• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No CHP how to transport?

Eshirley

Hey guys I've recently been reading up on how to transport my handgun. I am new to open carry. And am nervous about getting harassed by Fairfax LEO. I read on a previous forums that u can keep it holstered as long as it isn't purposly concealed with a towel clothes ect. So if I open carry threw Walmart get in my car, seatbelt on, drive away get pulled over for taillight out. and they see my handgun, it's totally legal to have it on my hip with the mag in? One in the chamber? I didn't mention I have a firearm in the vehicle? What if he wants to run the guns numbers to make sure it's not stolen? Do I Hand it over? Right to search the vehicle? Sorry for the overload of questions. Just been hassled by police here for much more so minor offenses. "U didn't have your turn signal on, may I search your vehicle". "no". "why not? what we you hiding, I'm calling backup." Thanks for any help,advice, wisdom you can spare on a young, new gun owner. 😁😃

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hey guys I've recently been reading up on how to transport my handgun. I am new to open carry. And am nervous about getting harassed by Fairfax LEO. I read on a previous forums that u can keep it holstered as long as it isn't purposly concealed with a towel clothes ect. So if I open carry threw Walmart get in my car, seatbelt on, drive away get pulled over for taillight out. and they see my handgun, it's totally legal to have it on my hip with the mag in? One in the chamber? I didn't mention I have a firearm in the vehicle? What if he wants to run the guns numbers to make sure it's not stolen? Do I Hand it over? Right to search the vehicle? Sorry for the overload of questions. Just been hassled by police here for much more so minor offenses. "U didn't have your turn signal on, may I search your vehicle". "no". "why not? what we you hiding, I'm calling backup." Thanks for any help,advice, wisdom you can spare on a young, new gun owner. ����

You don't need a permit to transport and you can put it In any secure container like the glove box. No duty to notify just don't lie about it and he can search your car only near you for weapons.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
LOL "call for backup" .. funny.

Like for speeding where I say (upon request to search) "you're not going to find any further evidence of speeding in my glove box are you?..so no I decline"

They can tear your seats out if they want and leave them on the side of the road.

Then the old "yo mamma" reply to every further query...they like that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey guys I've recently been reading up on how to transport my handgun. I am new to open carry. And am nervous about getting harassed by Fairfax LEO. I read on a previous forums that u can keep it holstered as long as it isn't purposly concealed with a towel clothes ect. So if I open carry threw Walmart get in my car, seatbelt on, drive away get pulled over for taillight out. and they see my handgun, it's totally legal to have it on my hip with the mag in? One in the chamber? I didn't mention I have a firearm in the vehicle? What if he wants to run the guns numbers to make sure it's not stolen? Do I Hand it over? Right to search the vehicle? Sorry for the overload of questions. Just been hassled by police here for much more so minor offenses. "U didn't have your turn signal on, may I search your vehicle". "no". "why not? what we you hiding, I'm calling backup." Thanks for any help,advice, wisdom you can spare on a young, new gun owner. 😁😃

If your gun is available to common observation, then it is openly carried. No mag or loaded chamber is just a fancy paper weight.

Read extensively on the subject in following link:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98912-Open-Carrying-in-Vehicle-without-a-CHP-%28Concealed-Handgun-Permit%29-STICKY

scouser

Hey guys I've recently been reading up on how to transport my handgun. I am new to open carry. And am nervous about getting harassed by Fairfax LEO. I read on a previous forums that u can keep it holstered as long as it isn't purposly concealed with a towel clothes ect. So if I open carry threw Walmart get in my car, seatbelt on, drive away get pulled over for taillight out. and they see my handgun, it's totally legal to have it on my hip with the mag in? One in the chamber? I didn't mention I have a firearm in the vehicle? What if he wants to run the guns numbers to make sure it's not stolen? Do I Hand it over? Right to search the vehicle? Sorry for the overload of questions. Just been hassled by police here for much more so minor offenses. "U didn't have your turn signal on, may I search your vehicle". "no". "why not? what we you hiding, I'm calling backup." Thanks for any help,advice, wisdom you can spare on a young, new gun owner.

HELL NO !!!

If you put your hand on it to remove it in order to hand it to him, what about his buddy who didn't hear the request? He sees you going for a gun and thinks you're about to start shooting at his fellow cop. Can you guess what happens next? You DO NOT touch it, usual advice is you inform him that you are not going to touch it and would rather, for the safety of everyone concerned, it just be left where it is, that you do not consent to any search of your person or belongings but will not physically prevent him doing so.

However, if you're so paranoid about being pulled over for stupid stuff, check all the lights on your vehicle every day before you get in it, get in the habit of using the turn signal for EVERY turn or lane change, turn your lights on (including the rear ones) when it's raining, stop when a light turns yellow, obey the speed limit, count to 17 at a stop sign ('discussion' I had many years ago with a cop in Toronto, he claimed I didn't stop "long enough" at a stop sign, I pointed out the sign only told me to stop it didn't tell me to stop and count to 10, he chose not to push the issue), keep your music to a level that doesn't intrude on the ears of people not in your vehicle, turn your ballcap the right way round, invest in a belt and pull your pants up, basically don't give them an excuse to pull you over

Primus

HELL NO !!!

If you put your hand on it to remove it in order to hand it to him, what about his buddy who didn't hear the request? He sees you going for a gun and thinks you're about to start shooting at his fellow cop. Can you guess what happens next? You DO NOT touch it, usual advice is you inform him that you are not going to touch it and would rather, for the safety of everyone concerned, it just be left where it is, that you do not consent to any search of your person or belongings but will not physically prevent him doing so.

However, if you're so paranoid about being pulled over for stupid stuff, check all the lights on your vehicle every day before you get in it, get in the habit of using the turn signal for EVERY turn or lane change, turn your lights on (including the rear ones) when it's raining, stop when a light turns yellow, obey the speed limit, count to 17 at a stop sign ('discussion' I had many years ago with a cop in Toronto, he claimed I didn't stop "long enough" at a stop sign, I pointed out the sign only told me to stop it didn't tell me to stop and count to 10, he chose not to push the issue), keep your music to a level that doesn't intrude on the ears of people not in your vehicle, turn your ballcap the right way round, invest in a belt and pull your pants up, basically don't give them an excuse to pull you over
No belt and backwards cap is reason to pull over now? How can you even see what kind of pants he's wearing?

Primus

Since the pronoun "he" is the proper gender to use in the English language for subjects where the sex of the subject is unknown, show the picture of the pretty ladies. Help those of us who may have had a bad day.
Yea I was being all proper like that's what I was doing [emoji14] . So I vote with this smart man.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Since the pronoun "he" is the proper gender to use in the English language for subjects where the sex of the subject is unknown, show the picture of the pretty ladies. Help those of us who may have had a bad day.

.....Jeeps are for girls too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's a dirty dirty girl. She's clearly down for anything. Not sure I'd take her home to mom like that.
Strange that there aren't volunteers to help with the clean up - its a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. Mike Rowe wouldn't hesitate.

va_tazdad

Strange that there aren't volunteers to help with the clean up - its a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. Mike Rowe wouldn't hesitate.

Didn't know you were taking volunteers. I'm in. If only to see what she looks like when she isn't covered in mud. Any woman that is willing to get that dirty has got to be fun.

;>)

WalkingWolf