• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How often do you train?

Glock 1st fan

I went to a few ranges around Oklahoma and have noticed that the different ranges offer various facilities based upon the range. My question is how serious are my fellow Open Carriers? How often do you train and research techniques and stay up to date on trending criminal activities? What do you do to train both on the range and off the range?

Me I work in a field where I deal with Criminals almost daily but even in my off time when I am teaching class or just enjoying the day I utilize my training firearms for the purpose of keeping on my toes for the what if. When on the range I practice proficiency.

Arin Morris

I honestly don't practice as much as I should. During warm weather I practice more than in the winter. I typically try go through dry fire drills every week to couple of weeks and live fire once a month in the summer time, when it's not cost prohibitive. I just get lazy when it gets cold out.

Primus

Once month in winter time. This will consist of starting and ending with slow fire marksmanship with either mag drills or shoot/assess threat drills in the middle. Mainly because in the winter I shoot indoors. Also teach at least once a month with some privates mixed in.

During spring,summer,fall its at least once a month of competition, at least once a month of teaching others and roughly once a week of drills on my own. This is usually done out doors with various drills from drawing from deep conceal, semi conceal, or open carry to shooting on the move. One of my favorites is have a buddy set targets off to your side you can't see. Mix shoot and NO shoot targets. Randomly while talking some yells THREAT or some other indicator. The goal is to turn ASSESS the targets then react accordingly. Good time.

All of that is live fire and class room. I don't do nearly enough dry fire to augment my training. Also should add a hand to hand aspect but haven't found a good style/gym yet. Did American Kenpo for about 8 years when I was younger but fell off after that.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have previously started a thread asking (not for just a general opinion but something backed up with a cite) for how often is it needed to maintain proficiency w/a weapon (can be weapon specific too) ...

I got no substantial replies back.

So, from my experience here, on this forum, no one has a clue or at least could address it to me.

Primus

I have previously started a thread asking (not for just a general opinion but something backed up with a cite) for how often is it needed to maintain proficiency w/a weapon (can be weapon specific too) ...

I got no substantial replies back.

So, from my experience here, on this forum, no one has a clue or at least could address it to me.
Never so that thread.

Answer is....... Depends.

Start by defining "proficiency".

I had a class of 15 students last night. Most walked in the door barely knowing the bad end of rh gun. By the time they left they could safely load, unload, handle the firearms (I bring a lot). Were they proficient? Proficient enough to do those three basis tasks without shooting anyone in the face.

But are they combat capable? No.
Will they he as proficient in a week? Probably not. Because firearms handling is a perishable skill.

So define proficiency a bit better and I'll gladly help ya.

Proficiency in combat? In a oh s**** moment with enough warning (thinking like your alert and awake and someone starts kicking door and maybe you have a minute or two to mentally process and prepare). How about a 3am one boot through the door waking from a soubd sleep having to grab gun identify target and stop safely?

Or are you talking about proficiently picking up a rifle at he range and making pretty little holes in paper at 50ft?