Thread: Traveling to California

Traveling to California

My wife and I will be leaving for San Francisco from Washington on Wednesday day and will arrive on Thursday. Obviously carrying my trusty sidearm is out of the question, but what about non lethal options? I work as a Security Officer and I've got a collapsible steel baton that I'd like to carry.
    I've read stories about pushy homeless people and women being grabbed I'm public and I really don't want have to let it get that far.

So what options do I have to deter any altercation?
    Also is there any place I shouldn't carry pepper spray or a knight stick?
    In addition, where should a couple of tourists in their 20's check out or stay away from?
    -PJ

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkey Butt View Post
    My wife and I will be leaving for San Francisco from Washington on Wednesday day and will arrive on Thursday. Obviously carrying my trusty sidearm is out of the question, but what about non lethal options? I work as a Security Officer and I've got a collapsible steel baton that I'd like to carry.
    I've read stories about pushy homeless people and women being grabbed I'm public and I really don't want have to let it get that far.

So what options do I have to deter any altercation?
    Also is there any place I shouldn't carry pepper spray or a knight (sic) stick?
    In addition, where should a couple of tourists in their 20's check out or stay away from?
    Appears that batons are not permissible - only some knives are legal
    http://socallawblog.blogspot.com/201...i-legally.html

Suggest you take a hint from Fairbairn and carry/use a cane or umbrella.
    http://www.spanglefish.com/moderncom...y&newsid=16412
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-27-2015 at 06:32 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Appears that batons are not permissible - only some knives are legal
    http://socallawblog.blogspot.com/201...i-legally.html

Suggest you take a hint from Fairbairn and carry/use a cane or umbrella.
    http://www.spanglefish.com/moderncom...y&newsid=16412
    Coorect.
    Batons (they're like little sticks right?) ... goofy CA (and other states)

My advice .. stay in America and forget about san fran.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Coorect.

Yes, mine is a collapsible steel baton (identical to these http://www.copsplus.com/expandablebatons.php).

If I could get my money back I probably would stay "State Side".
    -PJ

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkey Butt View Post
    Yes, mine is a collapsible steel baton (identical to these http://www.copsplus.com/expandablebatons.php).

If I could get my money back I probably would stay "State Side".
    Kalifornia is one of the most beautiful states in the union IMO. Unfortunately the inmates are running the asylum down there.

Enjoy the sights with other folks for a strength in numbers approach.

China Town is nice, Alcatraz is cool. Drive over the Golden Gate Bridge. Take a drive along the coast.

There are lots of fun and interesting things to do and see.

Situational Awareness and Common Sense will be your friends
    "Nullification is the rightful remedy" Thomas Jefferson
    http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter...-preservation/

"Constitutional Carry is not an oxymoron"
    A Sovereign

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Thomas Jefferson

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Coorect.

I'd agree with that one. Stay away from the Peoples Republic of California. I don't know why they're even a state as they obviously have no respect for the Constitution and 2A rights. But then again since even most 2A advocates have bowed down to the 'great leaders' of their states and follow state 'laws' and not the Constitution, can you blame them?
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

To enter and escape from Los Angeles (and the rest of Kommiefornia) alive, without jack booted thugs taking your sidearm away, you'll need something SPECIAL. You'll need the legendary GLOCK 7 (Die Hard 2) and its porcelain magazines and plastic nosed ammunition!

Or travel to the Pentagon and grab one of those legendary M1911A1 custom non-metal guns (from the last X-Men movie <for now>... don't they look stylish?)
    Last edited by Custodian; 01-28-2015 at 07:42 PM.
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

Well,,,

You can take a standard capacity unloaded gun, in a locked case to cali.
    Harbor freight sells metal cases with combo lock that looks like a book, about 15$.

And,,, go to Giridelly square, fishermans warf, ride a trolly, get lunch, ride back on a differant trolly.
    drive down lumbard street. go to sea world. cross the golden gate bridge.
    ETC....
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Banned
    Call brown and ask if he would not mind assigning a few of his bodyguards to guard you as you obviously cannot protect yourself.

If he says no, then just watch the video linked below and save some cash ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9-V0CxLPJA

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar
    Call brown and ask if he would not mind assigning a few of his bodyguards to guard you as you obviously cannot protect yourself.
    Great idea. I would do one better. Write a letter to Brown, Pelosi, Feinstein, Boxer, with the same request. Send the letters certified with return receipt. Now you have a case if you get mugged or worst. They refused to protect you on your trip and their draconian gun laws would not allow you to protect you and yours.....
    "Nullification is the rightful remedy" Thomas Jefferson
    http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter...-preservation/

"Constitutional Carry is not an oxymoron"
    A Sovereign

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Thomas Jefferson

I lived in SF for a time. No, you cannot carry a firearm under any circumstance.

You may carry a concealed knife for self defense, as long as it flips open. There is no restriction on size. No butterflies or switchblades (even though you can easily find them for sale in Chinatown).

You may open carry a holstered knife/dirk/dagger, although I wouldn't recommend it due to many LEO's ignorance of the law.

You may openly smoke a joint if that's your thing A different kind of freedom, but freedom nonetheless.

Be careful if you head to the Tenderloin district/City Hall area... Lots of great restaurants and bars, but also lots of crackheads and people shooting up on the street.

Don't listen to all the crap people say about SF... it is truly a beautiful city with lots to see and do. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Edited: grammar
    Last edited by TexasOC; 01-30-2015 at 12:38 PM.

the risk is overrated

As a lifelong Kalifornia communal redisent, random crime is pretty infrequent. I used to have a Calif CCW, and let it expire. I might get another one in the future. The reality is most of the bad crime here occurs in the ghettos, and at night. All states have cities like this, Kalifornia, just has a lot of cities. My suggestion is to avoid sketchy areas. It does not take a genius to figure out when you are probably not in the best neighborhood, and that while driving , you should drive and leave yourself enough room to drive out of bad situation.

That does not mean I am a sheeple. You are allowed to carry a unloaded long gun in the trunk of your car here anywhere. I have a Valtro PM5 shotgun that loads 6 rounds in 2 seconds, and is legal in this state. I don't know any crook that wants to take a guy on with a shotgun to rob him. Too many un armed sheeple around to work over first. That is all i need for traveling around, I am not going to engage in a car to car moving gun battle, so having a handgun is not that much of a advantage. The best defense in any urban area is to keep your head on a swivel and be aware of your surroundings, before exiting your car. Take your long gun case with you and put a magazine fed rifle or shotgun in it. The magazine can be loaded, just not in the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasOC View Post
    I lived in SF for a time. No, you cannot carry a firearm under any circumstance.

You may carry a concealed knife for self defense, as long as it flips open. There is no restriction on size. No butterflies or switchblades (even though you can easily find them for sale in Chinatown).

You may open carry a holstered knife/dirk/dagger, although I wouldn't recommend it due to many LEO's ignorance of the law.

You may openly smoke a joint if that's your thing A different kind of freedom, but freedom nonetheless.

Be careful if you head to the Tenderloin district/City Hall area... Lots of great restaurants and bars, but also lots of crackheads and people shooting up on the street.

Don't listen to all the crap people say about SF... it is truly a beautiful city with lots to see and do. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Edited: grammar