• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news coming out of the VA Senate.. SR948

MNMGoneShooting

This is certainly good news for those of us that hold a permit. I was challenged by a MD trooper at the Harry Nice Bridge last year because of this.

Stuart bill limits access to gun permit data in Virginia

RICHMOND — The state Senate has passed a bill that would prohibit certain out-of-state police agencies from accessing information regarding concealed-weapon permits issued by the commonwealth of Virginia.

The bill sponsored by Sen. Richard Stuart, R–Stafford, passed Thursday by a vote of 24–16 and now advances to the House of Delegates.
It would affect states that do not have reciprocal agreements with Virginia regarding carrying concealed weapons. Maryland is such a state: It does not recognize concealed-weapon permits issued in Virginia.

Under SB 948, these states would not be able to access concealed-weapon permit data from the Virginia Criminal Information Network.
The bill comes after gun owners in Virginia and other states expressed concerns about being targeted by Maryland State Police. “It can easily be resolved if Maryland would just acknowledge our citizens’ permits,” Stuart said.

Addressing his colleagues, Stuart described an incident that occurred in Maryland on New Year’s Eve of 2013. According to news reports, Maryland police pulled over Florida resident John Filippidis on Interstate 95, ostensibly for speeding. An officer then approached the vehicle and allegedly told Filippidis, “You own a gun. Where is it?”
Filippidis did indeed own a handgun—he had a concealed-carry permit from Florida. At the time, he had the weapon locked in a safe at home. The only way Maryland police could have known about the gun was by accessing the database of Florida’s concealed-weapon permits, according to Filippidis and other Second Amendment rights activists.
The traffic stop on I–95 lasted for at least 90 minutes while police searched Filippidis’ vehicle. After failing to find a gun, officers issued Filippidis a warning for speeding. Filippidis, who was traveling with his family, said he was humiliated by the ordeal—and the incident made national news.

“I can tell you that as a result of living on the eastern side of Virginia bordering Maryland, I have clients that have been through similar experiences,” said Stuart, a lawyer.
“And actually in Maryland, if you are stopped and you have a concealed weapon and you have a Virginia permit, they’ll arrest you. And they hold you without bond until you can get before a judge to get bond.”

Like Virginia, Maryland has a circuit court system, Stuart said, and some localities don’t have a judge hearing cases every day. A Virginia resident could be held in jail for three days before being able to see a judge, Stuart said. “The point of this bill is not to let state police agencies get this information from the Virginia Criminal Information Network and then use it against Virginia citizens who otherwise are not breaking any laws whatsoever,” he said.

Stuart said Virginia State Police can filter the network and allow out-of-state agencies to access some information but not data on concealed-weapon permits.

All 21 Republican senators and three Democratic senators voted for SB 948. Sixteen senators, all of them Democrats, voted against it.

SENATORS VOTES
YES: Black, Carrico, Chafin, Colgan, Cosgrove, Edwards, Garrett, Hanger, Lewis, Martin, McDougle, McWaters, Newman, Norment, Obenshain, Reeves, Ruff, Smith, Stanley, Stosch, Stuart, Vogel, Wagner, Watkins.
NO: Alexander, Barker, Dance, Deeds, Ebbin, Favola, Howell, Locke,
Lucas, Marsden, McEachin, Miller, Petersen, Puller, Saslaw, Wexton.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_5f5d0e20-57e6-5de2-a04a-ae3a7c16950d.html

TFred

Three votes short to override the guaranteed veto of McAuliffe. He loves the fact that Virginia CHP holders are harassed by out-of-state cops. Even if it somehow did get overridden, I have no confidence that this law would be obeyed. Remember, for these kinds of ilk, laws are for "other people."

TFred

MNMGoneShooting

Three votes short to override the guaranteed veto of McAuliffe. He loves the fact that Virginia CHP holders are harassed by out-of-state cops. Even if it somehow did get overridden, I have no confidence that this law would be obeyed. Remember, for these kinds of ilk, laws are for "other people."

TFred

Very true.

Hey TFred - side topic - that's the last post from Fred.com you'll see from me. Did you see that they started charging to use their website?? Desperate measures, I suppose.

TFred

Hey TFred - side topic - that's the last post from Fred.com you'll see from me. Did you see that they started charging to use their website?? Desperate measures, I suppose.
I am a weekend subscriber - for the TV guide and the Sunday coupons... so I don't have to pay extra to use the website. I'm sure you are aware that the new owners are still getting a feel for their newly-acquired newspaper, so they're trying to figure out how to make some money out of it. The editorial position does seem to have taken a bit of a left-hand shift since the new owners took over. For the most part, the local reporters are decent folks, some better, some worse. Their best reporter left a few months ago to go work for the Economic Development department in the city. He was a big loss to the community as far as news, but will be a great asset to the city for development - and helping to keep my taxes low! Some of the reporters are notorious, in that they consistently write stories that leave the reader asking more questions at the end than if they had never read the story to start! That takes real talent!

TFred

Last edited:

TFred

Maverick9

Not wanting to get my ire up, I'm not even going to read that link, but thanks for posting. It's a lot easier (and safer) to harass LAC than go after actual criminals is all I'll say.

wrearick

This bill is more important than ever. See this update on what "The Last Refuge's" investigation into the Filippidis case has dug out of the mire of governmental obfuscation.

McAuliffe will still never sign it... Are there three Senators who will change their vote in light of this new revelation?

TFred

WSJ Report: “U.S. Spies on Millions of Cars” – Aligns With Our 2013/2014 Maryland MCAC Hub Research…

related to the Filippidis case, I wonder how things would have played out if he had been transporting a firearm through the state in accordance with Maryland Law. On a recent trip to ******* I set up my route to avoid Maryland as much as possible but could not avoid a 3 mile stretch without adding an additional hour to my already modified route. I stopped before crossing the border, unloaded my firearm, loaded it in a bank bag, locked it and my ammunition in the truck box in the bed of the truck and drove across the 3 mile stretch of MD. Once on the other side I pulled over, retrieved my firearm, reloaded and resumed open carrying. As I was heading to ****** to go deer hunting I also had a hunting rifle in the vehicle, not accessible to me as the driver with the ammunition stored in the truck box. If I had been pulled over and asked these questions I think I would have refused to answer questions and repeatedly ask if I was free to go or that I wanted to contact my lawyer before answering any questions.