• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carried "empty holster" into Foster and Smith retail store, Rhinelander. Wi

Wstar425

Open carried "empty holster" into Foster and Smith retail store, Rhinelander. Wi

I Out walking dog and decided to run into town and look for some dog boots as snow is crusty and icey. Walk 4-8 miles a day, much of it on snowshoes. Dog is a German Shepherd. I know two people real well at FS, the asst. manager and one of the clerks. No gun sign on door. I normally avoid these places or buy from the competition. I had the dog with me.

Carrying a 6" S&W 686 Plus, kinda my foul weather trail gun. Normally carry a Sig 226 SAO. So, I had a long leather holster sticking out under my goose down vest. Vest ends right at the holster, I can tuck it in behind firearm or it sort of lays on top, but it won't cover the butt of the firearm as it is too tight.

So, left firearm in car, walked I with empty holster. Very easy to see, but not so easy to tell if there was a gun in it or not. I don't think anyone could have told by looking. Stepped inside door and off to the side as several people were on the way out. Dog sat nicely. One of my friends on first cash register, she came around said hi and pet dog. Had about 4 people come over in first minute to say hi and pet. Manager (female) came over and kind of asked/said they have a no gun policy. I picked up my vest and said I'm aware of that, I left it in my car. She said thank you, I replied I'm aware of it, but not happy about it.

Went and did my shopping, came around a corner and the manager was standing there with some dog treats. She asked if she could ask me a question, but she didn't want to offend me. I said there's nothing you could say that would offend me. She wanted to know why I carried a gun. Said I have a God given, natural, and unalienable right to defend myself. Do you know what unalienable means? She didn't.

So, she stood there and talked to me for a good 30 minutes about firearms, open carry, the Constitution, Second Amendment, carrying in church, along with a bunch of other things. We had a real nice conversation. Said they are just trying to protect their customers. I asked what kind of protection do you have in place? She looked confused. I asked do you think someone willing to rob, kill, rape, kidnap is going to stop because of a sign? That seemed to stump her a little. She had no idea about Wisconsin open carry laws, I told her I carry into my bank, supper clubs, gas stations, and everywhere except the PO, courthouse, and police stations.

She said she didn't know much about guns. I told her I could put her in touch with a husband wife NRA instructor team. She seemed mostly uninterested in that. She said the decision to put up the sign was not hers. I asked her if she knew the sign put the responsibily for my safety in their store on them, and not me? We talked about that a little and she said she would look into that, and again they were just concerned for the safety of their customers.

It will be interesting to hear what my friend that works there has to say. I said some things I wanted, some things I wish I had said differently. I was able to remain calm and mostly coherent!

Last edited:

Wstar425

I'm taking the boots back, for a refund hopefully. Never really got them on and never worn outside. She sees me getting them out of the box now, and heads for another room. I don't see it happening. Real potential to get bit, she's a big baby but NOT wearing these.

I bought a yellow plastic banana that I intend to put in my 686 holster when I go back in and try to return. I don't plan on making a scene about it, but I will talk if someone asks me.