Thread: Senate constitutional carry bill filed

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

Senate constitutional carry bill filed

The Senate constitutional carry bill has been given number SB342. Can't read the text online yet but when it is available it will be available at the following link:
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...84R&Bill=SB342

This is a companion bill to HB195 which is the constitutional carry bill in the House.

This Senate bill contains a couple of "extras" that HB195 does not have
    Advocate freedom please

State Researcher
    I wish you all the best with these bills.

A little progress every year and pretty soon things are a lot better.

And every time one State makes some progress, it makes it that much easier for another State to follow that same, good path.

Charles
    Last edited by utbagpiper; 01-23-2015 at 03:21 PM.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Banned
    A ?: wouldn't constitutional carry require a constitutional amendment as opposed to just being a statue...

Its a question folks...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    A ?: wouldn't constitutional carry require a constitutional amendment as opposed to just being a statue...

Its a question folks...
    Constitutional carry is kind of a loose term these days IMO. What it technically means is kind of to be determined IMO.

In my opinion constitutional carry should simply mean that the laws are consistent with the constitution in that a person can carry a firearm openly or concealed without a permit. So constitutional carry imo refers to consistency with the constitution, not something actually within the constitution.

We also have a resolution introduced, though, to put a constitutional amendment on the ballot to strike the text from section 23 of article one of the Texas constitution stating that the legislature shall have the power to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime
    Advocate freedom please

Stickland (sponsor of HB195) was on WBAP tonite on the Chris Crok show. Crok was taking the side that OC w/o state required gun safety training was irresponsible. Call screener argued that OK required it - told him that GA example s/b discussed, as well as all states w Constitutional carry - no massive numbers of injuries from 'untrained' OCers. Screener hung up on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Well I didn't see any difference between the house bill and the senate bill. Maybe I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Well I didn't see any difference between the house bill and the senate bill. Maybe I missed something?
    That would be a good thing then no need to go back and revise things just send to the governor.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Just what I was told. I'll pull them up side by side and see what's different
    Advocate freedom please

I haven't been able to do a thorough analysis/comparison between the two but I believe there are most definitely noteworthy differences. For one, it looks as though SB342 drops trespass by license holder, which would afterward be trespass by person in possession of handgun, from a class A misdemeanor to a class C, which is a very appropriate/good change.
    Advocate freedom please

Trespass by a license holder is virtually nonapplicable under HB195 since PC 30.06 is limited to a person carrying under the authority of the license. As such, you could, in theory, walk right passed a 30.06 post HB195. SB352 changes 30.06 from license holder to person in possession, so it will apply to anyone carrying. However, the offense is lowered and it also requires verbal warning as well by changing the "or" to an "and."

Two different methods, same outcome I feel.

Oh and one thing that HB195 does that SB342 does not is adds correctional facilities to the same list of quasi prohibited places like churches.
    Last edited by Jack House; 01-25-2015 at 04:13 AM.

Hmmmm

Still will not allow you to carry or possess a "HANDGUN" on your own property, if you decide to have a few beers.
    Last edited by zekester; 01-25-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zekester View Post
    Still will not allow you to carry or possess a "HANDGUN" on your own property, if you decide to have a few beers.
    Only if you decide to have a lot of beers? lol

Really, [OH] consumption does not affect your rights....

There is a whole thread on that subject, feel free to post in it if there's anything to add to that discussion.
    Advocate freedom please

I used to worry about such things

Quote Originally Posted by zekester View Post
    I used to be preoccupied with such things. I now count Bill W amongst my friends. It has been blissful over the last 13 years not having to worry about that. You should get to know him too.

http://www.aa.org/

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar

Congratulations Texans!

I hope Constitutional Carry becomes law in Texas.

I pray Idaho will be next.
    "Nullification is the rightful remedy" Thomas Jefferson
    http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter...-preservation/

"Constitutional Carry is not an oxymoron"
    A Sovereign

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Thomas Jefferson