• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun activists are gaining ground

stealthyeliminator

Constitutional carry bills in both the House and the Senate are starting to gain co-signers. I feel as though momentum is continuing to grow. This is the first legislative session since the explosion of the grass roots movement for constitutional carry in this state and we won't accept anything less than recognition of our rights. A watered down, restrictive bill will not cut it, and there are thousands of Texans across the state poised to replace legislators that attempt to prevent the recognition of our rights by licensing open carry.
http://www.ammoland.com/2015/01/open-carry-activists-in-texas-gain-ground/

If you live in Texas please call your House and Senate representatives and express to them that you want them to co-sign and fully back constitutional carry. You can look up your representatives here: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx

Last edited:

fjpro2a

Good luck

I wish you luck, but, I am always pessimistic. Maybe it is in my genes. I honestly believe there will be a watered-down restrictive bill. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

rushcreek2

I remember when Texas Penal Code Section 46.02 was only applied in cases involving CRIMINAL CONDUCT.

Until 1995 Texas did not "regulate the wearing of arms" beyond the 46.02 "Unlawful Carry of Weapons".....which logically applies to the UNLAWFUL carry on weapons.

I suppose a change in the law is needed to clarify that the statute prohibiting the UNLAWFUL carry of weapons ...REALLY means the UNLAWFUL carry of weapons.............not simply the exercise of the right that EVERY citizen SHALL have ......in defense of self and the state.

Last edited:

Custodian

out to lunch

Sight unseen, hoping and praying that it all works out and then claim all credit when it passes.

That aside they are slowly sliding into irrelevancy by not being at the fore front or even In the crowd in the fight for the true second amendment right...the bearing portion. Guns are moot if they never leave the safe or your domicile.

Last edited:

jsimmons

The TSRA and NRA are against open carry in Texas. You would think that with only six states not currently allowing OC, the NRA would all over Texas OC like white on rice. It seems like an easy win for them at this point. I'm surprised they haven't stepped in with even token support in able to declare the victory when it passes. At the same time, I'm not surprised that they're not behind us on this.

WalkingWolf

The TSRA and NRA are against open carry in Texas. You would think that with only six states not currently allowing OC, the NRA would all over Texas OC like white on rice. It seems like an easy win for them at this point. I'm surprised they haven't stepped in with even token support in able to declare the victory when it passes. At the same time, I'm not surprised that they're not behind us on this.

They fear the constitution, it means a huge loss of income for them. Laws are needed for lobbyists to make money, even if they claim they are fighting for us. They really are fighting to make their bank accounts larger.

77zach

I've seen the NRA both support/celebrate unlicensed carry and ignore efforts to get it through, but never actively oppose it. I'm not sure about the theory of "if you get rid of all the gun laws the $ stops". I think that's probably bogus as the anti's are hungrier and more desperate than ever to disarm us even as we're winning. The NRA could always divert more resources to training and gun culture stuff, which is more in line with their original mission even if the right were never under attack again.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

I've seen the NRA both support/celebrate unlicensed carry and ignore efforts to get it through, but never actively oppose it. I'm not sure about the theory of "if you get rid of all the gun laws the $ stops". I think that's probably bogus as the anti's are hungrier and more desperate than ever to disarm us even as we're winning. The NRA could always divert more resources to training and gun culture stuff, which is more in line with their original mission even if the right were never under attack again.

Well, I can give you a link to an NRA rep actively opposing unlicensed carry, if you'd like. "Terrible bill" is how this particular NRA representative describes SB342, but if you look closely it is only because it touches his beloved 30.06 ********.

77zach

Well, I can give you a link to an NRA rep actively opposing unlicensed carry, if you'd like. "Terrible bill" is how this particular NRA representative describes SB342, but if you look closely it is only because it touches his beloved 30.06 ********.

I believe it, there is something missing from the email alert below.....

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...ferrals-public-hearings-may-not-be-far-behind

But they're pushing permitless carry in NH and SD...... I guess it varies from state to state.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
But they're pushing permitless carry in NH and SD...... I guess it varies from state to state.

So it seems.

The NRA supported permit-free carry in both Alaska (first State other than Vermont to recognize permit-free carry, I believe) as well as Arizona. They have also been supportive of permit-free carry bills in Utah. We passed a permit-free carry bill last year, but our governor vetoed it. We're trying again this year.

And for the record, I don't have any great love for the NRA nor their legislative track record. But I think facts are better than rank speculation or allegations.

Charles

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

“It is a rare sight to see someone slide up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms. Let’s not mince words, not only is it rare, it’s downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself.

NRA on open carry

Primus

“It is a rare sight to see someone slide up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms. Let’s not mince words, not only is it rare, it’s downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself.

NRA on open carry
Hey brother long gun carry discussion is against the rules. [emoji8]

WalkingWolf

Hey brother long gun carry discussion is against the rules. [emoji8]

If you have not noticed this is the Texas sub forum, AND LG carry is the only form of modern firearm carry acceptable in Texas. And I have no doubt you know this already. Stop with the passive aggressive tantrums already.

Primus

If you have not noticed this is the Texas sub forum, AND LG carry is the only form of modern firearm carry acceptable in Texas. And I have no doubt you know this already. Stop with the passive aggressive tantrums already.
Damn. Ya got me. Thanks for pointing out its in Texas subforum. My deepest apologies brother. Carry on.