• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Female owner of gun range bans muslims

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
The range is probably indeed violating the public accommodations provision of the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, though that’s not completely clear. The Act applies to only particular classes of businesses: [qv]
[ ... ]
But, in any event, Arkansas antidiscrimination law is broader, and does cover shooting ranges that are generally open to the public: ... http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-16/subtitle-7/chapter-123/subchapter-1/16-123-102/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../may-arkansas-shooting-range-exclude-muslims/

OTOH, if the range operates as a private club, it is exempt and can pick and choose which persons are allowed to use the range. Most ranges I know require membership.

Kopis

Funny article

In the five months since Jan Morgan banned Muslims from her gun range in Hot Springs, Ark., business has boomed and predictions of a lawsuit brought by federal civil rights enforcers have so far proved inaccurate.

Morgan claims business has “quadrupled” with people from out of state coming to the range and some even offering donations for what they predict will be a legal battle. She also said she has been threatened, which she responded to by posting her home address on the range website and daring those issuing threats to do so in person.

“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about,” Morgan wrote under an image of her packing heat.

i half suspect business was down so she did this as a publicity stunt. Free advertising. Hot springs is mostly rednecks who will come out of the woodworks to support her.

.... but she has gotten threats, which she brushed off.

duh, she's obviously armed and well trained.

result in a hostile environment for ordinary Muslims in Arkansas

i used to live there. it's just hostile for muslims period.

utbagpiper

Banned
Interestingly, while the government will presume to tell the owner that she can't discriminate, it will also turn around and hold her liable if one of her customers does something untoward while using the range or perhaps even with a gun purchased at the store. She is expected to discriminate individually against anyone who gives the slightest hint that he might do something bad, but is barred from discriminating against groups that she believes may pose a higher risk of having members likely to do something bad. We don't trust her judgment when it comes to groups, but will require almost super-human judgment and prescience when it comes to individuals. Makes sense to me.

Personally, I think her blanket ban of everyone she suspects of being Muslim is about as intelligent as the typical public-school "zero tolerance" policy. OTOH, it is her business and I think it rather presumptuous of anyone else to tell her how to run it so long as she is running it peacefully. And I say this as a member of a religion probably only slightly less unpopular in her neck of the woods than is Islam.

Charles

HPmatt

...And I say this as a member of a religion probably only slightly less unpopular in her neck of the woods than is Islam.

I think you greatly exaggerate the perception - from my experience in Texas- that Mormons are to be feared for wanting to cut off heads of unbelievers. Houston, Dallas, Austin, and El Paso included. Might be some resentment (of anyone) in deep East Texas woods like Liberty or Woodville, but certainly not medium to larger towns in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utbagpiper

Banned
I think you greatly exaggerate the perception - from my experience in Texas- that Mormons are to be feared for wanting to cut off heads of unbelievers. Houston, Dallas, Austin, and El Paso included. Might be some resentment (of anyone) in deep East Texas woods like Liberty or Woodville, but certainly not medium to larger towns in Texas.

I do exaggerate a bit, I'm sure. But maybe not as much as some may suppose.

While anti-discrimination laws and such will keep a damper on various feelings of unkindness, they are still far too common. Mormons are not generally to be feared over any threat of physical violence. But to some sects, Mormons present an even greater risk: the risk of drawing away "real Christians" into a cult such that those Christians lose their souls by being tricked into worshiping the "wrong" Jesus. And it isn't like the incidents involving the Polygamous FLDS in Waco did much to engender even mainstream Mormons to many who are still not quite sure that the LDS Church ended the practice of polygamy some 100 years ago.

This is, of course, mostly off topic, and mostly in good fun on my part, except to point out that when I suggest a business owner in the South be legally permitted to engage in peaceful discrimination that I and others find offensive, it is with full knowledge that said business owner may very well apply such discrimination to me and mine. It isn't like I'm just ok with the other guy being denied service while I presume I would never have an issue. I believe there are a few, rare business owners who deny service to me on pretty much equal basis to those rare, few business owners who would deny service to Muslims or any other minority group.

To paraphrase something Jefferson supposedly said about mandatory education: I think it is better (at least in 2015 and the future) to tolerate the rare case of a business owner discriminating, than it is to give government the power to prevent all such discrimination.

On some issues, my libertarian side pokes through a bit. :)

Charles

twoskinsonemanns

A despicable policy. I wouldn't give them my business. Of course she has the right to do it and I respect it.

The Truth

Just a guess, but I think I hear the whistle of two trains on the same track.

orig-75486b08-1422-11f2-0a62930e58129e18.jpg

OC for ME

bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
This term is too often flung at folks. She stated exactly why she prohibits Muslims on her website. http://janmorganmedia.com/2014/09/business-muslim-free-zone/

Does she hate Muslims? I do not know. I suspect that her being labeled a bigot to be uncivil and bigoted.

Custodian

She is a certifiable cutie to be reasonably xenophobic.

I can't hate on any woman who handles guns too much Or owns a firearm related business.

After reading her reasons, I get why she does what she does as a private business owner.

You know if only someone else had the guts to be just as concerned about a cadre of middle eastern men being taught how to fly planes without learning how to land, in oh say around the years 2000 to 2001? And perhaps just maybe we'll barring them from learning?

In the end, her business, her livelihood, her cause, her call.

Last edited: