Thread: Your Thoughts on LAPD use of Body Worn Video

Your Thoughts on LAPD use of Body Worn Video

The LAPD is considering/reviewing mandatory use of body cams for all its officers. There's been a drastic reduction in complaints against officers in other jurisdictions. This is in part because fraudulent complaints would no longer have any teeth, and in part because police officers themselves know they're being videotaped, and they know they'd never get away with anything criminal.

It's a survey, and they're seeking your input.

Admins/mods: As the LAPD's implementation will undoubtedly influence the way other municipalities throughout the nation implement their own systems, please do not pigeon-hole this into the California section.

It affects all of us, particularly those of us who open carry (visible by the body cam), so please keep this in the News and Political Alerts section. Thanks.

Take the survey!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Having taken the survey, here are my thoughts:

Should be of sufficient resolution and stability to show minute details.

Need to be made available to anyone with a legitimate need. News media has no legitimate need. Protect the rights and privacy of anyone who may be innocent.

Records should be kept in accordance with federal records law, unless anyone can show legitimate reason to keep it longer.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

Need to be made available to anyone with a legitimate need. News media has no legitimate need. Protect the rights and privacy of anyone who may be innocent.

Records should be kept in accordance with federal records law, unless anyone can show legitimate reason to keep it longer.
    I'm for body cameras. But who's going to pay for the initial cost and upkeep?

For example, I only get 100rds per year to practice shooting at the range on my own time. I then spend 1 paid day of training to qualify and go through some drills under actual instruction and supervision. We don't get more ammo and/or more instruction because there's no money.

This has been the concern amongst some coworkers. Who's going to foot the bill?
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Body cams are like "No Guns" signs - useful until something goes wrong.

Body cams, even if mounted on the top or temple of the cop still do not capture the whole picture, and as soon as arms are extended a major portion of the picture is obscured. Just look at some of the videos posted by mountain bikers, skateboarders, and those folks who fly in squirrel suits down the sides of mountains until they chicken out and open a parachute - then start swiveling that camera from side to side.

But worse yet, juries are going to believe that body-cam video is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth - all three.

There's a video making the rounds of a cop being shot by some guy with a .22 6-shooter. Look at it and tell me precisely what happened. Can't do that? Why not? (Because the camera was not square to the shooter and the angle was not parallel to the ground.)

In spite of all that, body cameras change the perceptions and therefore the behavior of folks on either side of the badge.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Body cams are like "No Guns" signs - useful until something goes wrong.

Body cams, even if mounted on the top or temple of the cop still do not capture the whole picture, and as soon as arms are extended a major portion of the picture is obscured. Just look at some of the videos posted by mountain bikers, skateboarders, and those folks who fly in squirrel suits down the sides of mountains until they chicken out and open a parachute - then start swiveling that camera from side to side.

But worse yet, juries are going to believe that body-cam video is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth - all three.

There's a video making the rounds of a cop being shot by some guy with a .22 6-shooter. Look at it and tell me precisely what happened. Can't do that? Why not? (Because the camera was not square to the shooter and the angle was not parallel to the ground.)

In spite of all that, body cameras change the perceptions and therefore the behavior of folks on either side of the badge.

stay safe.
    Well said +1
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

Disagree with "privacy" concerns .... all gov't records should be open. Fed. records laws? huh? Talking about state records.

The public knowing what state employees do is a legitimate need enough. No redaction (this would delay a records response to a forever time frame)...

If approved/mandatory.

Depending on the camera's point of view? It can be highly imperfect.

I guess floating/hovering drone cameras is upcoming. Goodbye, privacy.
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

The definition of public place is where there is no expectation of privacy. Hoodies/masks should raise ones threat awareness.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.