Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New top Marine Corps general releases plan to shake up the service. WaPo

New top Marine Corps general releases plan to shake up the service. WaPo

The new top general in the Marine Corps released a 16-page plan on Friday detailing his vision for the service, emphasizing a realignment of troops to meet demands in the Pacific and Africa, better coordination with Special Operations units, and new psychological testing to assess resiliency in recruits.
    [ ... ]
    The service will focus heavily in 2015 and 2016 on preparing to fight from the sea in an “anti-access, area denial” environment, military-speak for an area in which enemies can contest U.S. troops reaching it with a variety of weapons. Fighting from the sea has long been considered a Marine Corps mission, but the service did much less of it as it deployed tens of thousands of troops at a time to Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/c...p-the-service/

Good reads on US defense policy from the article
    http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Portals/...5CPG_Color.pdf

https://www.usnwc.edu/Lucent/OpenPdf.aspx?id=95
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    When are the Marines just going to be eliminated with their members absorbed into the other services.

They have not stormed a beach in years.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    When are the Marines just going to be eliminated with their members absorbed into the other services.

I'd wager that more Soldiers than Marines have stormed beaches.

That said, the Marines have branched out quite a bit from their primary role in the Department of the Navy. All the services are so overlapped now, it's mostly just traditional titles that differentiate them.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Allow me to offer an illustration; when I first arrived in Ramadi Iraq the base was in the hands of the Marines. About the 6th week I was there the diaper heads attacked the main gate, our comm office was on the first floor of an old Saddam era barracks with Marines quartered on the second floor. At the sound of gunfire Marines were streaming down the ladder ways (stairs to you land lubbers) wearing their IBA over PT gear, helmets on their heads, boots and their M-4s with web belts of mag pouches headed for the sound of the guns, several yelling "Gonna get me some UHRAH!!!!".

The second year I was there the base was turned over to the Army 1st Armored Division, a few weeks after Odumbo announced the end of combat operations, the diaper heads again hit the front gate. The soldiers wandered out onto the balcony in their PT gear and shower shoes smoking cigarettes watching the tracers bounce around. I asked if they weren't going to get their M-4s and one replied "NAW; they get this far we're all done for anyway".

At one point while the Marines were in charge on one of the boards I'm on a guy posted that his army daughter just deployed to Iraq didn't have a single mag or a round of ammo for her M-4. I asked the Marines in the comm room if they had mags and ammo for the M-4s (most had 1 mag in a pouch on the buttstock but I couldn't tell if they were loaded). They all said "HELL YEA!" One said he had 6 loaded mags besides the one on the buttstock and more boxed ammo in in his foot locker. When the army took over the troops were all carrying weapons but nobody had a mag or round of ammo.

THAT is why we still need the Marines! It's a mind set, the difference between a doggy and a Devil Dog!

P.S.
    In Viet Nam on average there was a 2.7% casualty rate, the USMC lost the highest percentage of its own men (5%) which in turn accounted for 25.5% of all casualties while only being ~15% of forces. Marines are always given the toughest assignments, the hardest fights and the least resources, I use to say everything the Marines got was filtered through the Navy's kidneys first.
    Last edited by F350; 01-25-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Banned
    Talking about the Marines being a separate service ... not needed anymore. They [Marines themselves] can be absorbed into the Navy or Army or Air Force.

I think everyone has a story of how this group or that group performed well or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Battalion_9th_Marines

If interested in Vietnam stats.

The Marines are obsolete as its own service that was created for the purpose of storming and securing beaches (not a fun job). We don't do that anymore.

...The Marines are obsolete as its own service that was created for the purpose of storming and securing beaches...
    Not just looking at the history of America's armed forces, marines were primarily for the defense of the actual ships against boarders.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-25-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar

"Ooh-rah"

The Marine Corp will never be obsolete they just Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!

I feel safer knowing the Marine's are on watch!

Ooh-rah!
    "Nullification is the rightful remedy" Thomas Jefferson
    http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter...-preservation/

"Constitutional Carry is not an oxymoron"
    A Sovereign

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Thomas Jefferson

Presuming that the littoral doctrine will be retained, the Marines will continue to be viable if for no other reason that the Army would demand its own littoral toys, just like they did when there were "difficulties" with another branch of service providing adequate and timely logistical/transport support (yes, Air force, I'm looking at you).

I'd be happier if the Commandant made uttering "Ooh-Rah!" at least an Article 15 offense. "Semper Fi, Mac!" served as more than adequate for over 100 years (1883 - present) and it was easier to determine the message behind it.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'd be happier if the Commandant made uttering "Ooh-Rah!" at least an Article 15 offense. "Semper Fi, Mac!" served as more than adequate for over 100 years (1883 - present) and it was easier to determine the message behind it.
    "Ooh-rah" – A motivational cry that signifies Marines are ready and eager to accomplish the mission before them.

http://www.marines.com/history-heritage/traditions

Still want to ban free speech by those protecting it?
    "Nullification is the rightful remedy" Thomas Jefferson
    http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter...-preservation/

"Constitutional Carry is not an oxymoron"
    A Sovereign

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Thomas Jefferson

Semper fidelis demands faith that is broadly and baldly rejected here. Semper fi, Skid, ya got this one right. God Bless US Bitter Clingers.

Quote Originally Posted by SovereigntyOrDeath View Post
    "Ooh-rah" – A motivational cry that signifies Marines are ready and eager to accomplish the mission before them.

http://www.marines.com/history-heritage/traditions

Still want to ban free speech by those protecting it?
    Is it really "free speech" when you are being coerced into uttering it?

When was the last time (heck when was the first time) the Top Kick ended his motivational talk with "Can I get a 'Thank you, Sergeant Major, for your guidance and instruction. I shall endeavor to apply it to the performance of my duties' "? What about "Do I make myself abundantly clear on the matter?" No, it's "can I get an 'Ohh-rah' on that?"

"Semper Fi, Sergeant Major" will always be voluntary, regardless of what tone of voice/inflection you use in saying it.

And as for "a motivational cry that signifies Marines are ready and eager to accomplish the mission before them" - have they stopped having recruits chant "Semper Fi! Semper Fi! Semper Fi! Do or die!"? If it's good enough for boot camp it ought to be good enough for the rest of the Corps.

And I saved the best for last - why is the Marine Corps using some gutteral exclamation that the Army started because they didn't have the collective brainpower to form real words?

Let me just sum it up by saying I'm in total agreement with http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/10/ge...rd-oohrah-ban/

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Not just looking at the history of America's armed forces, marines were primarily for the defense of the actual ships against boarders.
    Naval Infantry. Many uses for Troops like this. Semper Gumby.

I may have finished my thirty five plus career as Army, but I started in the US Navy........Hooya!
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Naval Infantry. Many uses for Troops like this. Semper Gumby.

I may have finished my thirty five plus career as Army, but I started in the US Navy........Hooya!
    Couldn't work the buttons, or kept tying a granny knot?

And the Army - they have no idea how to count. 35 guys @ 2 beers apiece = 70 beers using Army math. 35 guys @ 2 beers apiece = 2 3/4 pallets by Marine math.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Banned
    Couldn't work the buttons, or kept tying a granny knot?

And the Army - they have no idea how to count. 35 guys @ 2 beers apiece = 70 beers using Army math. 35 guys @ 2 beers apiece = 2 3/4 pallets by Marine math.

stay safe.
    USAF calculation

35 guys = 3 million vaporized commies .... sweet ... then beer

I wonder if there aren't more megatons, warheads and strategic weapons under sailors' thumbs than USAF troglodytes?

There are 540 Trident D5 UGM-133A that may have all carried 12 MIRV W88 warheads of ~500 kT

There are 450 Minuteman LGM-30G each with three MIRV of ~500 kT.

Sailors, hands down. Hoo rah!
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-26-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I wonder if there aren't more megatons, warheads and strategic weapons under sailors' thumbs than USAF troglodytes?
    Sorry, I won't disclose secrets ... troglodytes .... funny .. I don't mind inter-service joking.

Grape might not approve though ....

Most folks can design a A-bomb ... H-bombs are very difficult, even countries who have tried have failed.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-26-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Is it really "free speech" when you are being coerced into uttering it?

When was the last time (heck when was the first time) the Top Kick ended his motivational talk with "Can I get a 'Thank you, Sergeant Major, for your guidance and instruction. I shall endeavor to apply it to the performance of my duties' "? What about "Do I make myself abundantly clear on the matter?" No, it's "can I get an 'Ohh-rah' on that?"

"Semper Fi, Sergeant Major" will always be voluntary, regardless of what tone of voice/inflection you use in saying it.

And as for "a motivational cry that signifies Marines are ready and eager to accomplish the mission before them" - have they stopped having recruits chant "Semper Fi! Semper Fi! Semper Fi! Do or die!"? If it's good enough for boot camp it ought to be good enough for the rest of the Corps.

And I saved the best for last - why is the Marine Corps using some gutteral exclamation that the Army started because they didn't have the collective brainpower to form real words?

Let me just sum it up by saying I'm in total agreement with http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/10/ge...rd-oohrah-ban/

stay safe.
    Do you know the difference between "Yes sir" and Aye aye sir"?

P.S.
    I never felt compelled to yell "Ooh-rah" it is a group bonding thing, something you have evidently never experianced, no different than the yell often heard when a football teem comes out of a huddle.
    Last edited by F350; 01-26-2015 at 05:22 PM.

"Aye aye" means, I hear and I will obey. A lesson from bootcamp in 1969.

Talking about the Marines being a separate service ... not needed anymore. They [Marines themselves] can be absorbed into the Navy or Army or Air Force.

I think everyone has a story of how this group or that group performed well or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Battalion_9th_Marines

If interested in Vietnam stats.

The Marines are obsolete as its own service that was created for the purpose of storming and securing beaches (not a fun job). We don't do that anymore.
    Speaking of the 1/9; I have heard that when My Lie was discovered the 1/9 was the first suspect the DoD looked at.

"Aye aye" means, I hear and I will obey. A lesson from bootcamp in 1969.
    I was wondering if skid knew.

OH YEA; I watched a You-tube vid of "Your first 5 minutes at Marine Corps Recruit Depot - San Diego", man it seemed like just last month I was on those yellow footprints!!!

1/9 The Walking Dead has the highest USMC KIA and the longest sustained combat of almost 50 months.

We were told that we were allowed to jump that fence, but that when the Marines finished with the fool then the Navy would clean-up what remained. Has a boot ever jumped that fence.

Note in re 'boot', Caligula, as in Emperor, means little-boot.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-26-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Well,,,

1/9 The Walking Dead has the highest USMC KIA and the longest sustained combat of almost 50 months.

We were told that we were allowed to jump that fence, but that when the Marines finished with the fool then the Navy would clean-up what remained. Has a boot ever jumped that fence.

Note in re 'boot', Caligula, as in Emperor, means little-boot.
    I remember,,,, like it was only yesterday....
    1971, RTC, San Diego.
    The fence,,, out side was freedom..
    And WE were all in Prison!

Why did we all volunteer to go to prison?

4 years later I got out, not prison, but the 1st step of a whole new life!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Do you know the difference between "Yes sir" and Aye aye sir"?

<snip>.
    Not really but I'll take a guess.

One is said standing upright.

One is said while bending down, touching your knees or toes.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-26-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Not really but I'll take a guess.

One is said standing upright.

One is said while bending down, touching your knees or toes.
    Ouch
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I was wondering if skid knew.

OH YEA; I watched a You-tube vid of "Your first 5 minutes at Marine Corps Recruit Depot - San Diego" ...
    Have you ever used "Sir, yes sir!" outside of boot camp? Almost as good as addressing any commissioned officer as "Mister".

So back in '71 were they still issuing the RayBans, or had they gone to the surplus USAF pilot's sunglasses?

I spent lots of time at various schools that were hosted there. Never once saw the first sand flea.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast