• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Officials who resist transparency.

RogueReflections

I received an email from Andrew Logerwell (House Counsel, Washington State House of Representatives) regarding a Freedom of Information/Public Disclosure request I filed. The request was regarding the video footage, captured by the cameras at the Washington State Capital, House of Representatives Chamber, January 15th, 2015, during an open carry rally. Mr. Logerwell advised me to call him for some reason. I did so, but informed him I was recording the call, pursuant to Revised Code of Washington. Mr. Logerwell told me he did not want to be recorded and advised me to call back when I was not recording. I informed him that I needed to record such calls and could not do that. He hung up on me. LOL.
I guess certain government officials do not want to be held accountable or transparent to the public who pays their salaries. Now I am curious if my Freedom of Information/Public Disclosure request will be honored, as stated in state law.
Mr. Logerwell's official email is: Andrew.Logerwell@leg.wa.gov
Mr. Logerwell's official number he told me to contact him at is: (360) 786-7767

Whitney

Isnt Techknowlegy Great.

I received an email from Andrew Logerwell (House Counsel, Washington State House of Representatives) regarding a Freedom of Information/Public Disclosure request I filed. The request was regarding the video footage, captured by the cameras at the Washington State Capital, House of Representatives Chamber, January 15th, 2015, during an open carry rally. Mr. Logerwell advised me to call him for some reason. I did so, but informed him I was recording the call, pursuant to Revised Code of Washington. Mr. Logerwell told me he did not want to be recorded and advised me to call back when I was not recording. I informed him that I needed to record such calls and could not do that. He hung up on me. LOL.
I guess certain government officials do not want to be held accountable or transparent to the public who pays their salaries. Now I am curious if my Freedom of Information/Public Disclosure request will be honored, as stated in state law.

Email sent; Don't dork me on the title it was on purpose.:)

~Whitney

davidmcbeth

Banned
I see no problem with the objection to being recorded.

Want to investigate the guy further? Ask for his/his aide(s) outlook/gmail/etc calendars for the past 2 years and emails (just ask for emails with the word "meet" in them/title of email).

then see all the secret meetings that he and others had. your head will explode.

Dave_pro2a

I see no problem with the objection to being recorded.

Want to investigate the guy further? Ask for his/his aide(s) outlook/gmail/etc calendars for the past 2 years and emails (just ask for emails with the word "meet" in them/title of email).

then see all the secret meetings that he and others had. your head will explode.

Hmm, could you ask for all emails with "Re:" in the title?

Dave_pro2a

"meet" .... in title ... or body ... limit it to the time in session for one session (you may get thousands of emails!)

"Re:" would yield every response he made to someone, or any response someone made to him.

Hard to go wider than that, if it counted as a word.

RogueReflections

Regarding my requst.

My request was pretty simple. I simply wanted the footage from the House of Reps. I was at the OC rally that day, but missed what happened in the chamber. It is public property and I requested it. I was told to make a call, which is not part of the public disclosure process. I made the call, but said I was recording, and was subsequently shut down. Public records requests are written as an easy process, until one tries requesting them.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
...... Mr. Logerwell told me he did not want to be recorded and advised me to call back when I was not recording. I informed him that I needed to record such calls and could not do that. He hung up on me. LOL.

No worries. Now ask for a public meeting and a bunch of us can show up. He may not want to be recorded, but he still has to do his bloody job.

Jeff Hayes

Mr. Logerwell advised me to call him for some reason. I did so, but informed him I was recording the call, pursuant to Revised Code of Washington. Mr. Logerwell told me he did not want to be recorded and advised me to call back when I was not recording.

I am not sure Mr. Logerwell has the option of objecting to your recording him when he is acting in an official capacity. The city street worker ceartainly does not, Cops do not, nor does the Mayor or any other government official.

Flame away, LOL

davidmcbeth

Banned
Mr. Logerwell advised me to call him for some reason. I did so, but informed him I was recording the call, pursuant to Revised Code of Washington. Mr. Logerwell told me he did not want to be recorded and advised me to call back when I was not recording.

I am not sure Mr. Logerwell has the option of objecting to your recording him when he is acting in an official capacity. The city street worker ceartainly does not, Cops do not, nor does the Mayor or any other government official.

Flame away, LOL

Ask for a meeting .. then you avoid telephonic taping laws.

RogueReflections

Asking for a meeting..

Asking for a meeting is a good idea and I see the value in it. I really don't want to drive all the way back to Olympia for a simple records request to be emailed to me. I was already there and Alden Morris and I asked, in person, at the correct office. We were told to email instead. I emailed, as was asked to call. I called and was told I could not record. This is a dance that the government is trying to do. I will be producing the final video soon.

davidmcbeth

Banned
No one said record requesting was easy.

here's part of a recent reply to a few requests I made that I got no response to, and I noted to them recently that I considered the non-answers to be = to tampering with evidence...then they start agreeing to cough up records...to avoid arrest.

In my state, discovery and FOIA are separate and both can produce evidence. I don't need to play the discovery game. Because I will take action upon tampering...conspiracy to tamper is a civil cause of action...so its a great place to pound officials on.

Of course, the email part pictured here is game playing as I filed two distinctly different requests...now they claim stupidity.

Oh,in CT you can file a request to inspect records via voice mail, directly to a person, via email, letter, almost anything. So if one does not want to listen to a person say "you gotta do this, you gotta do that" -- just leave the person/agency a voice mail.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
My request was denied for "security" purposes.
I will be producing a video on this fiasco shortly.

Security Exception RCW 42.56.420: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=42.56.420

Review process RCW 42.56.530: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=42.56.530

RCW 42.56.530 said:
Whenever a state agency concludes that a public record is exempt from disclosure and denies a person opportunity to inspect or copy a public record for that reason, the person may request the attorney general to review the matter. The attorney general shall provide the person with his or her written opinion on whether the record is exempt.

Nothing in this section shall be deemed to establish an attorney-client relationship between the attorney general and a person making a request under this section.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
My request was denied for "security" purposes.
I will be producing a video on this fiasco shortly.

They claiming that providing it would disclose the location of cameras?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=42.56.420

I don't see it ... being an exempted record under "security"

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=42.56.550

Free to file an admin complaint -- a de novo complaint... I would not bother with the AG's office

Hey, they answered you pretty quick .. 1 good thing.

I really do not see the house chambers video being exempt

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just a note for OP: they likely denied you access, where the statue of limitiations start, on the day after you filed your request. So that's when the clocks starts ticking for your date needed to file any appeal.

So if you filed on 10 JAN 15 (for example) the 11th is the first day of denial and the clock has begun ticking.

You can always simply re-request the same records and re-start the clock.