Thread: S 105 To enact the Constitutional Carry Act of 2015, by Bright, Bryant. Full text

S 105 To enact the Constitutional Carry Act of 2015, by Bright, Bryant. Full text

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess121_.../bills/105.htm

12/3/2014 Senate Prefiled
    12/3/2014 Senate Referred to Committee on Judiciary
    1/13/2015 Senate Introduced and read first time (Senate Journal-page 82)
    1/13/2015 Senate Referred to Committee on Judiciary
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

To my neighbors further south

May you all enjoy your true, constitutional freedom that is just...carry, be it concealed or not, but I hope mainly open carry of all arms, so that you may show us all, that you are the freest people in all the Carolinas. (and so that North Carolina can get around to stop sucking on the financial teat, that is the NCCHP system)
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Anybody have a read on the chances of this bill becoming law? It would be a giant step forward for SC.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Anybody have a read on the chances of this bill becoming law? It would be a giant step forward for SC.
    First I searched for an authoritative list of gun rights groups in South Carolina. The list that I found is not particularly authoritative, for a number of reasons, but it seems to be generated by an unbiased 'bot. It lists the same two gun rights groups in SC that have existed there since I became involved, the affiliate and the unaffiliated grassroots gun rights group. Based on that brief analysis, I would say that Constitutional Carry in SC will break the P4P rice-bowl. It has two chances of passage, slim and none. Its slim chance of passage is with the grassroots group that is apparently still stifled by court order brought by the national affiliate.

I pass through SC roughly annually to see friends while bicycling. I had occasion to visit the once Legislative Action Director for GRGRSC and the ACLU chapter. This was some years after the injunction was established. He was tired, his health always fragile, was not better and his children were of an age requiring more time and attention.

His ACLU chapter (now disavowed and disestablished) president, if that's what they're called, was even more elderly, a neighbor in my last residence in SC and that we used to visit. When I would speak of our gun rights adventures, her eyes, generally rheumy, would fill and she would refill my glass rather than speak. (This residence is where I was the last to embrace Colonel George Kenneth Webb USA RIP)

Until the P4P hegemony is broken, SC will not enjoy Constitutional Carry. ETA for the LOONEY disruptors, P4P is variously Privileges for Permitees or Perquisites for Pay.

I note that no new co-sponsors have been added, nor is there a coordinate House Bill. The antis are busy with their annual rearrangement of the deck-chairs, Gilda Cobb-Hunter particularly.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-27-2015 at 08:04 AM.

I kinda doubt this will go anywhere

Larry Martin, Chairman of the Seneate Judiciary committee, is pro gun, pro 2A but does not support getting rid of the current permit system. I sent him an email last year about getting rid of the permit system and his "canned" response was that he felt that moving to Constitutional Carry would let anyone carry a gun, even those who shouldn't have one such as felons, etc. Unless somebody can pull his strings, I don't see this ever coming out of committee.

Chairman is supposedly pro-gun and pro-2A, but NOT a co-sponsor nor on the previous sessions' bills.

corrrect........

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Chairman is supposedly pro-gun and pro-2A, but NOT a co-sponsor nor on the previous sessions' bills.
    puts a nice public face on it but doesn't really support Constitutional Carry. Likes to keep the system of "may I" and "thank you" in place.

Quote Originally Posted by RK3369 View Post
    puts a nice public face on it but doesn't really support Constitutional Carry. Likes to keep the system of "may I" and "thank you" in place.
    Larry Martin isn't pro Second Amendment, he's not really even a true Republican. He switched parties in 1989, he switched parties from Democrat to Republican. Which means his mind-set is only halfway in the door for the Republican side, but still clinging to his Democrat "roots."

I would like to see if he was ever lobbied or contacted and received aid from any pro-gun group or organization like the NRA etc. Because his stance on the Open Carry issue is the opposite of what it should be or what he's told people.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by RK3369 View Post
    Larry Martin, Chairman of the Seneate Judiciary committee, is pro gun, pro 2A but does not support getting rid of the current permit system. I sent him an email last year about getting rid of the permit system and his "canned" response was that he felt that moving to Constitutional Carry would let anyone carry a gun, even those who shouldn't have one such as felons, etc. Unless somebody can pull his strings, I don't see this ever coming out of committee.
    Constitutional carry does not require getting rid of a permit system. Alaska and Arizona have both retained their permit system even as they adopted constitutional carry.

A permit to carry allows one to legally carry in federal GFSZs. It enables carry in States that recognize the permit but don't (yet) have constitutional carry. A permit might also excuse the holder for the Brady check to purchase.

Obviously, in time, all of these benefits need to go away as the laws that the permits exempt the holder from should be repealed. But in the meantime, there is really no benefit to eliminating permits as part of adopting constitutional carry. And in addition to losing the benefits of the permit, abolishing the permits creates additional opposition both from those who want the benefits the permits currently offer, as well as permit trainers.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Sorry for the necro thread but since Larry Martin came up in this thread I thought I'd share this: http://www.independentmail.com/news/...384941291.html

Will this be a positive toward constitutional and/or OC in SC?

i find it fascinating the narrator of the article is felkel, who apparently is a lobbyist who's website states:
    quote:
    Since 1998, organizations of all sizes have turned to FG for a whole lot more than just politics. They look to us for media relations, business development, crisis management and issue advocacy at the state and federal level.

Chip Felkel has served as a trusted advisor, navigator and connector to senior decision-makers at all levels of business and government providing a frank objective perspective on political and policy issues, on communications challenges and business development projects. unquote

as felkel weaves a reason on why the incumbent lost, including 'dark money' allegedly from a group i can't find on gore's invention.

wonder what position felkel is pushing the losing incumbent towards with this op ed.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 07-10-2016 at 02:08 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

State Sen. Larry Martin...good riddance!!!

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/05/sen...mitless-carry/
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    State Sen. Larry Martin...good riddance!!!

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/05/sen...mitless-carry/
    From the above link URL;
    Quote Originally Posted by Senator Larry Martin (2-R)
    Permitless carry tacitly encourages the criminal element to disregard the obvious. And that is: don’t carry a gun.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-12-2016 at 08:30 AM.

Martin...Upstate politician, almost as bad as a politician from the Midlands.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare