• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to California

Munkey Butt

My wife and I will be leaving for San Francisco from Washington on Wednesday day and will arrive on Thursday. Obviously carrying my trusty sidearm is out of the question, but what about non lethal options? I work as a Security Officer and I've got a collapsible steel baton that I'd like to carry.
I've read stories about pushy homeless people and women being grabbed I'm public and I really don't want have to let it get that far.

So what options do I have to deter any altercation?
Also is there any place I shouldn't carry pepper spray or a knight stick?
In addition, where should a couple of tourists in their 20's check out or stay away from?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My wife and I will be leaving for San Francisco from Washington on Wednesday day and will arrive on Thursday. Obviously carrying my trusty sidearm is out of the question, but what about non lethal options? I work as a Security Officer and I've got a collapsible steel baton that I'd like to carry.
I've read stories about pushy homeless people and women being grabbed I'm public and I really don't want have to let it get that far.

So what options do I have to deter any altercation?
Also is there any place I shouldn't carry pepper spray or a knight (sic) stick?
In addition, where should a couple of tourists in their 20's check out or stay away from?

Appears that batons are not permissible - only some knives are legal
http://socallawblog.blogspot.com/2014/02/what-kinds-of-weapons-can-i-legally.html

Suggest you take a hint from Fairbairn and carry/use a cane or umbrella.
http://www.spanglefish.com/moderncombativesgroup/news.asp?intent=viewstory&newsid=16412

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

SovereigntyOrDeath

Yes, mine is a collapsible steel baton (identical to these http://www.copsplus.com/expandablebatons.php).

If I could get my money back I probably would stay "State Side".

Kalifornia is one of the most beautiful states in the union IMO. Unfortunately the inmates are running the asylum down there.

Enjoy the sights with other folks for a strength in numbers approach.

China Town is nice, Alcatraz is cool. Drive over the Golden Gate Bridge. Take a drive along the coast.

There are lots of fun and interesting things to do and see.

Situational Awareness and Common Sense will be your friends

rightwinglibertarian

Coorect.
Batons (they're like little sticks right?) ... goofy CA (and other states)

My advice .. stay in America and forget about san fran.

I'd agree with that one. Stay away from the Peoples Republic of California. I don't know why they're even a state as they obviously have no respect for the Constitution and 2A rights. But then again since even most 2A advocates have bowed down to the 'great leaders' of their states and follow state 'laws' and not the Constitution, can you blame them?

Custodian

To enter and escape from Los Angeles (and the rest of Kommiefornia) alive, without jack booted thugs taking your sidearm away, you'll need something SPECIAL. You'll need the legendary GLOCK 7 (Die Hard 2) and its porcelain magazines and plastic nosed ammunition!

Or travel to the Pentagon and grab one of those legendary M1911A1 custom non-metal guns (from the last X-Men movie <for now>... don't they look stylish?)

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

You can take a standard capacity unloaded gun, in a locked case to cali.
Harbor freight sells metal cases with combo lock that looks like a book, about 15$.

And,,, go to Giridelly square, fishermans warf, ride a trolly, get lunch, ride back on a differant trolly.
drive down lumbard street. go to sea world. cross the golden gate bridge.
ETC....

SovereigntyOrDeath

Call brown and ask if he would not mind assigning a few of his bodyguards to guard you as you obviously cannot protect yourself.

Great idea. I would do one better. Write a letter to Brown, Pelosi, Feinstein, Boxer, with the same request. Send the letters certified with return receipt. Now you have a case if you get mugged or worst. They refused to protect you on your trip and their draconian gun laws would not allow you to protect you and yours.....:D

TexasOC

I lived in SF for a time. No, you cannot carry a firearm under any circumstance.

You may carry a concealed knife for self defense, as long as it flips open. There is no restriction on size. No butterflies or switchblades (even though you can easily find them for sale in Chinatown).

You may open carry a holstered knife/dirk/dagger, although I wouldn't recommend it due to many LEO's ignorance of the law.

You may openly smoke a joint if that's your thing ;) A different kind of freedom, but freedom nonetheless.

Be careful if you head to the Tenderloin district/City Hall area... Lots of great restaurants and bars, but also lots of crackheads and people shooting up on the street.

Don't listen to all the crap people say about SF... it is truly a beautiful city with lots to see and do. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Edited: grammar

Last edited:

oc4ever

the risk is overrated

As a lifelong Kalifornia communal redisent, random crime is pretty infrequent. I used to have a Calif CCW, and let it expire. I might get another one in the future. The reality is most of the bad crime here occurs in the ghettos, and at night. All states have cities like this, Kalifornia, just has a lot of cities. My suggestion is to avoid sketchy areas. It does not take a genius to figure out when you are probably not in the best neighborhood, and that while driving , you should drive and leave yourself enough room to drive out of bad situation.

That does not mean I am a sheeple. You are allowed to carry a unloaded long gun in the trunk of your car here anywhere. I have a Valtro PM5 shotgun that loads 6 rounds in 2 seconds, and is legal in this state. I don't know any crook that wants to take a guy on with a shotgun to rob him. Too many un armed sheeple around to work over first. That is all i need for traveling around, I am not going to engage in a car to car moving gun battle, so having a handgun is not that much of a advantage. The best defense in any urban area is to keep your head on a swivel and be aware of your surroundings, before exiting your car. Take your long gun case with you and put a magazine fed rifle or shotgun in it. The magazine can be loaded, just not in the gun.

I lived in SF for a time. No, you cannot carry a firearm under any circumstance.

You may carry a concealed knife for self defense, as long as it flips open. There is no restriction on size. No butterflies or switchblades (even though you can easily find them for sale in Chinatown).

You may open carry a holstered knife/dirk/dagger, although I wouldn't recommend it due to many LEO's ignorance of the law.

You may openly smoke a joint if that's your thing ;) A different kind of freedom, but freedom nonetheless.

Be careful if you head to the Tenderloin district/City Hall area... Lots of great restaurants and bars, but also lots of crackheads and people shooting up on the street.

Don't listen to all the crap people say about SF... it is truly a beautiful city with lots to see and do. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Edited: grammar