• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol purchase permits, but no conceal carry permit

nikogto

I guess I'm SOL for ever getting a CCW permit anywhere. OC it is when I need protection and CC on my property or business. :mad:

WalkingWolf

I guess I'm SOL for ever getting a CCW permit anywhere. OC it is when I need protection and CC on my property or business. :mad:

YOU really, really, really need to consult a lawyer! You may be treading on thin ice with concern to federal laws. If your conviction is considered DV conviction you are not allowed to possess firearms by federal law. If you are investigated by the feds for some reason you may find yourself charged with a felony. As much as it sucks you should limit yourself to non firearms for carry until you have clearance from an attorney. If your wife is not disabled to posses a firearm, then have her carry. Until then stick with a knife, or even a antique revolver(cap and ball) or find out the hard way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gun laws are designed to prevent/restrict only those who would otherwise bring harm to others or themselves. Criminals or those intent on criminal action are stopped by gun laws, right?

Application in your case would seem to be an over reach. Best advice - seek the counsel of a good gun rights attorney.

Last edited:

nikogto

Waiting for a good "gun rights" attorney to call me back, meantime I've been reading a lot online. I know by what I'm reading, that if you loose your civil rights, you can not have or own a gun. I would think that you'd know if your civil rights were taken, right? Would it mean that you did prison time? Or they would tell you in court?

nikogto

Guess I'm marked a criminal for life, spoke with an lawyer today and said that that can not be expunged unless they change the laws on expunctions, which they do add things over time. So I'm legal to own and open carry, but no conceal. :mad:

WalkingWolf

Guess I'm marked a criminal for life, spoke with an lawyer today and said that that can not be expunged unless they change the laws on expunctions, which they do add things over time. So I'm legal to own and open carry, but no conceal. :mad:

And that is why conceal carry is not a right. If it was they would not be able to deny you your right.

WalkingWolf

How does your post relate to those felons, mentally ill, blind, under 21, etc. who want to open carry? Does that mean open carry is not a right?

All of the above can open carry, they just cannot open carry a firearm. Which is IMO an infringement, but none the less in NC at least a felon can OC a knife if they so chose.

Not sure how it would go over, but unless a recent law was passed a felon can OC an antique firearm. There was a change proposed in 2013, not sure if it passed.

Last edited:

American Patriot

All of the above can open carry, they just cannot open carry a firearm. Which is IMO an infringement, but none the less in NC at least a felon can OC a knife if they so chose.

Not sure how it would go over, but unless a recent law was passed a felon can OC an antique firearm. There was a change proposed in 2013, not sure if it passed.

Actually both OP and CC are "shall issue" unless there are some "legal exemptions" preventing such. Open carry has to comply with federal law a well as state PPP while CC has comply with both of those plus CC regulations. Neither mode is without some regulations and exemptions determining who is legally able to own and carry..

bc.cruiser

It didn't.

WalkingWolf

Actually both OP and CC are "shall issue" unless there are some "legal exemptions" preventing such. Open carry has to comply with federal law a well as state PPP while CC has comply with both of those plus CC regulations. Neither mode is without some regulations and exemptions determining who is legally able to own and carry..

No permit or PPP or CHP is required to OC! OC of black powder antique revolvers is virtually unregulated in the state. And mostly by the feds, that is the feds safety valve for a fight on the grounds of not allowing carry/infringing. While it is unfair, wrong, unconstitutional to infringe any rights the right federally is there for all that are free as long as they are willing to jump through the hoops.

Some states go a step further and classify antique firearms as firearms, like Illinois, but even that state does not interfere with the right to OC a fixed blade knife.

The bulk of court cases have ruled that CC is a privilege and OC is the recognized right. IMO the right to conceal is protected in those enumerated rights, but it is not protected by the 2A. IMO conceal carry falls into the right to privacy, same as Roe V Wade. And our brethren fail to seize an opportunity. Fighting for the right to permission has mostly been a flop.

WalkingWolf

It didn't.

Thank you, I didn't think it did, I know there was a hard push behind the scenes for it. Media would not report on it for fear that people would find out they can carry without hassle, even in those infamous GFSZA places. That is right IT IS legal to OC a loaded 1858 Remy in a Gun Free Safety Zone, though the police, prosecutor, judge, and possibly the jury will do all they can to ignore there is no law against it.