the odds this goes through? Looks like huge GOP majorities in the KS legislature along with a solid conservative Governor.
    In WV we also have a similar bill, and according to a questionnaire to those legislators will pass it easily. It would be awesome if multiple states went this way this year.

Banned
    +1 for your profile pic ... this new? I never noticed it before.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280

What are the odds this goes through?

I would say with the hard work that Patricia Stoneking and the KSRA have done this should pass without any problems.

Kansas is a great State!!!

Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-26-2015 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Rule #19

Have you noticed?

The lone democratic sponsor

(State) Senator Laura Kelly (D-18)
    Email: Laura.Kelly@senate.ks.gov
    Phone: (785) 296-7365

Must be a Blue Dog Democrat, God bless em!
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

So the NRA is all over this, but it wouldnt be if it was about OC. And yes I am a member, but.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    What are the odds this goes through? Looks like huge GOP majorities in the KS legislature along with a solid conservative Governor.
    In WV we also have a similar bill, and according to a questionnaire to those legislators will pass it easily. It would be awesome if multiple states went this way this year.
    Huge GOP majorities don't necessarily mean anything. Well, in Florida they don't anyway, where GOP just means neocon in many cases. However, it appears that some of the leadership in the Ks legislature is on board with many co sponsors which could swing neocon indifference/hostility and get the bill through. Sam Brownback the governor is pro gun, but I don't know if he's Rick Perry pro gun (believes in privileges dispensed relatively easily for the time being) or Ron Paul pro gun (right to bear arms means what it says).

If there is a bottleneck somewhere, for example, if Brownback whispers that he'll veto it, then the GOP goes into self protection mode and it just dies in committee or is amended to strip it of its first intention. In this way the enemies of freedom are preserved while not looking bad popularly and they can still say "I suppport the 2nd amendment".
    Last edited by 77zach; 02-09-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

It passed out of committee. It was however amended to increase the constitutional concealed carry age from 18 to 21.

I guess to make it more palatable for a quick pass. Will have to work on that next year

On the contrary...

Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
    So the NRA is all over this, but it wouldnt be if it was about OC. And yes I am a member, but.
    KS legislature passed HB 2578 in 2014 which eliminated local communities from imposing bans on the statewide legality of open carry. NRA was out in force to make sure it passed. https://www.nraila.org/articles/2014...igned-into-law

Quote Originally Posted by DGunzUSVET View Post
    KS legislature passed HB 2578 in 2014 which eliminated local communities from imposing bans on the statewide legality of open carry. NRA was out in force to make sure it passed. https://www.nraila.org/articles/2014...igned-into-law
    It seems each state affiliate of NRA is different, most are passively pro OC or pro permitless for both OC and CC. There might be some anti OC in Tx from what I've heard. NRA was against permitless CC in New Hampshire because it didn't respect the federal "gun free" school zone law. The horror.

What's a sure thing is their priority is perks for permitees. Because that's what the majority of their members want.
    Last edited by 77zach; 02-26-2015 at 01:53 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    It seems each state affiliate of NRA is different, most are passively pro OC or pro permitless for both OC and CC. There might be some anti OC in Tx from what I've heard. NRA was against permitless CC in New Hampshire because it didn't respect the federal "gun free" school zone law. The horror.

What's a sure thing is their priority is perks for permitees. Because that's what the majority of their members want.
    I was not aware that the NRA listened to the rank and file membership.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.