• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need help

mcalvert

So i am a 20 year old from Iowa and i have been planning on getting my weapons permit on my 21st and as soon as i get it, buy a hundgun and start OCing. Fyi Iowa requires a permit to carry for either concealed or open(unfortunately).

What my problem is is convincing my immediate family that OC is a good idea. They are along the mindset that if I OC i will just be painting a target on my back for both Criminals and LEOs alike. How do I go about trying to convince them I have done my research and have made my decision accordingly.

Note i may also CC at the same time.

since9

Campaign Veteran
How do I go about trying to convince them I have done my research and have made my decision accordingly.

Frankly, you don't. Everyone will have their own opinions on no carry vs CC vs OC. Your best bet is to double-check that you've done your homework well, and carry or not carry based on the results of your own research and convictions.

Surf this site and you'll find a wide range of carefully-considered opinions about a great many OC-related topics.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Your family is correct.

Why, just last week I should have been shot first at least three times by the local cops just at the WaWa, and would have been again at 7-11 had not the cop behind me had his hands full with a cup of coffee and a donut. Instead, he commented about ivory grips on my 625:lol: I think the only thing that saved me at WalMart was that nobody was robbing it at the time.

Your family is going to believe what they want to, whether it is politics or religion or that you will be the first one shot if you OC. If following your own decision will cause you to be thrown out of the house, disinherited, and shunned and you find those things objectionable do not OC. If those things will not happen, or you don't care about them if they do happen, go ahead and OC.

While it's not considered Good Form[SUP]TM[/SUP] to announce to your family every time you were not shot first, keeping a checklist on the refrigerator of when you were and were not is probably OK.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
What is this...a forum on hypnosis?

Just tell them that you'll do it your way and they can do it their's.

And see who ends up taking a dirt nap sooner..

stealthyeliminator

It is irritating that so many people hold their initial reactions to the idea of something up as a worthwhile opinion on a matter to someone that has actually researched the topic. Just tell them to trust you, or at least research and educate themselves before trying to influence you one way or the other. It's actually pretty offensive, in my opinion, for someone that knows nothing about a subject to try and influence someone that has actually gone through the trouble of researching and forming an educated opinion, especially if they try to use their relationship to affect the influence as if that has anything to do with the subject.

Honestly if my family gave me a hard time about OC, I'd probably get a shirt or jacket with a big target on the back and wear it while OCing just for lols. Perhaps even send them daily updates, survival drama style for extra sarcasm: "January 30th, 9:42pm - today I went to town for supplies. Despite having both a figurative and literal target on my back, I was able to make it in and out alive again. The lack of stress or worry during the operation is beginning to trouble me. Am I just going crazy? Or have the warnings of imminent murder due to the open carry of a firearm been overplayed?"

paramedic70002

Tell them if they can cite five instances of this happening to a lawful civilian, you will consider it. Then if they can (highly doubtful since I don't think there have been that many, ever) point out that 5 out of 320,000,000 (US population) is a reasonable consideration to your position. BTW 5 divided by 320,000,000 = a 0.000000015625 chance of it ever happening. Seems like a good bet, to me.

stealthyeliminator

Tell them if they can cite five instances of this happening to a lawful civilian, you will consider it. Then if they can (highly doubtful since I don't think there have been that many, ever) point out that 5 out of 320,000,000 (US population) is a reasonable consideration to your position. BTW 5 divided by 320,000,000 = a 0.000000015625 chance of it ever happening. Seems like a good bet, to me.

Hell, I'd put down my life savings on those odds.

twoskinsonemanns

I'd say you're too worried about what others think of you. After a couple years of uneventful OCing maybe they will come around... or not. Who cares.
Once a person has become a man they must make their own choices and accept the consequences of their actions. The only thing that matters is your own convictions. To hell with everyone else.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Required to have a license to carry firearms appears to be in conflict with Section 1, Article 1 of the Iowa's Constitution.

Rights of persons.
SECTION 1. All men and women are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inalienable rights - among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Required to have a license to carry firearms appears to be in conflict with Section 1, Article 1 of the Iowa's Constitution.

Rights of persons.

I came back to see if the OP had posted that he had reached a decision, and if so what it was.

How does your post help the OP decide what to do, or advance the discussion of dealing with parental/family influence against OCing?

stay safe.

SovereigntyOrDeath

Required to have a license to carry firearms appears to be in conflict with Section 1, Article 1 of the Iowa's Constitution.Rights of persons.

Not sure about the conflict. The section below does not specify the means by which to protect or defend with. On the other hand, it does not prohibit by which means one can exercise said right. Interesting dilemma.

SECTION 1. All men and women are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inalienable rights - among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness.

Great approach and ammunition for the OP to show his family that even the Constitution of Iowa calls for defending and protecting ones possessions and life. The law is on his side. The tool he uses to accomplish same should be up to him as an adult, as long as he is within the law.

Great angle.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

... even the Constitution of Iowa calls for defending and protecting ones possessions and life. .....

Great angle.

"Calls for"? And here I have always been under the impressiopn that rights were things that the government could not take away from you, rather than things the government made you do.

stay safe.