• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate constitutional carry bill filed

stealthyeliminator

The Senate constitutional carry bill has been given number SB342. Can't read the text online yet but when it is available it will be available at the following link:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=SB342

This is a companion bill to HB195 which is the constitutional carry bill in the House.

This Senate bill contains a couple of "extras" that HB195 does not have :)

utbagpiper

Banned
I wish you all the best with these bills.

A little progress every year and pretty soon things are a lot better.

And every time one State makes some progress, it makes it that much easier for another State to follow that same, good path.

Charles

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
A ?: wouldn't constitutional carry require a constitutional amendment as opposed to just being a statue...

Its a question folks...

stealthyeliminator

A ?: wouldn't constitutional carry require a constitutional amendment as opposed to just being a statue...

Its a question folks...

Constitutional carry is kind of a loose term these days IMO. What it technically means is kind of to be determined IMO.

In my opinion constitutional carry should simply mean that the laws are consistent with the constitution in that a person can carry a firearm openly or concealed without a permit. So constitutional carry imo refers to consistency with the constitution, not something actually within the constitution.

We also have a resolution introduced, though, to put a constitutional amendment on the ballot to strike the text from section 23 of article one of the Texas constitution stating that the legislature shall have the power to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime

HPmatt

Stickland (sponsor of HB195) was on WBAP tonite on the Chris Crok show. Crok was taking the side that OC w/o state required gun safety training was irresponsible. Call screener argued that OK required it - told him that GA example s/b discussed, as well as all states w Constitutional carry - no massive numbers of injuries from 'untrained' OCers. Screener hung up on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack House

Well I didn't see any difference between the house bill and the senate bill. Maybe I missed something?

stealthyeliminator

I haven't been able to do a thorough analysis/comparison between the two but I believe there are most definitely noteworthy differences. For one, it looks as though SB342 drops trespass by license holder, which would afterward be trespass by person in possession of handgun, from a class A misdemeanor to a class C, which is a very appropriate/good change.

Jack House

Trespass by a license holder is virtually nonapplicable under HB195 since PC 30.06 is limited to a person carrying under the authority of the license. As such, you could, in theory, walk right passed a 30.06 post HB195. SB352 changes 30.06 from license holder to person in possession, so it will apply to anyone carrying. However, the offense is lowered and it also requires verbal warning as well by changing the "or" to an "and."

Two different methods, same outcome I feel.

Oh and one thing that HB195 does that SB342 does not is adds correctional facilities to the same list of quasi prohibited places like churches.

Last edited:

zekester

Hmmmm

Still will not allow you to carry or possess a "HANDGUN" on your own property, if you decide to have a few beers.

Last edited:

half_life1052

I used to worry about such things

Still will not allow you to carry or possess a "HANDGUN" on your own property, if you decide to have a few beers.

I used to be preoccupied with such things. I now count Bill W amongst my friends. It has been blissful over the last 13 years not having to worry about that. You should get to know him too.

http://www.aa.org/