Thread: Don't forget to duck

Don't forget to duck

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ter_mailonline

Monday evening is set to see Earth's closet call with an asteroid until 2027.

The asteroid, designated 2004 BL86, will safely pass about three times the distance of Earth to the moon on January 26 - so close.

It will be the closest by any known space rock this large until asteroid 1999 AN10 flies past Earth in 2027.

Observers in the Americas, Europe, and Africa have the best seats for seeing this interloper during its brightest time: from 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Monday evening, January 26th, until about 1 a.m. EST on the 27th.

During this time 2004 BL86 will be heading northward through the dim constellation Cancer.

It skims the eastern edge of a star cluster called the Beehive (or Messier 44) from about midnight to 12:30 a.m. EST.

Astronomers say there is nothing to be concerned about. I'm going to wear a bicycle helmet Monday night, just in case.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Someone named a star cluster Beehive? lol. I'm not sure if that's lazy or clever.

I kind of like when stuff like this happens. I feel like it helps put things in perspective, shake off the daily bliss and oblivion.
    Advocate freedom please

What combination of features makes this rock news worthy above all the other space junk. It's a kilometer in diameter and missing by 1.2 x 10^6 kilometer. Today its brightness curve peaks.

I use FOSS Stellarium computer planetarium http://www.stellarium.org/
    that takes orbital element data from the Minor Planet Center
    http://www.minorplanetcenter.org/ and which has an graphic of about thirty close approaches in chronological order.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    will we be able to see it well without a telescope?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Banned
    I placed a large magnet in Wash DC ... right in the mall. Fingers crossed !

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    will we be able to see it well without a telescope?
    No.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.