Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: this subforum needs rename

  1. #1
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318

    this subforum needs rename

    Should be titled something like 'national news and political alerts' since anything that contains a post or article with the name of a specific state will be moved to another forum. Having ambiguous and overlapping sub forums is bad administration and is bad for the health of the forums in general.
    Advocate freedom please

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Should be titled something like 'national news and political alerts' since anything that contains a post or article with the name of a specific state will be moved to another forum. Having ambiguous and overlapping sub forums is bad administration and is bad for the health of the forums in general.
    The desire is to place a thread where it is most applicable.

    Limiting to "national news" creates the problem of where to post threads of equal importance to multiple states.

    People would seem to understand that.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The desire is to place a thread where it is most applicable.

    Limiting to "national news" creates the problem of where to post threads of equal importance to multiple states.

    People would seem to understand that.
    Meh. The effects of the Texas OC movement have been felt well outside the boundaries of Texas. People would seem to understand that.

    Two can play.

    Edit: Point is, a good forum layout means people create threads where they obviously fit, so they don't have to play the "where will grapeshot think the best fit is" game. When there is crossover and/or overlap, it creates frustration and ease of use problems. Especially with spotty or arbitrarily inconsistent application/enforcement. Rant over. Moving on.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 02-05-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Meh. The effects of the Texas OC movement have been felt well outside the boundaries of Texas. People would seem to understand that.

    Two can play.

    Edit: Point is, a good forum layout means people create threads where they obviously fit, so they don't have to play the "where will grapeshot think the best fit is" game. When there is crossover and/or overlap, it creates frustration and ease of use problems. Especially with spotty or arbitrarily inconsistent application/enforcement. Rant over. Moving on.
    Simple answer - do not just copy and paste. Change the verbiage and even link to the other sub forum.

    Have had to chase down posts that were being placed in every state.

    (7) NO SPAMMING: Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances! It is also considered spamming to post the same thread (even valid ones) to multiple forums.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-05-2015 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Simple answer - do not just copy and paste. Change the verbiage and even link to the other sub forum.

    Have had to chase down posts that were being placed in every state.

    (7) NO SPAMMING: Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances! It is also considered spamming to post the same thread (even valid ones) to multiple forums.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    No no, this is completely separate from the event threads I created in two state subforums because the event crossed state lines. This has to do with a news thread that has relevancy outside of Texas being moved to the Texas subforum. You're the one with the move thread tools, and it is your call, but IMO the forums are poorly laid out and poorly described. That's all I've got to say.
    Advocate freedom please

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    No no, this is completely separate from the event threads I created in two state subforums because the event crossed state lines. This has to do with a news thread that has relevancy outside of Texas being moved to the Texas subforum. You're the one with the move thread tools, and it is your call, but IMO the forums are poorly laid out and poorly described. That's all I've got to say.
    I think they're laid out rather well. Takes a minute's thought some times before you create a thread, but it's fairly straight forward.

    As for the state threads, if an issue pertains only one state, plunk it down in the state thread. If it pertains to two states, it might be ok to put it in both states. But if it pertains to three states, it probably pertains to even more, so it's best to create the thread in in one of the other areas of the forums.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  7. #7
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I think they're laid out rather well. Takes a minute's thought some times before you create a thread, but it's fairly straight forward.

    As for the state threads, if an issue pertains only one state, plunk it down in the state thread. If it pertains to two states, it might be ok to put it in both states. But if it pertains to three states, it probably pertains to even more, so it's best to create the thread in in one of the other areas of the forums.
    What pertains to more than one state? When the article doesn't mention a specific state? When the article is written by a national news corp instead of a local one? When the issue actually physically involves more than one state? Then maybe put it in both? Funny you should bring that up since that's precisely what I did in another instance, which led to the closing of one of the threads for "spamming" - maybe it isn't as straight forward as you believe. How can you know how grapeshot will think about a thread and where its "best fit" is? You can't. Go look through some of the "main," non-state-specific forums. See how many State names are in thread titles and then come back and explain how those threads do not pertain to a specific state and should not have been moved to state subforums.

    Then you have threads like this: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Bowl-safety-ad that were closed for not being "OPEN CARRY" related while in the same exact subforum there are administratively stickied threads that are no more related to open carry!

    It is not as straight forward as you think it is. It's incredibly frustrating. IMO the powers to be should do some real work checking other, better functioning forums and reconstruct some of this one, as well as rewrite the rules and hire or obtain additional administrators and moderators that can corroborate on decisions to help prevent arbitrary and inconsistent decisions.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 02-08-2015 at 08:40 AM.
    Advocate freedom please

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    --snipped-- How can you know how grapeshot will think about a thread and where its "best fit" is? You can't. Go look through some of the "main," non-state-specific forums.
    Again.....where someone is posting about a multi-state event.

    It is incredibly simple - do not just copy and paste. Change the verbiage and even link to the other sub forum.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •