• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill proposes guns to be taken from extreme people

Primus

No recordings surfaced to bolster Whitlach's version of events, and after a state lawmaker questioned the arrest, the city attorney's office took another look. Prosecutors dismissed the conviction, and the police department apologized for the arrest and returned his golf club. [from link above]

Guy have to sign a receipt?
David what are you holding in that photo? A big stick?

Dave_pro2a

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2025578995_apxpoliceraidgirlkilled.html
A judge has dismissed the last charge against a Detroit police officer who fatally shot a 7-year-old girl during a raid in 2010.

Weekley shot Aiyana Stanley-Jones as she slept on a couch in a Detroit home.

[the killer cop] says he accidentally pulled the trigger after Aiyana's grandmother grabbed his gun. She denies that.

The raid was recorded by a reality TV crew

The system works perfectly [/sarcasm]

There are too many guns in the hands of extreme people, unfortunately a ton of those people wear blue -- and get special treatment/protection from the crown when they misuse firearms that us peasants don't get.

Last edited:

OC Freedom

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2025578995_apxpoliceraidgirlkilled.html

The system works perfectly [/sarcasm]

There are too many guns in the hands of extreme people, unfortunately a ton of those people wear blue -- and get special treatment/protection from the crown when they misuse firearms that us peasants don't get.

Cops in the top ten jobs that attract Psychopaths, it just can't be.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2013/01/05/the-top-10-jobs-that-attract-psychopaths/

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/seven-reasons-police-brutality-is-systematic-not-anecdotal/

OC for ME

Before you get your fruit of the looms all knotted, take some time and read how the law provides for due process. Nothing happens until after a hearing before a judge who's decision is subject to appeal.
...a hearing...a appeal...due process...now that is funny. We all should know that a cop's "misunderstanding" of the law cannot be grounds to hold him to account for violating that law. Since this is now a truism, the cop's definition of extreme is to be taken as nebulous.

Then why restrict at all? To feel good about ones self after he injures someone?

I had Troops who were not allowed access to .gov weaponry of any kind after a conviction of domestic violence. The Army does not take it lightly.
Primus, I see your team has a similar policy. Smart. We all have a propensity to violence, it is how we channel that urge/skill that defines our civility.
For context.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by OC for ME Make sure that there is no exemption for citizens who are cops. Depending on the state, a wife beater, who is a cop, cannot possess a gat unless he is on duty that requires he to possess a gat.
Please reread the second statement.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
For context.
Please reread the second statement.

I think we are in agreement. There should be no exemption for anyone. A "loop hole" to allow someone "convicted" (not accused) of not being able to control ones anger should be an across the board ban. I would not like to cover the insurance for a LEO that shot a Civilian in a situation such as this.

Are we in agreement on this?

Dave_pro2a

IDK, taking guns away from "extreme people" might end up being a great idea:
http://www.talkofthesound.com/conte...w-guns-black-youths-over-snow-ball-fight-nsfw

two video clips posted on social media that appear to show a New Rochelle Police office draw his firearm and aim to at a youth kneeling in the snow after police responded to calls of a disturbance which one witness described as a snow ball fight.... The video shows an NRPD officer using obscene language, ordering the already-kneeling youths to remain down....

We know his name of the police officer but are withholding it at this time. We will says that he is a Superior Officer (i.e., Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain)...

For readers who are new to Talk of the Sound and not clear why we do not have information from the New Rochelle Police Department, we have been banned by New Rochelle Police Commissioner Patrick Carroll from attending daily press briefings, press conferences, or otherwise getting answers to questions in person, over the telephone or email.

Extreme!

OC for ME

I think we are in agreement. There should be no exemption for anyone. A "loop hole" to allow someone "convicted" (not accused) of not being able to control ones anger should be an across the board ban. I would not like to cover the insurance for a LEO that shot a Civilian in a situation such as this.

Are we in agreement on this?
I'm not sure. I am loath to revoke any individual rights based on a claim of harm, or a claim of possible future harm. If harm is done then prosecute as the law allows. Being branded a wife beater is not the same as beating your wife.

So, if conviction via a court of law is the standard, yes, I say that we agree. Yet, that is not how the law, or the courts, work today. A unsubstantiated allegation is all that is need to suspend or revoke individual rights. If a cop is alleged to be a wife beater, no gun for him either on duty or off. Unfortunately, this is not the case in all states.

Cop shops retain wife beating cops and issue them a gun every day.

Difdi

Make sure that there is no exemption for citizens who are cops. Depending on the state, a wife beater, who is a cop, cannot possess a gat unless he is on duty that requires he to possess a gat.

Or better yet, not be able to carry one at all. Law enforcement has about the same crime rate as the general public does for almost every crime except sexual assault and domestic violence. Why should people who are at best no better than anyone else get a professional exemption no one else does?

Maybe not in your generation, but likely in your children's.

I've heard it said that any abuse you don't successfully oppose in your own generation will be accepted as normal in your children's generation.

amlevin

I've heard it said that any abuse you don't successfully oppose in your own generation will be accepted as normal in your children's generation.

Not exactly the norm. Children of alcoholics or drug abusers very often become extremely anti-alcohol/drugs. Same for kids that have been subjected to corporal punishment. Their children are never spanked.

In many cases those who are abused go out of their way to avoid abusive type individuals and at the first sign will 'take a hike'. Having watched it all their young lives they want nothing to do with it in the rest of their lives and make sure that their children aren't subjected to it.

Times have changed from my generation when children were subjected to beatings (as well as wives) and it was considered somewhat acceptable. A holdover from historic times when the Men ruled the house.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
http://www.guns.com/2015/02/09/lawm...alse-gun-violence-restraining-order-a-felony/

The law in question, which passed the state legislature as AB 1014 last year, provides a framework for the temporary seizure of guns from an individual at the request of their family or friends.

It was implemented following an attack in Isla Vista, California, that gun control advocates advised could have been prevented under the new procedure, which allows firearms to be confiscated for up to a year if an order is granted. However, Assemblymember Melissa Melendez, R-Lake Elsinore, is concerned that it is too easy to abuse.

Is this an intelligent thought from a legislator? It is an "after the fact" kind of thing.