• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a Georgia Weapons License Holder Carry in Virginia?

Manjoe

I don't know if anybody had posted this question here before, but can an out of state permit holder open carry in the Commonwealth of Virginia considering that I have a Georgia Weapons License which the State of Virginia doesn't recognize?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I don't know if anybody had posted this question here before, but can an out of state permit holder open carry in the Commonwealth of Virginia considering that I have a Georgia Weapons License which the State of Virginia doesn't recognize?

The Commonwealth of Virginia does not regulate the open carry of a handgun. No permit or license is required. When you cross over the state line into the Commonwealth, you are free to openly carry a firearm (assuming you are not a "prohibited person," e.g., a felon). Although you did not ask, concealed carry requires a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) or a currently valid permit or license from a state which is recognized by the Commonwealth.

Even though there is state pre-emption concerning firearms laws, there are several jurisdictions that regulate certain aspects of firearms carry, including a limitation on magazine capacity. See http://vcdl.org/CarryInfo for more complete information.

This forum, OCDO, is a strong advocate of the open carry of a properly holstered handgun, and there are many members on this forum who "walk the walk" in their daily lives in every part of the Commonwealth.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Since you are asking about Open Carry, pay no attention to most of the responses. JamesCanby probably settled your question.

Let us know in advance when and where you will be in Virginia. We may be able to set up a meet&greet.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yes...welcome to the land of the free!

BTW Proshooter, I followed you downtown while going to the General Assembly. Tried t wave but you weren't watching your rear.:lol::lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yes...welcome to the land of the free!

BTW Proshooter, I followed you downtown while going to the General Assembly. Tried t wave but you weren't watching your rear.:lol::lol:

I never thought you went that way.:p Do you have any pictures of ProShooter's rear? 'Cause we know of some other photos you took of some other folks' rears.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I had to go down there for work (new job). I've been down there twice now and they've been great.....just don't try to get them on the phone.

That's silly. It hasn't been that long ago exLEO's didn't need their blessing. Best of luck with the new job.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat

what he said:
The Commonwealth of Virginia does not regulate the open carry of a handgun. No permit or license is required. When you cross over the state line into the Commonwealth, you are free to openly carry a firearm (assuming you are not a "prohibited person," e.g., a felon). Although you did not ask, concealed carry requires a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) or a currently valid permit or license from a state which is recognized by the Commonwealth.

Even though there is state pre-emption concerning firearms laws, there are several jurisdictions that regulate certain aspects of firearms carry, including a limitation on magazine capacity. See http://vcdl.org/CarryInfo for more complete information.

This forum, OCDO, is a strong advocate of the open carry of a properly holstered handgun, and there are many members on this forum who "walk the walk" in their daily lives in every part of the Commonwealth.