• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bus with living quarters - what are the rules?

The Truth

Say a politician is on a campaign trail and is living in a tour bus going cross country. What are the rules regarding firearms in tour buses? I was just wondering. Is the tour bus considered a dwelling? Do state to state laws apply? I'm just wondering if the politician would need a permit for every state he or she goes through.

Any insight is welcome!

Grim_Night

Say a politician is on a campaign trail and is living in a tour bus going cross country. What are the rules regarding firearms in tour buses? I was just wondering. Is the tour bus considered a dwelling? Do state to state laws apply? I'm just wondering if the politician would need a permit for every state he or she goes through.

Any insight is welcome!

I believe that is a matter of state law. Different states have different requirements.

The Truth

I wonder what said politician might have to spend - both in time and money - to be able to freely travel with a pistol in all of the Continental US states. Seems like quite an investment.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There is only one "campaign trail" ticket that a politician would be doing in more than one state: the Presidential campaign. I'm not sure who is going to make it that far without already having this figured out and financed.

The Truth

There is only one "campaign trail" ticket that a politician would be doing in more than one state: the Presidential campaign. I'm not sure who is going to make it that far without already having this figured out and financed.

Well the cat's out of the bag - I'm running for President and need to know. Thanks!

utbagpiper

Banned
I wonder what said politician might have to spend - both in time and money - to be able to freely travel with a pistol in all of the Continental US states. Seems like quite an investment.

So far as I know, it is impossible for a private citizen to do this legally as there is more than one State that is both discriminatory issue and doesn't issue non-resident permits. I guess I should say, "effectively impossible" as most States permit a gun to carried in a vehicle if the gun is locked up and not usable. So your candidate could carry a non-usable gun in his bus, would generally be able to carry it into his hotel room, and then go lock it back up on the bus.

But, anyone getting that far on the presidential campaign trail is likely to be credible enough to have Secret Service protection available and so doesn't need to worry about how to handle his own security.

Or, he has sufficient finances to hire private security who can do the private security guard path in each State as needed.

But it sure would be nice if our RKBA was respected nationwide with half the zeal as the federal courts have put into protecting non-enumerate "rights" found in the "penumbra".

Charles

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Well the cat's out of the bag - I'm running for President and need to know. Thanks!

I don't know what you have already, but I can certify you for UT, NV, and FL permits, and will do so on the house if you come here. That will get you at least 32 states.

We can get into details later as many states won't need the permit for just having it in a vehicle, and there are some states with different rules depending on whether the coach is parked or on the highways. As mentioned, it can change in every state.

Last edited:

The Truth

I don't know what you have already, but I can certify you for UT, NV, and FL permits, and will do so on the house if you come here. That will get you at least 32 states.

We can get into details later as many states won't need the permit for just having it in a vehicle, and there are some states with different rules depending on whether the coach is parked or on the highways. As mentioned, it can change in every state.

Well as President I'll likely refuse to get a permit, ever, since I'd be sponsoring a nationwide Constitutional Carry Bill. :lol:

Intriguing proposal though. Which states are a no go for out-of-staters even with a permit?

I feel like someone I know made an unsubstantiated claim that in the actual bunk where you would sleep went by the same rules as if it were your home. I've been trying to figure out whether he was bsing or not, and have no choice but to discredit his statement.

SovereigntyOrDeath

Well as President I'll likely refuse to get a permit, ever, since I'd be sponsoring a nationwide Constitutional Carry Bill. :lol:

Intriguing proposal though. Which states are a no go for out-of-staters even with a permit?

I feel like someone I know made an unsubstantiated claim that in the actual bunk where you would sleep went by the same rules as if it were your home. I've been trying to figure out whether he was bsing or not, and have no choice but to discredit his statement.

I would bet Kalifornia.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I will not pretend to be an expert on California (and would be a skeptic of anyone who said they were), but I believe CA is actually very good about a coach being your home while it is parked, with full home defense firearms allowed at the ready. They just suck at laws when you aren't at home.

Red Dawg

MD for one. Stories written about even active cops getting the crap for carrying through MD.. Please, I'm not gonna cite, but ready about the one on here..

Grim_Night

MD for one. Stories written about even active cops getting the crap for carrying through MD.. Please, I'm not gonna cite, but ready about the one on here..

Shall Issue to Residents Only:
Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Guam, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington

May Issue to Residents Only:
California, Delaware, Hawaii, New York City, Virgin Islands

May Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York

In total, you will need 13 permits in order to be able to carry in all but California and Hawaii: Resident permit from CO, non resident permits from WA, OR, NV, IL, NY, ME, SC, MA, NJ, MD, CT, and RI.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That source is incorrect.

Just from the ones I know, Oregon is shall-issue to residents and property/business owners only. It is may-issue to neighboring states' residents only. All others are SOL.

And California is may-issue to non-residents. It's just even harder to get and good for only a short period of time, and it might be good only in the county, not the state, not sure, don't care.

Last edited:

The Truth

This is a question I've always found curious... the hoops one would need to hop and twist through to actually be able to carry anywhere. I've got an offer for "on the house" training, but what would this cost your average peeon? $2K or more? Every 3-5 years?

*gets pulled over in a tour bus*

*pulls out 13 different CC permits*

"pick one, officer!"

*gets a ticket due to officer ignorance of the law and has gun confiscated*

:banghead:

HPmatt

I would claim the bus as my homestead. Produce a warrant before you can sesrch my castle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
In regard to presidential campaign, the Secret Service is authorized by law (18 United States Code § 3056) to protect:

Major presidential and vice presidential candidates and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election. As defined in statute, the term "major presidential and vice presidential candidates" means those individuals identified as such by the Secretary of Homeland Security after consultation with an advisory committee.

The Secret Service provides protection for major candidates, unless declined.

The Secret Service has no role in determining who is to be considered a major candidate. The Secretary of the Homeland Security determines who qualifies as a major candidate and when such protection should commence under the authority of Title 18, United States Code, Section 3056. This determination is made in consultation with an advisory committee comprised of the following individuals:

Speaker of the House
House Minority Whip
Senate Majority Leader
Senate Minority Leader
One additional member chosen by the committee

SovereigntyOrDeath

I will not pretend to be an expert on California (and would be a skeptic of anyone who said they were), but I believe CA is actually very good about a coach being your home while it is parked, with full home defense firearms allowed at the ready. They just suck at laws when you aren't at home.

I'm no expert, just grew up there and watched how the state turned into Kalifornia due to the liberal, oppressive ilk of Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstien, and now Brown again!

Not a place I would raise my kids.

The straw was a law they passed that allowed transgender kids to use the opposite sex's bathrooms and locker rooms. No thanks. See Ya.

Wstar425

So far as I know, it is impossible for a private citizen to do this legally as there is more than one State that is both discriminatory issue and doesn't issue non-resident permits. I guess I should say, "effectively impossible" as most States permit a gun to carried in a vehicle if the gun is locked up and not usable. So your candidate could carry a non-usable gun in his bus, would generally be able to carry it into his hotel room, and then go lock it back up on the bus.

But, anyone getting that far on the presidential campaign trail is likely to be credible enough to have Secret Service protection available and so doesn't need to worry about how to handle his own security.

Or, he has sufficient finances to hire private security who can do the private security guard path in each State as needed.

But it sure would be nice if our RKBA was respected nationwide with half the zeal as the federal courts have put into protecting non-enumerate "rights" found in the "penumbra".

Charles

I think this hits most of the important points, to the best of my knowledge.

I've been hauling a firearm around the country for years in a semi. CA, but no east coast for years. I used to haul a handgun into NYC back in the 80's every week. The common thought is that your sleeper is your home, and you're gonna need RAS and a warrant to go there. I've been inspected by the DOT, Border Patrol, CA Highway Patrol, and any other organization that can put 3-5 letters together in a row. No one has asked to look in the sleeper, or even get in my cab. The closest has been the Border Patrol at the Constitution Free Zone checkpoints 75 miles from the border. They want to know if you have anyone in your sleeper, and you have to turn on the lights. They have only looked in while standing outside the cab on the step. Some operations are team and there would legitimately be a guy/gal sleeping back there but if you have 20 people stacked in there like cordwood you probably have some explaining to do. My favorite part is being asked to "state your citizenship" by a guy who can barely speak English, and that I can not understand at all.

Now, I might have just been extremely lucky and not run into the right/wrong guy. I've never been asked about a firearm. Another one of our drivers has said numerous times that he has told CHP that he has a firearm in his sleeper, and they didn't want to know about it or didn't care. It's the clowns in Sacremento that are the problem, the guy in the squad car probably thinks you should have one? Not all I'm sure. I tend to believe him as he is not really a BSer, but I always figured I would take the other tack and lie about it. I have a gun safe bolted down in my sleeper, my firearm is in there whenever I am not sleeping, and even most places that I do sleep unless I am in a shady area. Sleep some in Oakland and Vernon as well as other spots in and around LA. With one eye open. I've heard gunshots in Vernon on numerous occasions. The bigger issue to me was always what happens if you actually have to fire your weapon? You would probably be better off to just hand them the keys, ask if they would let you get your suitcase, and say have a nice trip. Otherwise, you probably just became a permanent resident of CA, not that there is anything wrong with that!

I've researched this some about legally carrying across the country. It's about impossible, even taking out CA, NY, MA and NJ and I'm not sure if you would get it figured out or go crazy first. Whether I have any of this right, or if it applies to a bus, your guess is as good as mine.

Finally, you don't know me, but You have my vote for President.

Last edited: