• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Las Vegas City parks gun laws question

28kfps

The Las Vegas City parks gun laws has come up on the FB page. If I remember correctly maybe a little more than a year ago I believe I seen a poster that posted a picture Las Vegas City park sign with the new City Park laws posted.
I believe the sign for the most part reflected the below information. Gun prohibited per an NRS that within the NRS says if one is legal to posses a gun they can have it while on the park. I have spent over an hour trying to find info on this. Can anyone clarify?

If the below ordinance is currently the rules to City Parks the way it’s written, it appears that it exempts firearms "as permitted by law"

13.36.020 Prohibitions.
(A)The following are prohibited within any City park, recreational facility or public plaza, including any parking area that serves the park, facility or plaza:
(6) Firearms, archery equipment or other weapons of any kind, except as otherwise provided in Subsection (D);

(D) The prohibition set forth in Paragraph (6) of Subsection (A) shall not apply to:

(1)Activities specifically approved under this Chapter in connection with a particular event;
(2)The possession of firearms that is otherwise permitted by State law; or
(3)The possession of a concealed weapon by a person who holds a valid permit to do so that has been issued under, or is recognized pursuant to, the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

I think that is the change that was made. The other part of that is, they passed a new law relating to firearms. Which by preemption they cant do. So any new law is invalid.

Count

Founder's Club Member
13.36.020 Prohibitions.
(A)The following are prohibited within any City park, recreational facility or public plaza, including any parking area that serves the park, facility or plaza:
(6) Firearms, archery equipment or other weapons of any kind, except as otherwise provided in Subsection (D);

(D) The prohibition set forth in Paragraph (6) of Subsection (A) shall not apply to:

(1)Activities specifically approved under this Chapter in connection with a particular event;
(2)The possession of firearms that is otherwise permitted by State law; or
(3)The possession of a concealed weapon by a person who holds a valid permit to do so that has been issued under, or is recognized pursuant to, the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369.[/QUOTE]

Apparently the city ordinance acknowledges that if state law allows you to carry than it is O.K. to carry. Does that mean the city officially surrendered in its stubborn ignoring of state preemption? Will cops arrest you if you openly carry in city parks? I don't think they can, based on this ordinance.......

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
NRS said:
...(D) The prohibition set forth in Paragraph (6) of Subsection (A) shall not apply to:

(2)The possession of firearms that is otherwise permitted by State law; or...

Apparently the city ordinance acknowledges that if state law allows you to carry than it is O.K. to carry. Does that mean the city officially surrendered in its stubborn ignoring of state preemption? Will cops arrest you if you openly carry in city parks? I don't think they can, based on this ordinance.......

Note the underlined word in the exception. They may say that that means the law must expressly "permit" it, whereas Nevada's laws are rightfully silent on the issue.

This law is wrong, of course, but I'm just pointing out how they may interpret it while you are trying to beat it.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Note the underlined word in the exception. They may say that that means the law must expressly "permit" it, whereas Nevada's laws are rightfully silent on the issue.

This law is wrong, of course, but I'm just pointing out how they may interpret it while you are trying to beat it.

You are right Mac. My experiences tell me that they will dismiss when confronted in court with the law. Only after you catch a good dose of violence, and spend a night in jail. (Who votes for these people?) When confronted they will opt out, (Dismiss, avoiding a higher court ruling,) so they may perpetuate the the same immoral, violent behavior against other unsuspecting victims.

28kfps

In the last few days I have been trying to fine out what the official rules are for carrying a legal gun in the Las Vegas City parks are. This may be old news for some.
Decided to try and do this over the phone instead of via e-mail. One reason for doing it over the phone is because of limited time and lack of knowledge on how to break the city enigma code on where they hid the park gun law information CODE they kept referring to.
I did start out with an e-mail to the City Parks and Recreational information asking where I could get such info with a reply to call.
After 3 transfers I was directed to the City Marshal Deputies phone number 702-229-64444. Asking the dispatch person what the law is on carrying a legal owned firearm on the City Parks I immediately received you cannot. Can you direct me to the law; code or NRS that says a legal carried firearm is not allowed. After on hold a few times she came back with the NRS referring to schools.
After checking the NRS to make sure my bad memory of this NRS was it only had to do with Schools I called back.
Talked to another dispatch and she said it was municipals code not an NRS. I asked for the code reference number she put me on hold and said she did not have time to find it and directed me to the web page. I all ready had the code I believe they were going to refer to. It is the same that has been posted by other posters.
I called back today, put on hold and on comes John Donohue not sure of the spelling with a title of I believe of Sargent. I asked him and his said there was a code that said guns were not allowed on City Parks. I asked him if he could refer me to the code. He said look I am working on an investigation and just telling you cannot have guns on City Parks. Me- Ok I am not here to cause an argument or waste your time Just want to know what the reference number to this code and the only code I found says in my words if a person is a legal gun owner his gun is ok. And the Sate Preemptive law also says a legal carried gun is ok. John- with a little aggravation tone in his voice said there is a code that says guns are not allowed. Me- trying to say the code also said legal gun owners is ok. John-interrupts me and says something to this affect, to listen to what he is saying which did piss me off however I listen. John’s reply in a paraphrase as I cannot remember it word for word. There is a code that says guns are not allowed on City Parks however Nevada does recognize the 2nd Amendment, open carry and CCWs. Any law enforcer “would” his words “ shy away from arresting a legal gun owner” unless they were breaking some other law.
Just my opinion in conclusion the powers to be just cannot bring themselves to say legal gun owner firearms are ok and appear to want the ability to intimidate with their bogus laws. However I did get what appeared to be a weak acknowledgement of the limitation to their gun laws.
This also shows the lack of knowledge of the persons answering the phones or replying to information web pages. One of the many reasons never ask lower level law enforcement people if it is ok to have a gun as the automatic answer is no without any knowledge of what the actual law is.

13.36.020 Prohibitions
(A) The following are prohibited within any City park, recreational facility or public plaza, including any parking area that serves the park, facility or plaza: (1) Glass beverage containers;
(2) Remote control airplanes;
(3) Remote control boats, except that battery-powered remote control boats may be used in any area that has been designated and posted to allow that activity;
(4) Camping or lodging, except as otherwise permitted pursuant to Subsection (C);
(5) Fires, except in barbecue facilities established in a park for that purpose;
(7) The hitting of golf balls, except at facilities specifically designed for that activity;
(8) The use of park amenities for other than their intended uses, including without limitation washing clothes, bathing or showering (except in connection with the use of a swimming pool); and
(9) The driving or parking of vehicles in areas other than those established for such use, or in a manner that violates any applicable law or ordinance pertaining to moving and non-moving violations.

(B) Smoking in any form is prohibited at any of the following locations within a park: (1) In or upon any area that has been designated and posted as a children's play area, or within fifty feet of any such area;
(2) Upon or within fifty feet of any bleachers that are being occupied for purposes of observing sporting events or recreational activities; and
(3) In or upon any sports field or within fifty feet of the sideline, perimeter fence, or other outer boundary or perimeter of a sports field that is marked as such.

(C) On a case-by-case basis, the Director may permit overnight camping activities within a park or recreational facility if those activities are sponsored by the City or by a duly-recognized nonprofit youth development organization.
(D) The prohibition set forth in Paragraph (6) of Subsection (A) shall not apply to: (1) Activities specifically approved under this Chapter in connection with a particular event;
(2) The possession of firearms that is otherwise permitted by State law; or
(3) The possession of a concealed weapon by a person who holds a valid permit to do so that has been issued under, or is recognized pursuant to, the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369.

Last edited: