Thread: Can a Georgia Weapons License Holder Carry in Virginia?

Can a Georgia Weapons License Holder Carry in Virginia?

I don't know if anybody had posted this question here before, but can an out of state permit holder open carry in the Commonwealth of Virginia considering that I have a Georgia Weapons License which the State of Virginia doesn't recognize?

Edit:

Sorry I misunderstood the OP question. Better reply below.
    Last edited by wittmeba; 01-23-2015 at 12:19 PM.
    I was born in Great Falls, Mt. My parents moved when I was 5. I found them when I was 9. They were in California.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Manjoe View Post
    I don't know if anybody had posted this question here before, but can an out of state permit holder open carry in the Commonwealth of Virginia considering that I have a Georgia Weapons License which the State of Virginia doesn't recognize?
    The Commonwealth of Virginia does not regulate the open carry of a handgun. No permit or license is required. When you cross over the state line into the Commonwealth, you are free to openly carry a firearm (assuming you are not a "prohibited person," e.g., a felon). Although you did not ask, concealed carry requires a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) or a currently valid permit or license from a state which is recognized by the Commonwealth.

Even though there is state pre-emption concerning firearms laws, there are several jurisdictions that regulate certain aspects of firearms carry, including a limitation on magazine capacity. See http://vcdl.org/CarryInfo for more complete information.

This forum, OCDO, is a strong advocate of the open carry of a properly holstered handgun, and there are many members on this forum who "walk the walk" in their daily lives in every part of the Commonwealth.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 01-23-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    A Georgia permit is not recognized in Virginia.
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

As mentioned, open carry is the preferred method for many - problem solved
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Welcome to OCDO.

Since you are asking about Open Carry, pay no attention to most of the responses. JamesCanby probably settled your question.

Let us know in advance when and where you will be in Virginia. We may be able to set up a meet&greet.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Yes...welcome to the land of the free!

BTW Proshooter, I followed you downtown while going to the General Assembly. Tried t wave but you weren't watching your rear.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

BTW Proshooter, I followed you downtown while going to the General Assembly. Tried t wave but you weren't watching your rear.

I never thought you went that way. Do you have any pictures of ProShooter's rear? 'Cause we know of some other photos you took of some other folks' rears.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Was that Friday? I was going to DCJS.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Was that Friday? I was going to DCJS.
    DCJS ???

You have my deepest sympathy. Once a year is about all I can tolerate those people.

;>)

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    DCJS ???

You have my deepest sympathy. Once a year is about all I can tolerate those people.

;>)
    I had to go down there for work (new job). I've been down there twice now and they've been great.....just don't try to get them on the phone.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

I had to go down there for work (new job). I've been down there twice now and they've been great.....just don't try to get them on the phone.
    That's silly. It hasn't been that long ago exLEO's didn't need their blessing. Best of luck with the new job.

That's silly. It hasn't been that long ago exLEO's didn't need their blessing. Best of luck with the new job.
    Thank you!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Thank you!
    ???
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    ???
    I should have said second job Grape.

What? I didn't get the memo! New job? What's up wit' dat?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat

what he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    The Commonwealth of Virginia does not regulate the open carry of a handgun. No permit or license is required. When you cross over the state line into the Commonwealth, you are free to openly carry a firearm (assuming you are not a "prohibited person," e.g., a felon). Although you did not ask, concealed carry requires a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) or a currently valid permit or license from a state which is recognized by the Commonwealth.

Even though there is state pre-emption concerning firearms laws, there are several jurisdictions that regulate certain aspects of firearms carry, including a limitation on magazine capacity. See http://vcdl.org/CarryInfo for more complete information.

This forum, OCDO, is a strong advocate of the open carry of a properly holstered handgun, and there are many members on this forum who "walk the walk" in their daily lives in every part of the Commonwealth.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.