• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah permit holder stops armed robbery

WalkingWolf

I'm afraid you're asking a bit of a red-herring question. In the first case, when a cop is seen using force there is some chance the force is justified or required to stop unlawful conduct or effect a lawful arrest. Such questions are less likely to be valid when a person is engaged in armed robbery at a restaurant or convenience store.

But put another way, the effective question you're asking is, "If you see a gang of 100 well armed men beating someone are you willing to step in on the same basis as if you see 1 lone assailant beating a person." When you take on a cop--no matter how well justified--there is a very good chance that sooner or later you get to take on the entire rest of the thin blue line, plus prosecutors, judges, and then prison guards. In short, a cop represents the power and authority of the state and in most cases will have that full power behind him.

Take on the one criminal dirt bag and a half dozen cops show up to assist or finish the job of ending the threat from the criminal.

Take on one cop, and a 4 dozen of his buddies show up to end the threat against him.

Those are two very different equations and I can't fault anyone who has a different response to those two very different sets of circumstances. Jumping into a swimming pool to save a drowning child is a prudent thing for most anyone who can swim at all. Jumping off a boat, into high seas may well be sure suicide even for the strongest of swimmers.

I simply don't see that your question--or most answers to it--provide any real benefit to the discussion.

You've asserted that this was "just an armed robbery" and thus didn't present much risk to life or limb. I and others seem to think that is a bit of an unsupportable statement. Your question about confronting cops looks a bit like a dodge to avoid answering how you'd respond to an armed robbery against yourself or a family member. Clearly an armed robbery is a threat to life and limb and most anyone might be expected to respond with deadly force.

There remain legitimate questions about the prudence of intervening in behalf of others. But I don't think claims that armed robbery is not a real threat to life or limb are the way to approach that. It seems the situation was less exigent than an active shooter situation. But if one is going to act, it seems waiting until the criminal forces victims into the freezer might not be the best course to follow either.

Charles

It is a simple question to determine if a person is really a hero. If their action has extreme consequences to themselves will you or them step up to the plate. It is not a red herring because some citizens have stepped up to the plate, but not with firearms. I have seen no evidence of heroes with firearms stepping up to the plate in such a situation, and I am not saying they should. Just that if you are in no danger and stick your nose in you are no hero. If you do not have the guts to pull the trigger if you do step in you are an idiot. When brings the question, if he was not planning to use his gun, did he really believe others were in danger?

utbagpiper

Banned
Want to be a hero, don't do it around my family or I, we will take responsibility for our own safety if you don't mind. Leave the police work to the police, carry to protect your own, because you may just make matters worse by playing "hero".

I think when one of the victim's mouthed "we are being robbed" to him, she as much as asked for help. Which puts her in a very different situation than you see yourself in. It seems none of the employees were armed or otherwise prepared to confront an armed robber. Whether they have neglected to get any training or a permit to carry, or whether they were disarmed only by employment policy I cannot say. But it is a rare employer--especially when talking about national chains--that doesn't have a "no guns" policy.

One of the biggest problems with these self made heroes they are in no danger themselves. If they are they do not step in. Odds are there was at least one concealed carrier in the Colorado theater, I suspect that carrier was hauling ass to escape like everybody else. He would be stupid if he was not. We know there was at least one armed citizen at the shooting of Gabby Gifford in Arizona, but he did not draw and fire, which would have endangered others. While he did not get the golden awards or the pats on the back that heroes covet, he did not take any lives.

I will not criticize anyone who protects himself and own first, foremost, and only. It is my planned course of action in any case where protecting others would require me to use deadly force.

But neither will I criticize those who make a good faith effort to render aid to those in need. Whether that is pulling someone from a burning car, administering CPR, or using a firearm to help stop a crime. After all the "would haves, could haves, should haves" are said and done, this guy stopped a crime, nobody got hurt, the criminal was arrested, and it is a bit of good press for gun owners and carry permit holders in Utah, coincidentally on the 2nd day of our legislative session.

I'd certainly much rather have this kind of press than the kind we get from yahoos brandishing long guns thinking they are some kind of "activist" that is doing something to help stop government tyranny.

If you carry to be a "hero" please get some professional help.

And I might say that if you carry to be some kind of political activist or patriot, please get some professional help.

Charles

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

I will ask you the same question I posed to others. If you see a cop assaulting a citizen will you step in with your firearm? Or step in period? Be Honest?

Even though you blatantly refused to answer my question (presumably to avoid the embarrassment of a double standard) I will answer yours.
I don't know.

Very lucky, especially since he did not have what it takes to pull the trigger. I almost suffered a shotgun blast to the gut by one of these ignorant heroes. A man walked into the hospital with a blanket over a shotgun. As I rounded the corner to go back on patrol he pointed the gun at my gut. I tried to remain calm and talk him down, he did not immediately shoot me, was not looking for me. This idiot moron old man jumps on his back the shotgun discharges out of his reaction as I pushed it to the side. Ignorant stupid arse hero who was in no danger himself but decided he wanted to be a hero. He went for days going around the hospital how he was a hero and saved my life. That bragging cost him his job at the hospital, after the chief had a talk with the administrator how dangerous this "hero" was.

Want to be a hero, don't do it around my family or I, we will take responsibility for our own safety if you don't mind. Leave the police work to the police, carry to protect your own, because you may just make matters worse by playing "hero".

One of the biggest problems with these self made heroes they are in no danger themselves. If they are they do not step in. Odds are there was at least one concealed carrier in the Colorado theater, I suspect that carrier was hauling ass to escape like everybody else. He would be stupid if he was not. We know there was at least one armed citizen at the shooting of Gabby Gifford in Arizona, but he did not draw and fire, which would have endangered others. While he did not get the golden awards or the pats on the back that heroes covet, he did not take any lives.

If you carry to be a "hero" please get some professional help.

That "idiot" "moron" probably saved your life. It sounds like you think your the only one qualified to make a decision to intervene in a crisis. lol
Perhaps that's the cop training

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
It is a simple question to determine if a person is really a hero. If their action has extreme consequences to themselves will you or them step up to the plate. It is not a red herring because some citizens have stepped up to the plate, but not with firearms. I have seen no evidence of heroes with firearms stepping up to the plate in such a situation, and I am not saying they should. Just that if you are in no danger and stick your nose in you are no hero. If you do not have the guts to pull the trigger if you do step in you are an idiot. When brings the question, if he was not planning to use his gun, did he really believe others were in danger?

I don't see that the fellow called himself a hero, or that anyone else has called him a hero except you, and then only to malign him for thinking he is some kind of hero. Heck, the guy only spoke to the media on condition of anonymity. He clearly isn't looking for the limelight. But you castigate him for not being a "real" hero. I think what we have here is something like a strawman argument on your part.

And who is to say he didn't have the guts to pull the trigger? All evidence is that pulling the trigger wasn't necessary to end the threat. We should be thrilled he didn't shed blood needlessly. Now, had his gun been taken away, or he been stabbed, we might well be justified in claiming he wasn't willing to pull the trigger when it needed to be pulled. But since we weren't there and the media report is very limited, I don't think we have sufficient information to come to the conclusion.

Notably, I doubt even Utah local media will ever do a follow up on this story. And I'm sure the AP and other national media hasn't picked up on it. Nobody got hurt, and law-abiding citizen with a permit to carry a firearm stopped a crime. Not really newsworthy. But if the armed robber in some Utah town most of the nation can't find even with a map had gone nuts and slashed up half a dozen people, killing three of them, odds are good it would be national news.

Charles

J_dazzle23

I'm afraid you're asking a bit of a red-herring question. In the first case, when a cop is seen using force there is some chance the force is justified or required to stop unlawful conduct or effect a lawful arrest. Such questions are less likely to be valid when a person is engaged in armed robbery at a restaurant or convenience store.

But put another way, the effective question you're asking is, "If you see a gang of 100 well armed men beating someone are you willing to step in on the same basis as if you see 1 lone assailant beating a person." When you take on a cop--no matter how well justified--there is a very good chance that sooner or later you get to take on the entire rest of the thin blue line, plus prosecutors, judges, and then prison guards. In short, a cop represents the power and authority of the state and in most cases will have that full power behind him.

Take on the one criminal dirt bag and a half dozen cops show up to assist or finish the job of ending the threat from the criminal.

Take on one cop, and a 4 dozen of his buddies show up to end the threat against him.

Those are two very different equations and I can't fault anyone who has a different response to those two very different sets of circumstances. Jumping into a swimming pool to save a drowning child is a prudent thing for most anyone who can swim at all. Jumping off a boat, into high seas may well be sure suicide even for the strongest of swimmers.

I simply don't see that your question--or most answers to it--provide any real benefit to the discussion.

You've asserted that this was "just an armed robbery" and thus didn't present much risk to life or limb. I and others seem to think that is a bit of an unsupportable statement. Your question about confronting cops looks a bit like a dodge to avoid answering how you'd respond to an armed robbery against yourself or a family member. Clearly an armed robbery is a threat to life and limb and most anyone might be expected to respond with deadly force.

There remain legitimate questions about the prudence of intervening in behalf of others. But I don't think claims that armed robbery is not a real threat to life or limb are the way to approach that. It seems the situation was less exigent than an active shooter situation. But if one is going to act, it seems waiting until the criminal forces victims into the freezer might not be the best course to follow either.

Charles
That makes the second red herring acknowledgement of the statement.

Apples to oranges, I'm afraid.

if I judge a situation to be someone with intent and ability threatening someone I can help with their life, I will intervene. Maybe you wouldnt, but it doesn't make those of us that would idiots.

It's a split second judgement call. Not a black and white issue that will always demand the same action

Also, you are using an either/or logical fallicy that someone in this situation is either:

An idiot or a hero

This is absurd. It is in human nature to have compassion and sympathy towards others. If my wife is working her job that does not allow firearms, and someone threatens her life, I sure hope there is a "hero" in the building.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, outside of your two options, someone simply wants to help their fellow man in a time of crisis, and has no use for the "glory" of being a "hero?"

You are making amazingly quick character judgements on someone, that by everything we have to read, simply wanted to be a good samaritan, and found lethal force not necessary.

I thought for all the b*tching and moaning on this site about Cops shooting people, that everyone would appreciate someone getting the job done with no shots fired.

Last edited:

TTTinker

The suspect was a pathetic little paint huffer. I think he realized this when he came back in the restaurant. She came at him with the knife and he controlled the knife and her without firing a shot. Johnny hero would have been on the news with a big smile.
This fellow wouldn't talk except under the condition of anonymity. Maybe he was just doing a job he thought needed done. I believe that if she needed shot he would have dispatched her forth with.
Folks around here are like that. JMHO

OldCurlyWolf

But was it a threat to someone's life, or just a armed robbery. Would YOU step in with your firearm to stop a LEO clearly beating a person for no justification? It has never happened that I know of, the only people who have stepped in are people with camera phones. As much as it seem as these incidents happen out in the open where the hell are the heroes with firearms?

If there are real consequences to being a hero, heroes suddenly do not become heroes. There are times to step in, when actual physical harm is being done, such as the carrier who stopped a man from beating a girl. There was actual physical harm.

And the biggest thing is if you know you do not have the balls to pull the trigger STAY THE HELL OUT OF IT.

If you really want to save the world, get a camera. Leave the policing to the police.

As a former LEO, Attitudes like yours are ONE of the several reasons our crime rates are as high as they are currently.

If I see an armed felon committing a crime and I can stop it, without adding to the danger to others, I WILL stop it.