Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia Senate panel shoots down gun control bills

Virginia Senate panel shoots down gun control bills

A Virginia Senate panel on Monday killed several gun control initiatives pushed by Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe, including bills to require universal background checks on gun show sales and reinstatement of the state’s recently-lifted ban on purchasing more than one handgun per month.

The Courts of Justice Committee mostly rejected bills that tried to impose further restrictions on gun ownership. Senators also voted down other proposals that would have prevented people subject to protective orders from possessing firearms and would have revoked the concealed carry permits of people who fall behind on child support payments.

“I am disappointed to see these common-sense measures to keep Virginians safe fall to special interest politics,” Mr. McAuliffe said in a statement. “Too many families in Virginia and across the nation have lost loved ones to gun crimes that these proposals could help prevent.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-control-bill/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Thank god the Courts of Justice committee doesn't approve ignoring the Constitution like the governor and NObama do

Little bit of bias by the washingtontimes towards Phillip with their photo and caption.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    A Virginia Senate panel on Monday killed several gun control initiatives pushed by Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe, including bills to require universal background checks on gun show sales and reinstatement of the state’s recently-lifted ban on purchasing more than one handgun per month.

The Courts of Justice Committee mostly rejected bills that tried to impose further restrictions on gun ownership. Senators also voted down other proposals that would have prevented people subject to protective orders from possessing firearms and would have revoked the concealed carry permits of people who fall behind on child support payments.

“I am disappointed to see these common-sense measures to keep Virginians safe fall to special interest politics,” Mr. McAuliffe said in a statement. “Too many families in Virginia and across the nation have lost loved ones to gun crimes that these proposals could help prevent.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-control-bill/
    Special Interest Groups? So what are Everytown, MAIG, Brady, ad nauseum? Are you going to have to give back all of your Bloomberg contributions because you failed to get his legislation pushed through committee?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Let me fix it for you Guvnor:
    “Too many families in Virginia and across the nation have lost loved ones to gun crimes conditions that these proposals could help prevent create.”

Neither Terry McAwful nor his puppet master Bloomie care a thing about the lives of those whom they would subject. Facts and truth are their enemies; lies and distortion, their tools.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    Little bit of bias by the washingtontimes towards Phillip with their photo and caption.
    Not the most flattering, for sure, but as far as media goes, the Washington Times is certainly more friendly than most others. Remember, this is where Emily Miller worked when she wrote her series on how to get a gun in DC.

TFred

Better now?

Better now?

Sorry, I missed what has changed.

clicking the more below the photo yields the full caption but the way it appears on the main page (Philip Van Cleave (right) President of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, laughs ....) still sounds an off key note.....

Philip Van Cleave (right) President of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, laughs as Virginia Secretary of Public Safety and Homeland Security Brian Moran (center) gives a "thumbs up." The two were on opposite sides of a number of gun-related bills, most of which were rejected by the The Courts of Justice Committee. (Associated Press)

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/multi...#ixzz3Q3IjyhG9
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
    Last edited by wrearick; 01-27-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Sorry, I missed what has changed.
    This is the caption currently shown me
    Brad Whitehead of Manchester, England fires a fully automatic machine gun at Machine Guns Vegas Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014, in Las Vegas. Most visitors to Machine Guns Vegas have already pulled the trigger on an Uzi or an M5

Not so fast: Favola's SB943 gets a redo

Seems whining and howling will get results:

Senate committee to vote again on gun bill
    A Senate committee will vote again Wednesday on a gun control bill that appeared to pass on Monday but actually failed.

Favola said she was upset because supporters who spoke to the committee thought it had passed. News media and a gun rights organization also reported passage after the vote.

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar
    Great to see some legislators are supporting the Constitution!

Hopefully Gov. Terry McAuliffe's days in office are numbered.
    "Nullification is the rightful remedy" Thomas Jefferson
    http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter...-preservation/

"Constitutional Carry is not an oxymoron"
    A Sovereign

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Thomas Jefferson

This is the caption currently shown me
    under the lead picture....yes

There are also various video clips, adds, AND a picture of PHILLIP Van CLEAVE with the caption I have been discussing.

Evidently you, like content providers, assume all browsers the same.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I requested reprint permission for the photo of Philip (for The Defender) and received this:
    "I’m afraid we cannot allow our photos to be used for any sort of political use. That would include your newsletter, as you are essentially a lobbying group holding a particular position on issues of a political nature. I’m very sorry that I can’t be more help."

If you see any of those photos elsewhere, please let me know.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Hard to believe that McAuliffe is so delusional. Glad they got shot down.

Quote Originally Posted by SovereigntyOrDeath View Post
    Great to see some legislators are supporting the Constitution!

Hopefully Gov. Terry McAuliffe's days in office are numbered.
    His days in office are numbered, no matter what. The Virginia Constitution prohibits governors from serving consecutive terms in office (although there is no limit on the total number of terms they can serve, they just can't be consecutive). The last governor to be elected to multiple terms was Patrick Henry, in 1784, although George William Smith was Acting Governor twice in 1811 (for 4 days in January, and then again from April until December) before being elected to the office in December of that year, just in time to die in a fire.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Nightmare, please go back and reread my post. I am referring to a specific photo and the caption that appeared with THAT photo. No matter what browser you are using you should be able to find the picture and caption.
    Last edited by wrearick; 01-28-2015 at 10:59 AM.

duplicate
    Last edited by wrearick; 01-28-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Seems whining and howling will get results:

Senate committee to vote again on gun bill
    Senate Committee reverses itself. Capitulation?

This time, gun bill passes Virginia Senate committee
    After confusion Monday about whether a gun control measure had passed or failed in a Senate committee, the bill was reconsidered today.

This time, SB943 passed.

Today, Norment accepted blame.

"Some confusion developed, of which I will take responsibility for," he said.

He bristled, however, at the idea of any "backroom shenanigans."

Favola narrowed down her bill to gain GOP support. An amendment by Sen. Bill Stanley, R-Franklin County, shortened from five years to one year the amount of time someone would lose ability to possess a firearm after a conviction.

Norment asked for a roll call vote today. The bill passed 10-4, with Norment among Republicans in support. Favola thanked him "for your statesmanlike leadership on this issue."
    In reversal, Senate panel advances gun bill
    In a somewhat surprising reversal of fortune, the Senate Courts of Justice Committee on Wednesday reconsidered and approved an amended version of a gun possession bill it had rejected just two days earlier.

Angered and surprised, gun control advocates cried foul. The ensuing brouhaha persuaded Norment to let Favola present her bill to the committee's Wednesday meeting.

"I am pleased that the committee was willing to take a small step to protect women from abusers," said Favola, who called her legislation a "common sense" measure. "I will be back with more measures next year."

Gun rights advocates who opposed the bill on Monday were noncommittal, but not altogether discouraged, by the bill's advancement Wednesday, given that it includes a provision for the restoration of gun rights in those cases that is not currently available.

"I wouldn't say that we are definitely against the bill," said Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a gun rights group.

He said that while "we don't like the idea of misdemeanors taking away rights," the restoration provision in Favola's bill makes it potentially "acceptable."

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    "I will be back with more measures next year."

And the next year and the next and the next, until there is nothing left to make illegal. Even looking at a picture of a gun will be illegal.
    Then there were four monkeys

Beware the pale rider.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-28-2015 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    "I will be back with more measures next year."

And the next year and the next and the next, until there is nothing left to make illegal. Even looking at a picture of a gun will be illegal.
    Gun owners thus learned by experience that their opponents were not interested in genuine compromise, where each party gives up something to the other. Their opponents had no stopping point, no exit strategy, no “enough is enough.” Under these conditions, real compromise is impossible. Any concession given would not be a stopping point, but rather a stepping stone to further restrictions.

Intelligent actions are usually founded upon experience. Gun owners’ experiences have taught them one lesson: there is no true compromise to be had.
    -- Gun Owners, Gun Legislation, and Compromise, David T. Hardy, Thomas M. Cooley Law Review, V31N1, 2014

There is nothing that can be offered in exchange for giving up my rights under the 2nd Amendment - compromise is too tight a shoe and affects my posture grievously.

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    -snip- The last governor to be elected to multiple terms was Patrick Henry, in 1784, although George William Smith was Acting Governor twice in 1811 (for 4 days in January, and then again from April until December) before being elected to the office in December of that year, just in time to die in a fire.

What about Mills E. Godwin, Jr.? Governor twice from 1966-1970 and from 1974-1978, first as a Democrat then as again as a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by markmopar View Post
    What about Mills E. Godwin, Jr.? Governor twice from 1966-1970 and from 1974-1978, first as a Democrat then as again as a Republican.
    He was never a Republican. Just another RINO, just like Jeb Bush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast