• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun bills are being dumped before the 3:00 deadline

Repeater

HB2328 - A true 'Gun Grabber' bill

The hatred comes out this session:

HB 2328 Protective orders; surrender of firearms; penalty.
Provides that a person who is subject to a protective order must surrender any firearm possessed by him to the court within 24 hours of being served with the protective order. The court shall prepare a written receipt, which shall be signed by the person surrendering the firearm, containing the name of the person, the date on which it was surrendered, and the manufacturer, model, and serial number of the firearm and provide a copy of the receipt to the court. The bill provides further that the person may present the copy of the receipt to the court upon the expiration of the protective order and the court shall then return the firearm. The failure to surrender a firearm is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. The bill also prohibits a person who is subject to a protective order from possessing a firearm, where currently such person is only prohibited from purchasing or transporting a firearm.

Obey. Or else.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've bee at the GA all day TFred, waiting for the anti Right to Retrieve bill was introduced. All these were saved for 11th hour filing and were still coming in up til the 3:00 deadline.

And YES.....There is a bill to stop the Right To Retrieve which means Kirby might be too busy to tell Philip how to lobby. :banana:

TFred

I've bee at the GA all day TFred, waiting for the anti Right to Retrieve bill was introduced. All these were saved for 11th hour filing and were still coming in up til the 3:00 deadline.

And YES.....There is a bill to stop the Right To Retrieve which means Kirby might be too busy to tell Philip how to lobby. :banana:
I noticed that one! :)

HB 2345 Retrieval of hunting dogs, etc.

Retrieval of hunting dogs, etc.
Requires hunters to receive permission from a landowner to retrieve hunting dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls from the landowner's property

TFred

ETA: Interesting that the bill has a disarm provision which applies to hunters of all other game besides fox and raccoons.

"...shall not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon..."

If they are on foot, where are they supposed to store their firearm while they are retrieving their dogs, etc?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I noticed that one! :)

"...shall not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon..."

If they are on foot, where are they supposed to store their firearm while they are retrieving their dogs, etc?

In this world there are two kinds of problems TFred. Mine and everything else.

That falls in category two. If they can't live with it they can keep their damn dogs and themselves the hell off of my land.

That has been the law for years BTW. Taking a vehicle or weapon to get their dogs is simple trespass.

TFred

In this world there are two kinds of problems TFred. Mine and everything else.

That falls in category two. If they can't live with it they can keep their damn dogs and themselves the hell off of my land.

That has been the law for years BTW. Taking a vehicle or weapon to get their dogs is simple trespass.
I guess that does make for a fairly well-defined line between using dog retrieval as an excuse to hunt on your land, and actually just retrieving their dogs.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I guess that does make for a fairly well-defined line between using dog retrieval as an excuse to hunt on your land, and actually just retrieving their dogs.

TFred

It is without any question, the most abused hunting law in recent history.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'd set some bear traps or at least add such a warning to the no trespassing signs.

And you would go to jail if anybody stepped on one or even if a LEO or Game Warden saw your sign.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/bear.asp

Want to store your guns while you retrieve your dogs? I charge $50/minute. If that's too much, there is a ditch there along the right of way. Drop them in there, cover them with some mud and leaves and hope nobody sees you doing that.

peter nap is correct - there are only two types of problems: mine and everything else. But I'm such a kind-hearted soul, always looking to help the unfortunate, that I will offer suggestions to those that cannot figure out how to solve their own darned problems. Maybe not the best suggestions, but any suggestion is better than having no idea at all. :uhoh:

stay safe.

Last edited:

The Truth

Glad to see an anti- Right To Retrieve bill up there. At least someone has some common sense...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I don't see any prohibition on trapping. Have a better link?

This is one of those situations where if there are no Fish & Game Commission regs on doing it, it is not allowed. No season so "No". No limit so "No". And how are you going to control for sows with cubs, let alone for cubs?

And if you are not trapping bears, then you probably have set a mantrap. Look that one up (use spring gun as your search keyword) and see how that's going to go for you.

stay safe.

builtjeep

This is one of those situations where if there are no Fish & Game Commission regs on doing it, it is not allowed. No season so "No". No limit so "No". And how are you going to control for sows with cubs, let alone for cubs?

And if you are not trapping bears, then you probably have set a mantrap. Look that one up (use spring gun as your search keyword) and see how that's going to go for you.

stay safe.

Some of THESE along with simulators would be harmless but still make the tresspasser easy to pick out.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Some of THESE along with simulators would be harmless but still make the tresspasser easy to pick out.

So apparently you did not take up my suggestion to see what the law might have to say on the whole matter.

Let's try again, but this time add "brandishing" just because it adds the element of "look like".

Sadly (or not) I'll only be able to visit you once every couple of weekends due to the new visitation schedule:

Saturday weekend #1 A-H in AM, I-M in PM (you are a "B" and I do not do mornings)
Sunday weekend #1 N-R in AM, S-Z in PM

Saturday weekend #2 S-Z in AM, A-H in PM (visiting)
Sunday weekend #2 I-M in AM, N-R in PM

Saturday weekend #3 N-R in AM, S-Z in PM
Sunday weekend #3 A-H in AM, I-M in PM (I still do not do mornings)

Saturday weekend #4 I-M in AM, N-R in PM
Sunday weekend #4 S-Z in AM, A-H in PM (visiting)

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
back to the topic at hand (I know - how amusing)

We're making the national news
http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ntrol-defeated-lifetime-ccws-get-green-light/
On Monday, Virginia’s Republican-controlled Senate Courts of Justice panel rejected Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s (D) plan for limiting handgun purchases to one a month and placing new regulations on gun shows. They also expanded the exercise of gun rights by voting “to allow gun owners to obtain a lifetime concealed carry permit.”

On December 15 Breitbart News reported McAuliffe’s gun control proposals not only included limits on how often a gun could be purchased and a closure of the so-called “gun show loophole,” but new limits on the way gun show venders could advertise their products. The controls also would have allowed the state to revoke concealed carry permits for persons who were delinquent on child support.
and
http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...-proposes-one-handgun-a-month-purchase-limit/
According to the Associated Press, McAuliffe wants to bar private gun sales at gun shows and clarify the information gun show vendors can use in advertising their products. He wants to allow CCWs to be revoked for persons “delinquent on child support payments” and argues that a one-handgun-a-month purchase limit will cut down on gun trafficking and stockpiling.

He also wants to “prohibit the possession of firearms for persons subject to protective orders” and “prohibit the possession of firearms for misdemeanor domestic violence offenders.”

Because having state laws that are different than federal laws will make it just that much illegaler and we can slap an additional prison sentence on without worrying about that pesky double jeopardy thing.

Look for the new signs at the Welcome Centers - "Welcome to Virginia - the Clown State".

stay safe.

builtjeep

So apparently you did not take up my suggestion to see what the law might have to say on the whole matter.

Let's try again, but this time add "brandishing" just because it adds the element of "look like".

Sadly (or not) I'll only be able to visit you once every couple of weekends due to the new visitation schedule:

Saturday weekend #1 A-H in AM, I-M in PM (you are a "B" and I do not do mornings)
Sunday weekend #1 N-R in AM, S-Z in PM

Saturday weekend #2 S-Z in AM, A-H in PM (visiting)
Sunday weekend #2 I-M in AM, N-R in PM

Saturday weekend #3 N-R in AM, S-Z in PM
Sunday weekend #3 A-H in AM, I-M in PM (I still do not do mornings)

Saturday weekend #4 I-M in AM, N-R in PM
Sunday weekend #4 S-Z in AM, A-H in PM (visiting)

stay safe.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-281
"It shall be unlawful for any person to set or fix in any manner any firearm or other deadly weapon so that it may be discharged or activated by a person coming in contact therewith or with any string, wire, spring, or any other contrivance attached thereto or designed to activate such weapon remotely. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony."

What I linked to sprays a paint mist, and makes a noise. Neither of those are a firearm or deadly weapon.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-281
"It shall be unlawful for any person to set or fix in any manner any firearm or other deadly weapon so that it may be discharged or activated by a person coming in contact therewith or with any string, wire, spring, or any other contrivance attached thereto or designed to activate such weapon remotely. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony."

What I linked to sprays a paint mist, and makes a noise. Neither of those are a firearm or deadly weapon.

The only man's opinion that matters is that of the judge. And his is mostly made up by previous case law. And previous case law pretty much says that if it looks like a deadly weapon (a mine in this case) and is set off my a trip wire or other trip mechanism it is a deadly weapon.

You don't get in trouble using them in paintball games because people there pretty much do not file criminal complaints about other people shooting paintballs at them. Piss off some dog hunter that's already unhappy with you making him obey those pesky and stupid laws and guess what they will do.

There are other products out there that do essentially the same thing - often with permanent marker - that do not run afoul of statute and case law. It comes in UV-only or natural light visible http://www.defensedevices.com/thief-detection-powder-uv-invisible.html

stay safe.